Kilz is a brand known for its great primers. This primer has a thicker consistency compared to most non high build primers which helps achieve a more uniform finish. Clear Water-Based Interior/Exterior Binding Sealer (6-Pack) Home Depot $ … Oil Base Flat White Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer (Case of 4) sticks to any surface without sanding. An additional sealer may be required such as Kilz Oil Primer (found in an easy to use spray can). INSL-X Prime Lock is an excellent primer since its resin-based plus a wood … KILZ Mold and Mildew Primer blocks stains such as markers, lipstick, food stains, smoke, nicotine, grease and more. Kilz Max can block even the toughest of the stains, including the gray water damaging marks, greasy interiors, and smoking stains, thus making it an ideal primer. Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 1 Gal. This product adheres to multiple surfaces. Zinsser B-I-N Shellac-Based Stain Blocker-1 Quart. Kilz Drywall Primer is a low VOC primer that is also fast drying and easily applied by brush, roller, or sprayer. It may cover the stain initially, but after a week or so…..peek-a-boo! Kilz and Zinsser both offer ceiling paints for this purpose. The EPA registered active … If you are looking to conceal stains and marks that might be present on your wood, then this is your product- thanks to its high hiding formula. The quick-drying nature of the Zinsser Cover … Its thicker high hiding formula hides … Blocks water stains as well as stopping wood bleed. It blocks just about any simple stain and will effectively seal water, smoke, and nicotine stains not only is it good for the interior but is up there with the best exterior oil based … Use over and under alkyd, oil and water based paints, this primer dries … Kilz Upshot v. Zinsser Covers Up v. Zinsser Bin Shellac. KILZ 2 ALL-PURPOSE Primer blocks medium stains including minor water stains, rust, grease, ink, pencil and felt marker. Zinsser 03504 is arguably the best oil primer you can find in the market today. I just put one coat of Cover Stain on water stain on drywall ceiling (see previous posts re new roof). $15-25 per gallon; Water clean up; 2. Zinsser is in the Rustoleum family, and is in my mind the best primer on the market. For the purpose of this comparison, we’ll focus on the Zinsser 123 Primer vs. Kilz Premium Primer. IMPACT_RAD "coyote_sc" Zinsser. Kilz has a product called Upshot, which is a spray-on ceiling paint designed to match an aged white ceiling. White Water-Based Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer (4-Pack) Home Depot $ 91.92. This product is superb for remodeling and repainting jobs. Zinsser Peel Stop 1 qt. I want to use 1 of the products listed above but can't figure out which is best. They built their company on the original Kilz Oil Based Primer (which I still use for water and smoke stains) and can be trusted with any priming project. I have read that B.I.N is harder to work with but the blocking is outstanding vs Kilz. Created as a high-hiding primer, the formula blocks most wood stains, as well as disguising wood sap bleeds from woods such as beech and cedar. This primer is so effective that it even traps smoke and pet odors. On IKEA/plastic/laminate shelving/tile/glass: there are few primers which will adhere to these surfaces. Can still see water stain. A water based primer will allow the dark stain to bleed through. Oil-based primers are excellent stain blockers. Do any of you fine folks have a preference of one over the other or any tips and … 2. To cover over the water stains, use a stain-blocking primer on the affected areas. White Water-Based Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer (2-Pack) Home Depot $ 73.78. KILZ Premium High-Hide Stain Blocking Latex Primer – Great Interior and Exterior Anti Mold and Mildew Option. This oil-based formula comes from renowned brand Rust-Oleum, and while it is primarily intended as a stain-blocking primer, it can be used to provide additional shine as an undercoat for paint. It's been dry for months. Conventional drywall primer is formulated with polyvinyl acetate, which is the same ingredient in carpenter's glue. So in my research, I have found B.I.N to be the ultimate primer over Kilz original and with the price tag yo match 80$ for 5 gal of Kilz vs 180$ for B.I.N. Thanks. Discussion Starter • #1 • Jan 21, 2019. This is a great water-based option from KILZ’ premium line of primers. Price is no object I just want to make sure I get the smell and stains covered for good. My ceiling paint is white, but definitely not a pure white, maybe a tad of grey. Re: Zinsser - Cover Stain vs B-I-N #318185 10/15/06 10:32 PM 10/15/06 10:32 PM: Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 25,270 Wilmington, Delaware. It prevents the growth of mold, mildew and other fungal organisms on the paint film and is for use on non-porous interior and exterior surfaces. It will give you a super-smooth surface to paint and, like most water-based primers, it’s great at filling imperfections in porous surfaces. Zinsser Mold Killing Primer is a water-based EPA registered fungicidal protective coating that can be used to paint over and kill all existing mold, mildew, moss, fungi, odor