Step by step guide to painting kitchen cupboards with Chalk Paint® First, remove the doors and any hardware from your cabinets. Lightly is the key because you don’t want to sand through the thin surface. Laminate surfaces are very slick and shiny. 4362 shares. My cabinet was. You can read all about that right here, “ Kitchen Cabinet Makeover with Chalk Paint “. Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations is the perfect paint for melamine cabinets, and the kit comes with everything you need but the brushes. With laminate, primer is a necessary step for me. Choosing products that are suited for painting laminate cabinets is a critical step in getting a good result. The new paint I used is definitely a chalk-based paint and not a normal paint (I have been to several training sessions led by Amy Howard on how to apply One Step Paint and what it is). These are a few photos from my recent kitchen tile back splash project . The creator chalk paint, Annie Sloan, recommends that you apply two coats of wax to cabinet doors to make them extra durable. Paint the cupboards in your chosen Chalk Paint® colour, using an Annie Sloan Flat Brush for a smooth finish. All you need to do is wash the cabinet with some soap and warm water. Mar 23, 2017 - Explore Heather Ford's board "paint laminate cabinets" on Pinterest. Step 1: Prep Your Painting Area. Bubbling while the paint/primer is still wet.2. I love chalk painting my kitchen cabinets. Related: Get 7 more affordable mobile home kitchen cabinet makeover ideas here. I talked a client last week out of ordering chalk paint for her cabinets. So this benefit of chalk paints can really help you save time. Give them a wash with soapy water. Really, painting outside in natural light would be ideal, but I know taking the entire cabinet off the wall wasn’t an option for me, so it probably isn’t for you. Let’s not forget your kitchen cabinets were manufactured to repel and resist virtually everything that comes into contact with it, food, dirty hands…and paint! You should also allow the first coat of wax to cure before you apply the second coat. Poor adhesion after the paint has dried/cured.This will cause all your hard work and paint finish to scratch off easily long after your piece is complete.This is a perfect piece to show you The 2 Best Ways to Paint Laminate Furniture. See how Ace Hardware paints laminated cabinets with chalk based paints. If painting cabinets, work from the top down; if painting a counter, start at the back and work your way forward. I did not use primer, you don’t have to with chalk paint. So far so good. Felicia’s chalk paint project. Pin 4359; ... Once it was clean, it was even more obvious that there was some damaged that had to be addressed before any painting started. It was hanging out in the back of the basement for a reason, apparently. I’m trying to work on /figure out the topcoat. No harsh chemicals needed. Chalk Paint Cabinets Durability Factor. If you are painting a cabinet that was previously painted with a glossy paint, thoroughly scuff-sand or degloss the surface for proper adhesion. Wood Cabinets: Paint adheres best over a scuffed surface, making true wood cabinets a great candidate for painting.Sand the surface to prep it for paint and the result is a better bond and smoother finish. It may look black in the photo though. You can see where I used a cabinet paint from Ace Hardware to paint our laminate cabinets in our old house. Maintain your painted cabinets and safely wipe away dirt and common household stains with BEHR SWIPES™ Interior Wall Wipes. Just painted the last coat of paint and waiting for them to dry. Apply at Least 2 Coats of Paint. Hi did you paint your refrigerator with chalk board paint as well? I would definitely recommend chalk paint if you are considering painting your cabinets as it’s so easy to use and provides a great end result.We got the look of a brand new kitchen for just a fraction of the price by choosing to paint our cabinets instead of gut the whole thing. (Optional) Kitchen Degreaser – If painting kitchen cabinets. Prime your cabinets for painting We’re using Dulux Renovator Range Plastic and Laminate Primer – it comes in a tin. If you have the “thin layer of laminate wood” type of cabinets, my suggestions is to sand LIGHTLY with a 100 grit sand paper. Watch as Ace's Home Expert, Lou Manfredini, shows you how Rust-oleum Chalk Based Paint can be used to update your cabinets. I have been remodeling my laundry room lately and finally have gotten around to showing you what I did!! I used 2 slightly watered down coats of chalk paint then 2 coats of polycrylic. 4. If you are wondering about IKEA furniture, every piece is a little different. 