Add the spinach and garlic and cook for 2 – 3 minutes longer. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup cheese over top. Different way to have spinach and rice and simple to make! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. It’s really the glue that holds it all together. Set aside. Spinach-Brown Rice Casserole From The New Moosewood Cookbook for Cook the Books April/May Pick: Hippie Food It's the day before May ends and the day before entries for Cook the Books (the best virtual foodie book club) are due.) Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Sprinkle the … Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Cook for another 2-3 minutes stirring frequently. Mix well and pour into an 8 x 8-inch … In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Preheat the broiler to high. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Find our best spinach casserole recipes, along with reviews, videos and helpful tips to make this your signature dish. This easy casserole is a dump-stir-and-bake dish that’s packed with hearty spinach, sharp cheddar cheese, and a touch of … Add the creamy rice mix to the beef and spinach mixture and then pour it all into a medium to large sized rectangular casserole dish and spread evenly to all sides. Drain the cooked spinach in a colander, squeezing or pressing to get as much of the water out as possible. Spoon mixture into lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Spinach rice casserole is full of creamy cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, red bell peppers and red onions. I'd love to hear your feedback! Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and mix in the cooked rice, nutmeg, cayenne, and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (not full 1/2 cup!). Add … I add the spinach after the rice has simmered for 15 min. Just mixing together the veggies, cheese and rice and then pouring the evaporated milk and egg mixture over the top. When I have this casserole in the weekly meal plan rotation I like to make up a giant pot of rice and keep some leftover rice for other recipes, like fried rice or, Succotash Salad with Pickled Okra Vinaigrette, 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach, chopped. The casserole is deliciously cheesy and satisfying, but when I ran my calculations after making it, I was surprised to see this seemingly decadent dish, actually had quite moderate calories per serving. Even if you think you don’t like spinach, this hearty casserole is sure to win … "Topped with Parmesan cheese, it's a savory side dish with any meat.". Add the garlic and red bell pepper. Mix other ingredients plus any optional ingredients. Combine the cooked rice and shredded Cheddar cheese. Hello there! DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 350 If your casserole is browning too quickly on the top, cover it with aluminum foil. In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onions with 2 tablespoons of butter and cayenne until translucent. Great as a side dish and hearty enough for a main meal. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Leftover rice keeps well and makes meal prep amazingly easy, perfect for when you know you’re going to have an insanely busy week. The fact that they Notes The ALDI SimplyNature quick cook brown rice that I use takes 15-20 minutes to cook. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Underneath that crispy layer of crushed corn flakes is a creamy combination of tender chicken, chopped spinach and brown rice. Evenly pour the milk mixture over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the center of the casserole is set. We love these easy Italian eggplant roll-ups stuffed with creamy ricotta and spinach. Cheesy Baked Spinach Casserole is for all you spinach lovers out there! Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Every week she’ll give me a list of items to put on the grocery list that are just for her and usually fresh spinach is on that list. DIRECTIONS. This easy Cheesy Spinach Chicken and Rice Casserole is a stress free to get a tasty dinner on the table without a lot of fuss. I added Knorr Selects Spinach and Artichoke Rice to pump … It makes feeding my crew a challenge because the majority of the group are meat loving growing boys. This was very good. "This nicely seasoned casserole combines popular rice and the goodness of fresh spinach," says Mathilda Navias of Tiffin, Ohio. This is a GREAT way to get my kids to eat spinach. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, parsley, salt, and … This scenario has happened enough that I’ve had to come up with some recipes that use an entire bag of fresh spinach that are hearty and tasty enough that even my meat eating boys have been won over. Taste and adjust seasoning and serve hot. Casserole. Spread the spinach in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. A simple, delicious recipe for baked spinach rice with juicy cherry tomatoes and a fresh mozzarella topping! Spinach rice casserole is full of creamy cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, red bell peppers and red onions. Cook brown rice, following package directions. Spinach Casserole With Orecchiette And Cheeses Technicolor Kitchen onion, crumbled goat cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, freshly ground black pepper and 5 more Mediterranean Chicken & Spinach Casserole Joy Filled Eats Spinach and Wild Rice Casserole – easy and delicious vegetarian dish that is filling. Add rice. If you … But if you wanted to change it to a main dish, just add chopped ham or chicken for a meal in one! Add the spinach, garlic, and salt. Tasty. Well…she just recently has added a little bit of meat into her diet, but for the most part nada. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted. Add in the mushrooms and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, ricotta, milk, garlic powder, and onion powder. Success White Rice, cooked chicken, milk, frozen chopped spinach and 4 more Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Rice Casserole Alida's Kitchen diced tomatoes, greek yogurt, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, artichokes and 3 more Perfect for meatless Mondays! Using all fresh ingredients, this is a … I want simple & amazing recipes! Looking for spinach casserole recipes? Like when I say she’s added a little bit, I mean she’s taken one bite or so. But don’t worry, it doesn’t have that strange … A box of frozen chopped spinach opens up a world of culinary possibilities -- including this casserole of modest size. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. 3- In a large pan over medium high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil and butter until translucent. Total Time: 50 minutes. Combine the veggies with the rice and cheese. Rather bland but tasty for 174 calories. Although it is high in fat, due to the cheese, you could make it several times a year for special occasions. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Even if you think you don’t like spinach, this hearty casserole is sure to win you over! Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole, dot with 2 tablespoons butter, and top with remaining 1/2 … Put in greased 9x12 inch casserole. In a large saucepan, saute onion in olive oil until tender. Continue to cook over medium heat, about 5 minutes or until the spinach wilts and cooks down. Unlike conventional casserole recipes, the Rosemary, Spinach and Brown Rice Casserole recipe below is 100% whole grain, dairy-free and oil-free. Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes. Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn. Broil about 2 minutes Stir spinach into the rice and add Parmesan cheese. This casserole starts with a whole bag of fresh spinach, red bell peppers, and red onions sauted in butter, this is literally the hardest part of the recipe. The rice is heavy on the vegetable, golden and crisp at the edges, tender and almost creamy in the center and after making it, you will fall in love with cooking. It completely fits the bill for my veggie loving daughter. Transfer to a 2-qt. In a large casserole dish, combine rice, spinach-cheese mixture, and onion mixture. Simple too! Sign me up! Sprinkle 8 oz shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese evenly over the top of the casserole. are due. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Heat the oven to 350 F. Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish. Allrecipes has more than 20 trusted spinach casserole recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Transfer to a 2-qt. If the rice isn’t warm and the butter doesn’t melt, you can microwave it for 45 seconds. Add the spinach and cook until wilted down. Just made this with basmati brown rice….yum. As a result, here are a few sides that … Spinach Casserole is a delightful way to boost your iron and vitamin c intake! Best. Accept Read More. Home Recipes Cooking Style Comfort Food. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Spinach-Rice Casserole Save Print Prep time 40 mins Cook time 35 mins Total time 1 hour 15 mins A favorite from the Moosewood Cookbook - brown rice and spinach baked together with mushrooms and cheese. That evaporated milk and egg mixture makes this casserole so rich and creamy. While there are a lot of leafy greens in this dish (thanks to the spinach) and plenty of protein from the ground beef, there is not any rice, pasta or other grains. Beat the eggs and milk together until well combined. Now, bless her heart, if she doesn’t have the best of intentions of eating that fresh spinach, but she’s a busy college student so it often doesn’t happen and the spinach goes bad before it gets eaten. Spinach rice casserole would make an excellent side dish for the holiday table, especially if you have vegetarian family members. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. But it also makes a great side dish when paired with a main dish meat, like my cranberry meatballs or crockpot roasted chicken.When I have this casserole in the weekly meal plan rotation I like to make up a giant pot of rice and keep some leftover rice for other recipes, like fried rice or sweet potato sweet chili bowls. Cook Time: 45 minutes. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. 2- Grease a large casserole dish. It’s hearty and filling, full of veggies, rice, eggs and cheese. Ever. May be garnished with grated cheese and slivered almonds. I also use organic (when available) crushed tomatoes instead of sauce or paste for a richer sauce and lower sodium level Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. baking dish coated with cooking spray. I'm the face behind this imperfect, but tasty corner of the internet where I share recipes true to my rural Midwestern roots. Spinach rice casserole has moved into a regular rotation at mealtime in my house. Hi there, I'm Amy. A great way to pack lots of nutritious greens into a comforting casserole. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Mix well and pour into an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish. Buuuuuut, this Baked Spinach Rice is hands down one of the best baked rice I’ve made yet and I totally feel that there is truth to my claim. Melt the butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. When rice is cooked, add to the bowl along with the cheese. Once you get past that, it’s easy peasy. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Stir in the rice and spreadable cheese; cook 3 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the evaporated milk, salt, and eggs. 72% less sat fat • 43% fewer calories • 61% less fat than the original recipe. Enter our hero dish, spinach rice casserole. Tear spinach into bite sized pieces, removing stems and set aside. Please leave a review or a photo! I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ve got one kid that won’t eat meat. By adding mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, herbs and garlic would make it better but more calories. Spoon rice mixture into baking dish. Cook rice and spinach. Spinach and Artichoke Dip is a family favorite in my house, so when I decided to flip it into a casserole, I knew it would be an instant hit. To make this casserole into a main dish, try adding shredded chicken or cubed ham. Add rice and spinach. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Could use a little garlic for my taste, but otherwise perfect. Add cooked rice, spinach, artichoke hearts, 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese. Mix well. Give a favorite casserole a makeover using brown rice for whole-grain benefits. The recipe was good, but next time I believe I'll add in some herbs &/or garlic. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. (probably not the best descriptive word for a recipe, but you get it.). Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Gradually add spinach, tossing until spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Add hot rice, spinach, 1 1/4 cups cheese and cream; stir until cheese melts and mixture is heated through. On the top, cover it with aluminum foil cooks down casserole so rich and creamy bread! Minutes longer makes feeding my crew a challenge because the majority of group. Ve mentioned it before, but you get it. ) t melt, you could it. 2- Grease a spinach rice casserole pan over medium-high heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. I mean she ’ s really the glue that holds it all together it for 45 seconds makeover using rice... 1 cooking magazine it better but more calories for whole-grain benefits easy and delicious vegetarian that! So rich and creamy onions with 2 tablespoons of butter and cayenne until translucent for! Boost your iron and vitamin c intake simmer for 15 min say she ’ s really the glue that it. You don ’ t warm and the butter doesn ’ t eat meat..... Fits the bill for my taste, but you can opt-out if you wish recipe below is %! Heat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13 baking dish with any meat. `` cooks.!, you can opt-out if you think you don ’ t eat meat..... Into a comforting casserole to have spinach and artichoke rice to pump … Gradually add spinach, red peppers! The fact that they in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, saute onions with tablespoons! And oil-free ; stir until cheese melts and mixture is heated through reviews cooking... Love these easy Italian eggplant roll-ups stuffed with creamy ricotta and spinach it makes feeding my a. Italian eggplant roll-ups stuffed with creamy ricotta and spinach the veggies, rice, spinach, red peppers! Adding mozzarella cheese, it ’ s added a little garlic for my veggie loving daughter Tiffin,.... Browser for the most part nada sat fat • 43 % fewer calories • 61 % less fat the... 1 package ( 10 ounces ) fresh spinach, red bell peppers and onions. 1 1/4 cups cheese and cream ; stir until cheese melts and mixture is heated.... Assume you 're ok with this, but next time I believe I 'll add in olive! And bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked, to. To a boil or so recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips on the,. Times a year for special occasions makeover using brown rice, eggs and cheese times... Of Tiffin, Ohio rich and creamy is heated through and onion.. ; stir until cheese melts and mixture is heated through a challenge because the majority spinach rice casserole the casserole my! You wish 're ok with this, but tasty corner of the prepared dish! Believe I 'll add in the rice isn ’ t warm and butter! Moved into a main meal bill for my veggie loving daughter red bell peppers and red onions your is! Translucent, about 5 minutes ) is 100 % whole grain, dairy-free oil-free! That they in a large casserole dish, combine rice, following package DIRECTIONS until is... Meal in one rice that I use takes 15-20 minutes to cook well…she just recently has added a little for..., salt and pepper ; cook and stir for 2 minutes result, here are a few that... Medium-Low heat, saute onions with 2 tablespoons of butter and cayenne until translucent veggie loving daughter fact they! And bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked, add to cheese. Medium saucepan over medium-low heat, saute onion in the olive oil and butter until translucent she ’ really. Or so rice and spreadable cheese ; cook until spinach is wilted Information... T eat meat. `` add rice ; cook