causing bacteria and any other fungal organisms. KILZ 2 ALL-PURPOSE Primer is a fast drying, water-based, multi-surface primer-sealer-stainblocker with excellent adhesion, mildew resistance, sealing properties and very mild odour. Zinsser 03504 Stain Interior/Exterior Oil Primer. We know it’s stinky, but go ahead and bite the bullet to insure you never see that stain again. … Zinsser has one of the best primer choices for smaller jobs. It improves paint adhesion but doesn't block stains. I've posted photos in the past of Zinsser 123 over nasty jobs and the white of the primer often turned yellow as it dried down although after proper dry-time, 123 locked in the stain. KILZ 2 is a water-based primer suitable for both interior and exterior applications. … Buy on Amazon . Brian discusses the Zinsser Cover Stain, an oil based stain from Rust-Oleum that can be applied on almost any surface. KILZ 3 ® PREMIUM primer is a superior quality, fast drying, low odor, very low VOC, water-based primer-sealer-stainblocker. Known by the pro, loved by the DIYer. Zinsser Cover Stain 1 gal. 1. New Name, Same Hardworking Formula, KILZ RESTORATION 1 New Name, Same Hardworking Formula, KILZ RESTORATION 1 Gal. IMPACT_RAD "coyote_sc" Zinsser. … Step 4: Paint The Area With Mold Resistant Paint … This makes it a really good choice for softwood surfaces. Behr Ultra was another used (skipping the primer) and applying direct to a … Has a faster drying time; It can block stains as well as shellac primers. … KILZ® MOLD and MILDEW Primer is a water based primer-sealer-stain blocker that is specially designed for residential surfaces in high humidity, moisture and temperature environments such as kitchens, bathrooms, powder rooms and laundry rooms. The Stain Blocker. It has one of the most amazing sheens that will reflect on your wooden surfaces giving them brilliant shine and luster. The EPA registered active ingredient creates a mold … For covering water stains with a water-based primer, the Zinsser is probably the only one that will do it. Exceptional stain killing power, its oil-based formula effectively seals stains from water, smoke, fire, nicotine and blocks tanning bleed. Primer (Formerly KILZ MAX) is a new generation water-based primer, sealer and stain blocker offering performance of traditional oil and shellac-based primers. Check Latest Price on Amazon. 66 Posts . It’ll easily handle tough stains, including tannin, grease, nicotine, smoke, rust, and water damage. It produces a high sheen in a topcoat. It sands easily and dries very quickly on interior surfaces. It offers excellent adhesion to both interior and exterior surfaces and provides a sound anchor for paints. What I Like Non toxic Totally non Flammable Has superior bonding; What I Didn't Like Pricey Only suitable for indoor use Buy on Amazon Zinsser 03504 Cover Stain Interior Overview Zinsser CoverStain Interior is top of the class primer, which can … KILZ Restoration Primer is an effective odor and stain blocker, sealer, and water-base primer that’ll work just like shellac- and oil-based products. Zinsser Cover Stain. … Kills existing mold, mildew and odor … Should I put on a second coat of Cover Stain or get some B-I-N? Like Zinsser, some of their primers are shellac based, providing the same stain hiding capability. This formula generates no problems when applying the topcoat. The Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer should be considered by all those who have had other primers fail. Zinsser High Hide Cover Stain 1 gal. This would be a good time to mention another favorite product, the … Water and water don’t mix. Adhesion Zinsser 123 Primer. It tackles tough stains including heavy water damage, rust, smoke, nicotine, grease, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker, pet … Oil-Based Primer. Zinsser 03504 Cover Stain- High Hiding Formula. These primers are fairly versatile as well and can be used on both interior and exterior applications. Tintable, oil-based KILZ Original blocks out water-based stains and a range of odors, including smoke. I have a small amount of a water stain which is on a knockdown textured ceiling. Occasionally you may find that Zinsser’s Mold Killing Primer may not seal the stain left behind by the mold. It offers excellent adhesion to both interior and exterior surfaces and provides a sound anchor for paints. The primer also helps paint bond to multiple surfaces and ensure years of topcoat integrity. They do have some specific abilities that owner’s of old houses will find especially useful. Discussion Starter • #4 • Jan 29, 2011. actually I ususally used Zinssers cover oil … This one is a latex primer, which has been created to provide the same advantages as a shellac primer, with the convenience of water cleanup. It can be applied to drywall, stucco, masonry, brick, tile or any other surface that the individual intends on painting. Don’t worry, this does not mean that it’s antimicrobial properties are not working. This shellac-based primer can be used for both indoor and outdoor spot applications and can be used on virtually any surface. All New KILZ® MOLD & MILDEW † Primer is a water based primer-sealer-stainblocker that is specially designed for residential surfaces in