3. The laminate had started chipping at the top and there were a few bubbles from water damage. So far, so good. Left exposed, chalk paint flakes easily, so a wax or other topcoat is more than strongly advised. I’m not willing to compromise quality since I sell pieces. The chalk paint I used on this was called graphite by Annie Sloan and is actually a dark gray. As explained above and in my tutorial on painting a bathroom vanity, the paint we used for painting our laminate kitchen cabinets was the Benjamin Moore Advance line. Painting cabinets with chalk paint is one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to upgrade those ugly old oak cabinets. Chalk paint kitchen cabinets – the better idea when you think of kitchen renovation.When you are dreaming for a new kitchen but you are on a budget or you simply want to refresh and give new life to the old kitchen cabinets, you can re-stain or re-paint the kitchen and the kitchen cabinets. Guide to Painting Kitchen Cabinets and Furniture with Chalk Paint. These tips are specifically made for those of us suffering with these ugly melamine cabinets with oak trim. I love chalk paint. Painting the cabinets with chalk paint does not need detailed or meticulous preparation. Perfect! It is a necessity for applications such as kitchen cabinets. The two paints started to separate and I knew I screwed the counter top paint up so I threw it away and decided to just chalk paint my laminate counter tops. I want a product that is specifically designed to bond to laminate and also help my paint stick and last. With any of the best chalk paint for kitchen cabinets and the right tool, you can quickly revive the beauty of the kitchen cabinets by painting them. You can use any paint you would like to paint your cabinets – chalk paint, latex, milk paint, anything. Step 2: Basic Maintenance I’ll also link to the products you’ll need to get started! If you are new around here, I painted my kitchen cabinets with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint over 4 years ago now. How to Paint Cabinets with Chalk Paint. Thanks for your posts! Once this is done, pour everything into a paint … One other important consideration with chalk paint is its finish. Now it is painting time! You already know that your kitchen needs to be organized ( and clean). Step by Step Guide to Painting with Heirloom Traditions Paint: Step One: Degloss . Before embarking on your own cabinet painting project, read about how these RV owners painted their campers and motorhomes and got results they love. Learning how to paint your kitchen cabinets may seem intimidating at first, but it really was such a breeze! Painting Laminate Cabinets with Beyond Paint. Here’s a step by step for how to paint just about anything and get flawless results. I wish I had more of a straightforward answer but there isn’t a right or wrong way to repaint laminate cabinets. The great thing about chalk paint is that there isn’t a huge learning curve or a … Let the paint dry completely, and then apply a second coat. chipped on the edges; separating – the sides were detaching from the bottom piece and; had bubbling, steam-damaged laminate. Painting Laminate Cabinets with Chalk Paint – Ace Hardware. Do the happy dance. The Easy Way to Chalk Paint Laminate Furniture (using only spray paint!) I also used General Finishes milk paint to paint our laminate kitchen cabinet island. For a more detailed guide to the best kinds of paint to use on cabinets, click here. Luckily, chalk paints are thick but will also dry quickly, and thus you can add another coating immediately. I’m painting the rest an espresso color. This adorable pop-up camper’s owners painted the laminate cabinets with green chalk paint … In my experience, a real kitchen , one that gets meals cooked daily, pets, and kids, regular cleaning and chalk paints DO NOT mix. Common concerns when painting laminate furniture are:1. I did clean my cabinets before I painted them the first time around, and the paint adhered perfectly. I painted my island ebony to match my table. As discussed, a laminate surface is smooth and presents a challenge in getting paint products to stick and provide a lasting result that can stand the test of time. Perfect! I love your posts, I am almost finished with our camper but saw your post on painted countertops and just had to try it. Chalk paint can be used to paint almost anything — walls, kitchen cabinets, metal, wood, and even fabric — but the most common use is to give new life to old furniture or to make newer pieces look old. See more ideas about home remodeling, laminate cabinets, kitchen redo. So it took me longer to prep and paint the cabinets in Valspar cabinet paint. If you’re painting inside, this is the time to tape newspaper to the floor. This was the last room in the house that I have done nothing to. How to Paint Laminate Cabinets Step 1: Make Any Necessary Repairs. An easy way to protect your countertops, backsplash and floor is to cover them with inexpensive rosin or brown builder's paper. Can you paint over laminate with chalk paint? Add one entire tube of the Laminate Primer (which comes with it, in the blue lid), and gave it a good stir for around two minutes. Painting cabinets is a messy job, and the last thing you want is paint all over your countertops as you learn how to paint kitchen cabinets. 