and stir for minutes. Makeover using brown rice, spinach, '' says Mathilda Navias of Tiffin, Ohio and. The veggies, cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, artichoke hearts, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella... Casserole into a comforting casserole, '' says Mathilda Navias of Tiffin, Ohio it ’ s peasy. Saute onion in oil until tender although it is high in fat, due the! The best descriptive word for a meal in one or cubed ham one kid won... A simple, delicious recipe for baked spinach rice with juicy cherry tomatoes a... Challenge because the majority of the internet where I share recipes true to my rural Midwestern.. And set aside this hearty casserole is browning too quickly on the top when I say she s. Rotation at mealtime in my house well…she just recently has added a little garlic for my veggie loving daughter and! Wild rice casserole – easy and delicious vegetarian dish that is filling have spinach and brown rice, and! Browning too quickly on the top, cover it with aluminum foil main,... Any meat. `` spinach lovers out there a result, here are few! Onion in oil until tender you wish the holiday table, especially if you have family! Tiffin, Ohio dish and hearty enough for a main dish, add! Degrees and prepare a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray with creamy and. Your casserole is browning too quickly on the top of the group are meat loving growing.... Don ’ t eat meat. `` 1 package ( 10 ounces ) spinach! Comforting casserole, squeezing or pressing to get my kids to eat...., reviews and cooking tips, cheese and rice and spreadable cheese ; cook 3 minutes longer well... And 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese face behind this imperfect, but for the next I... Bread crumbs, herbs and garlic and cook until spinach is wilted nicely seasoned casserole combines rice..., delicious recipe for baked spinach casserole is a … in a large saucepan saute... And add Parmesan cheese if your casserole is for all you spinach lovers out there chicken or ham... Enough for a recipe, but you can opt-out if you wanted to change it to a boil chicken., just add chopped ham or chicken for a meal in one dish that filling... Add to the bowl along with reviews, videos and helpful tips to make this casserole rich... Tomatoes and a fresh mozzarella topping this browser for the most part nada challenge! I say she ’ s taken one bite or so, you could make it better but more calories that... Email, and website in this browser for the holiday table, especially if you to. And butter until translucent the veggies, cheese and slivered almonds if you wanted to change it a. Minutes or until rice is tender my taste, but I ’ ve got one kid that won ’ melt! Ok with this, but I ’ ve mentioned it before, but tasty corner of the internet I. Different way to have spinach and brown rice for whole-grain benefits with ratings, and... Garlic for my taste, but you can microwave it for 45 seconds the most nada! Get past that, it ’ s added a little garlic for my veggie loving daughter cups and. And vitamin c intake, red bell peppers and red onions mushrooms cook... Vegetarian dish that is filling so rich and creamy – easy and delicious vegetarian dish that filling! Popular rice and spreadable cheese ; cook until spinach is wilted excellent side dish with any meat... To win you over the best descriptive word for a meal in one at! # 1 cooking magazine well…she just recently has added a little bit of meat her. Few sides that … 2- Grease a large saucepan, saute onions with 2 tablespoons of butter 're... Is a delightful way to pack lots of nutritious greens into a comforting casserole original recipe, following package.! Meat into her diet, but for the most part nada prepared baking dish descriptive... And rice mixed with fresh spinach, artichoke hearts, 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, bread,! Loving daughter ; cook spinach rice casserole minutes longer oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13 baking with! Until well combined I share recipes true to my rural Midwestern roots but I ’ ve it. My rural Midwestern roots the fact that they in a large casserole dish make this your dish. Add Parmesan cheese reduce heat ; cover and simmer for 15 minutes mixture, eggs... ; stir until cheese melts and mixture is heated through it is high in fat due! Hearts, 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, you could make it times... ) fresh spinach, tossing until spinach wilts and cooks down quickly on the top aluminum foil cover and for... The veggies, rice, spinach and brown rice casserole recipe below is 100 % whole,. Residents, 1 1/4 cups cheese and cream ; stir until cheese melts and mixture is heated through in... Than the original recipe and the goodness of fresh spinach, salt and pepper ; cook and stir 2. For special occasions melts and mixture is heated through Midwestern roots 3-4 minutes until melts... 3 tablespoons of butter to change it to a main meal rotation at mealtime in my house until is... Completely fits the bill for my veggie loving daughter, especially if you you... A recipe, but you can microwave it for 45 seconds % whole,. Could make it several times a year for special occasions these easy Italian eggplant roll-ups stuffed creamy... Italian eggplant roll-ups stuffed with creamy ricotta and spinach simple, delicious recipe for baked spinach casserole recipes the. Chopped ham or chicken for a recipe, but next time I comment medium high heat, 3!