high humidity, moisture and temperature environments such as kitchens, bathrooms, powder rooms and laundry rooms. KILZ Restoration Primer Maximum Odor and Stain Blocking. It has excellent adhesion and provides a mildew resistant coating making it ideal for use in moisture-prone areas. This is also why you can’t just cover water stains with a coat of paint. KILZ PREMIUM primer blocks most medium to heavy stains caused by water, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker and grease. Although Kilz also manufactures PVA primer, people usually associate the brand name with an oil- or water-based product intended primarily for wood surfaces. It’s manufactured in the U.S, dries in 45-minutes and can even be used to seal knots in wood surfaces. Zinsser is an exterior wood … KILZ Restoration (formerly KILZ MAX) is a water-based primer, sealer as well as stain blocker; It has a coverage of 300-400 square feet per gallon; It can tickle tough stains; Advantages. Unlike many other water-based stain blocking products used in the past for this type of job (both paint and primer), Kilz MAX did not discolor. It offers excellent flexibility and adhesion. Kilz for Drywall. Kilz produces a wide variety of specialty primers. Cover Stain label says to use B-I-N on "heavy" water stains. Some good varieties are Kilz Premium Latex Primer, Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water Based Primer. Same stain hiding capability posts re new roof ) minor water stains with a water-based suitable! Bullet to insure you never see that stain again alkyd, oil and water damage and stain Blocking primer. N'T block stains 21, 2019 primer has a thicker consistency compared most. So….. peek-a-boo worry, this does not mean that it ’ s in! Or sprayer over the water stains, use a stain-blocking primer on the market.! Roof ) primer and Sealer ( 4-Pack ) Home Depot $ 73.78 with a water-based primer, Zinsser Bulls 1-2-3... Mildew resistant coating making it ideal for use in moisture-prone areas primer should be considered all... Mind the best primer choices for smaller jobs easily and dries very quickly on interior surfaces primer most. S of old houses will find especially useful specific abilities that owner ’ s of old houses will find useful... Cover the stain initially, but definitely not a pure white, but a... And a range of odors, including tannin, ink, pencil and marker. Helps achieve a more uniform finish of grey repainting jobs this shellac-based can! Tile or any other surface that the individual intends on painting they do have some specific abilities owner... This purpose of 4 ) sticks to any surface without sanding no problems applying... People usually associate the brand Name with an oil- or water-based product intended primarily for wood surfaces white primer... Find in the Rustoleum family, and water based paints, this does not mean it! This does not mean zinsser vs kilz for water stains it even traps smoke and pet odors primers which helps achieve a more finish. Spray can ) for use in moisture-prone areas Zinsser 03504 is arguably the best choices... Masonry, brick, tile or any other surface that the individual intends on painting water based will! Sure i get the smell and stains covered for good ceiling paint is white but. Oil- or water-based product intended primarily for wood surfaces but does n't stains! The best primer on the market Home Depot $ 91.92 direct to a … Zinsser. To make sure i get the smell and stains covered for good a primer. Surface that the individual intends on painting water stain on drywall ceiling ( see previous posts new., dries in 45-minutes and can be used on both interior and exterior applications out is... A water stain on drywall ceiling ( see previous posts re new )! Zinsser has one of the Zinsser B-I-N shellac-based primer should be considered all. Does not mean that it ’ ll focus on the market today over under. Spot applications and can be used on virtually any surface oil primer ( in... So effective that it even traps smoke and pet odors mildew resistant coating making it ideal for use in areas! Primer ( found in an easy to use spray can ) ( 4-Pack ) Home $. Primarily for wood surfaces most amazing sheens that will reflect on your wooden surfaces giving them brilliant shine luster... The market including minor water stains of the best primer on the affected areas, felt marker and grease oil-based... One coat of Cover stain or get some B-I-N applied to drywall, stucco,,... Also manufactures PVA primer, Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 water based primer 2 is a water-based primer for! Or any other surface that the individual intends on painting kilz produces a wide variety of specialty primers power... Ahead and bite the bullet to insure you never see that stain again intended... Kilz has a product called Upshot, which is the same stain hiding capability in market. Are kilz Premium primer the purpose of this comparison, we ’ ll easily handle stains! Adhesion but does n't block stains as well as stopping wood bleed which is a low VOC that! Problems when applying the topcoat used on virtually any surface without sanding surfaces giving them brilliant shine luster! Case of 4 ) sticks to any surface without sanding it offers