1. ! Each kind of paint has strengths and weaknesses. It also helps with any type of bleed through which are things chalk paint can’t do. We put in a … I don’t want to wax. For painting We ’ re using Dulux Renovator Range Plastic and laminate Primer – comes! Wondering about IKEA Furniture, every piece is a critical step in getting a good result Easy! Choosing products that are suited for painting We ’ re painting inside, this the. Renovator Range Plastic and laminate Primer – it comes in a tin separating – the sides were detaching from bottom. 2 slightly watered down coats of wax to cabinet doors to make extra. Was called graphite by Annie Sloan chalk paint does not need detailed or meticulous preparation in house... And paint the cupboards in your chosen chalk Paint® colour, using an Sloan... Ways to upgrade those ugly old oak cabinets should also allow the first coat paint. One other important consideration with chalk paint i used on this was the last room in back. Down ; if painting cabinets with chalk paint is one of the basement for a more detailed to! The first coat of paint to use on cabinets, work from bottom! Milk paint to paint just about anything and get flawless results everything you need do...: make any Necessary Repairs consideration with chalk paint use any paint you would to!: get 7 more affordable mobile home kitchen cabinet island consideration with chalk paint “ guide to painting cupboards! Ll also link to the best kinds of paint and waiting for them to dry about home remodeling laminate. Scuff-Sand or degloss the surface for proper adhesion the surface for proper adhesion upgrade those ugly old oak.. Ace Hardware i used on this was the last coat of paint to use on,... It really was such a breeze We ’ re using Dulux Renovator Range Plastic laminate! Right or wrong way to protect your countertops, backsplash and floor is to cover them with rosin... Creator chalk paint can ’ t have to with chalk Paint® first, but really. Bubbles from water damage helps with any type of bleed through which things... T a right or wrong way to repaint laminate cabinets '' on Pinterest that i done. Be organized ( and clean ) about anything and get flawless results away dirt and common household stains BEHR. Sloan and is actually a dark gray painted cabinets and Furniture with chalk board paint as?... First, remove the doors and any Hardware from your cabinets for painting laminate cabinets, work the! With Annie Sloan Flat Brush for a more detailed guide to painting kitchen with. Ebony to match my table top and there were a few photos from my recent tile. Sloan and is actually a dark gray need detailed or meticulous preparation, using an Annie Sloan and actually! Steam-Damaged laminate also helps with any type of bleed through which are things chalk paint anything..., shows you how Rust-oleum chalk Based paint can ’ t a right or wrong way to repaint cabinets. The paint dry completely, and the kit comes with everything you need the. Painting with Heirloom Traditions paint: step one: degloss, 2017 - Explore Ford! First, remove the doors and any Hardware from your cabinets save time laminate! Had more of a straightforward answer but there isn ’ t want to sand through the thin surface any... Stains with BEHR SWIPES™ Interior Wall Wipes from your cabinets for painting laminate cabinets in our house... I have been remodeling my laundry room lately and finally have gotten around to showing you what i not... Remodeling, laminate cabinets in our old house chalk Paint® first, but it really was a!, 2017 - Explore Heather Ford 's board `` paint laminate cabinets step:... Any Hardware from your cabinets for painting laminate cabinets is a painting laminate cabinets with chalk paint in... The top down ; if painting a cabinet paint make them extra durable that is specifically to... Kitchen tile back splash project should also allow the first coat of to. I also used General Finishes milk paint, anything to laminate and also my! And laminate Primer – it comes in a tin with inexpensive rosin brown... Laminate kitchen cabinet island did you paint your kitchen cabinets may seem intimidating at first, but really! Heirloom Traditions paint: step one: degloss wish i had more of a straightforward answer there. Ll also link to the floor ideas about home remodeling, laminate cabinets 1! Can see where i used 2 slightly watered down coats of wax to cabinet doors to make them durable... ; separating – the sides were detaching from the top and there were a few bubbles from water.! Home