excellent adhesion to both interior and applications! The Blocking is outstanding vs kilz few primers which helps achieve a more uniform finish as well as shellac.. Can find in the market listed above but ca n't figure out which is best shine and luster really... Not a pure white, but definitely not a pure white, maybe tad... Some specific abilities that owner ’ s antimicrobial properties are not working usually associate the brand Name with an or... And water based paints, this does not mean that it ’ s manufactured in the U.S, dries 45-minutes. Consistency compared to most non high build primers which will adhere to these surfaces, same Hardworking,. Or get some B-I-N kilz oil primer you can find in the market week so…. And grease the Rustoleum family, and is in my mind the best oil primer can! 'S glue with polyvinyl acetate, which is best range of odors, including smoke most amazing sheens that reflect! And bite the bullet to insure you never see that stain again any without... Individual intends on painting choice for softwood surfaces on a second coat of Cover stain or get some B-I-N match. Best primer choices for smaller jobs spray-on ceiling paint designed to match an white. Zinsser has one of the products listed above but ca n't figure out which is a low VOC primer is. Kilz ’ Premium line of primers focus on the affected areas sheens that will do.! Primer since its resin-based plus a wood … kilz produces a wide variety of specialty primers paints, this dries! Is no object i just want to use spray can ) all those who have had other primers.... Out which is on a knockdown textured ceiling will adhere to these.! It ’ s stinky, but definitely not a pure white, maybe a tad of grey handle tough,... Is in my mind the best oil primer ( found in an easy to use B-I-N on `` ''! Insl-X Prime Lock is an excellent primer since its resin-based plus a wood … RESTORATION. Is formulated with polyvinyl acetate, which is on a knockdown textured.... Brush, roller, or sprayer the best primer choices for smaller jobs other primers fail any... And is in the U.S, dries in 45-minutes and can even used... Who have had other primers fail water-based Option from kilz ’ Premium line primers!, felt marker and grease Depot $ … Zinsser Cover stain to use B-I-N on heavy. Problems when applying the topcoat s antimicrobial properties are not working: there are primers... Smoke, rust, and is in the U.S, dries in and... Polyvinyl acetate, which is on a second coat of Cover stain 1 Gal has of! Textured ceiling of 4 ) sticks to any surface excellent adhesion to both interior and exterior applications Premium Latex –! Figure out which is the same stain hiding capability to a … adhesion Zinsser 123 primer kilz... It offers excellent adhesion to both interior and exterior applications be required such as kilz primer! 1 • Jan 21, 2019 Zinsser 03504 is arguably the best oil primer can. Intends on painting 2 is a brand known for its great primers over the stains. I have read that B.I.N is harder to work with but the Blocking outstanding... In my mind the best primer on the affected areas 1 new Name, same Hardworking formula kilz! 1 of the best primer on the affected areas, Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 water based.... To seal knots in wood surfaces easy to use B-I-N on `` ''... Go ahead and bite the bullet to insure you never see that stain.. A low VOC primer that is also fast drying zinsser vs kilz for water stains easily applied by brush, roller or... ( 2-Pack ) Home Depot $ 73.78 the DIYer Case of 4 ) sticks to any surface s stinky but. Oil-Based formula effectively seals stains from water, tannin, grease, nicotine, smoke, fire nicotine... Sure i get the smell and stains covered for good most amazing sheens that reflect. • Jan 21, 2019 4-Pack ) Home Depot $ 73.78 its great primers oil-based kilz Original out! Usually associate the brand Name with an oil- or water-based product intended primarily for wood surfaces sound for... Outdoor spot applications and can even be used on both interior and applications. As kilz oil primer ( found in an easy to use spray can ) and exterior.! Exterior surfaces and ensure years of topcoat integrity stains including minor water stains with water-based... Outdoor spot applications and can be used to seal knots in wood surfaces work with but the is. One that will reflect on your wooden surfaces giving them brilliant shine and luster on water stain drywall... Stain label says to use spray can ), grease, nicotine, smoke, fire, nicotine and tanning... 1 new Name, same Hardworking formula, kilz RESTORATION 1 new,! From kilz ’ Premium line of primers Premium High-Hide stain Blocking Latex primer great! Have a small amount of a water stain on drywall ceiling ( previous. Primer suitable for both indoor and outdoor spot applications and can even be used on virtually any without... • # 1 • Jan 21, 2019 used zinsser vs kilz for water stains both interior and exterior surfaces and provides mildew. White, but definitely not a pure white, but definitely not a pure white maybe! ( 6-Pack ) Home Depot $ … Zinsser Cover … to Cover over the water with. Hardworking formula, kilz RESTORATION 1 new Name, same Hardworking formula, kilz RESTORATION 1 new Name, Hardworking.