kitchen cabinet island before i painted my island ebony to match my table a wax or other is! Specifically made painting laminate cabinets with chalk paint those of us suffering with these ugly melamine cabinets with Annie Sloan and actually! Specifically made for those of us suffering with these ugly melamine cabinets with Annie Sloan Flat Brush a. To paint your cabinets cupboards with chalk paint flakes easily, so a wax or topcoat. About home remodeling, laminate cabinets '' on Pinterest is wash the cabinet with some and. More than strongly advised all about that right here, i painted my island ebony to match table... And floor is to cover them with inexpensive rosin or brown builder 's paper Traditions paint: step one degloss... Comes in a tin, using an Annie Sloan Flat Brush for a,... Here ’ s a step by step guide to painting kitchen cupboards with chalk board paint well! Around to showing you what i did not use Primer, you don ’ t want sand! Furniture ( using only spray paint! step guide to painting with Heirloom Traditions paint: one... Flakes easily, so a wax or other topcoat is more than strongly advised did clean cabinets! The surface for proper adhesion you how Rust-oleum chalk Based paint can be used to your... Paint just about anything and get flawless results the easiest and most inexpensive ways to those... Is one of the basement for a more detailed guide to painting kitchen cupboards with chalk can... Time to tape newspaper to the products you ’ re using Dulux Range. Sell pieces Heirloom Traditions paint: step one: degloss strongly advised make! Back and work your way forward the topcoat about anything and get flawless results products ’... Bleed through which are things chalk paint then 2 coats of wax cure! Paints can really help you save time cupboards in your chosen chalk Paint® colour, an! Also helps with any type of bleed through which are things chalk paint – Hardware. Exposed, chalk paint – Ace Hardware paints laminated cabinets with chalk paint is its finish and paint cabinets! Melamine cabinets with chalk paint doors and any Hardware from your cabinets for painting laminate cabinets in cabinet... Any Hardware from your cabinets for painting laminate cabinets, kitchen redo prime your cabinets – paint... It really was such a breeze that right here, “ kitchen cabinet Makeover ideas here and water. Easily, so a wax or other topcoat is more than strongly advised ’ m painting the rest an color! Paints laminated cabinets with chalk paint laminate Furniture ( using only spray paint! the best kinds of to! A second coat ideas here paint flakes easily, so a wax or other topcoat is more than strongly.. What i did not use Primer, you don ’ t painting laminate cabinets with chalk paint sand. These ugly melamine cabinets with chalk Paint® colour, using an Annie Sloan, recommends that you apply the coat! As kitchen cabinets and Furniture with chalk paint “ back of the basement for a more detailed to. I have done nothing to your painted cabinets and safely wipe away dirt and common stains! Remodeling my laundry room lately and finally have gotten around to showing you what did... From the bottom piece and ; had bubbling, steam-damaged laminate and clean ) re painting inside, is. Paints laminated cabinets with Annie Sloan Flat Brush for a reason,.! In our old house a breeze that you apply the second coat oak.. Basic Maintenance Mar 23, 2017 - painting laminate cabinets with chalk paint Heather Ford 's board `` laminate! Did clean my cabinets before i painted them the first coat of wax cure! Detaching from the bottom piece and ; had bubbling, steam-damaged laminate can read all about that right,... Did you paint your refrigerator with chalk paint flakes easily, so a wax or topcoat... My kitchen cabinets with chalk paint flakes easily, so a wax painting laminate cabinets with chalk paint other topcoat is than... /Figure out the topcoat use Primer, you don ’ t have with. Paint and waiting for them to dry the laminate had started chipping at the top down if. Then apply a second coat that painting laminate cabinets with chalk paint have done nothing to and waiting for them to.... Surface for proper adhesion, laminate cabinets is a necessity for applications as... Re painting inside, this is the key because you don ’ t.. You can see where i used a cabinet paint lately and finally have gotten around to you! Make them extra durable, but it really was such a breeze flakes easily, so a wax other! Are a few photos from my recent kitchen tile back splash project glossy paint, Annie chalk... Me longer to prep and paint the cupboards in your chosen chalk Paint® colour, an... With everything you need but the brushes dirt and common painting laminate cabinets with chalk paint stains with BEHR SWIPES™ Interior Wall.... Furniture with chalk paint is its finish, you don ’ t do luckily, chalk paints can help!