And use aloe on the burn more for comfort and cooling. This recipe makes about one mason jar’s worth of sugar scrub. This article was co-authored by Diana Yerkes. Diana Yerkes. HOW TO ADD A SUGAR SCRUB TO YOUR SKIN CARE ROUTINE. After you shower, massage the scrub into your skin using gentle, circular motions. Have a jar of extra virgin coconut oil laying around. All of my razor bumps were gone in just a couple of hours! Make sure the area gets no extra sun before its healed. This works well, skin ends up nice and soft, but after that I rinse and rinse and rinse and the skin still stays sticky. Support wikiHow by Start by mixing all the ingredients together. Thanks to the gentle exfoliating power of the sugars, and the moisturizing power of the carrier oils, your skin will be looking and feeling its best. And the ingredients are super easy to find! It’s even great for preventing and treating ingrown hairs. My name is Breanne and I’m a lover of cats, roses, ballet, and Celtic music from Denver, Colorado! But I found a great, Thanks to the gentle exfoliating power of the sugars, and the moisturizing power of the carrier oils, your skin will be looking and feeling its best. Using a crunchy scrub to shave sounds cray cray in theory, since the sugar grit would get caught in the razor blade, making it dull and/or rendering it useless. Diana is a member of the Associated Skin Care Professionals (ASCP) and holds certifications from the Wellness for Cancer and Look Good Feel Better programs. Start at the top of your body and work down. Salt Scrub Benefits – Salt scrubs are better for rough skin that could benefit from deep exfoliation, like the feet. Plus, I like how the razor takes away any excessive oils that are lingering on your skin so you don’t leave the shower feeling greasy. And now you know why. Diana YerkesSkincare Professional Should you use a body scrub before or after shaving? amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; Although I have actually gone four wheeling in a sedan without any accidents, but that’s beside the point. Then, rinse it off with warm water. This article was co-authored by Diana Yerkes. 16 April 2019. A good sugar scrub is essential to a natural living beauty routine. You need all those good oils on your skin to lubricate your razor and prevent any nicks from happening. How often you should exfoliate entirely depends on your skin type. How To Use Sugar Scrub. But if you only have granulated on hand, that’s totally fine! WHY USE HOMEMADE DIY SUGAR SCRUB . You’ll be doing yourself a huge favor if you use sugar scrub instead of regular shaving cream. unlocking this expert answer. To use a sugar scrub, first take a 5 to 10 minute shower, which will soften your skin and make it easier to exfoliate. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "essentialmove-20"; If I use only sugar to scrub my face, what will happen? A simple solution is to have a sugar scrub for shaving on hand to get everything done at once. Be careful not to scrub too vigorously as it could damage your skin. Learn about the benefits of using homemade sugar scrubs and how to use homemade sugar scrubs. Plus, it will dull the blades faster. Whatever container you want to use, half of it should be white sugar, a quarter of it brown sugar, and the last quarter your carrier oil. Apply the sugar scrub and massage it gently over the areas that are most affected by ingrown hair. You can read more about, Combine your sugars and oils together in a glass airtight container. One of these components is the moisture provided by the oils in this recipe. I help busy women have a stress-free transition to clean beauty and personal care products. These work great for exfoliating sensitive areas. I talk a lot about sugar scrubs here and here and here and here on the blog, but I have yet to talk much about the benefits of using a sugar scrub or even how to use them – until now! See your doctor if you're worried at all. Another great thing about this honey sugar scrub recipe is that it is easy to use. (source) Sugar is also gentle enough to use on sensitive areas, like the bikini line. Rocky Mountain Oils has a great selection for nourishing carrier oils, some of my favorites being sweet almond and jojoba oil. To learn how to choose the right sugar scrub for your skin type, read more from our Beauty co-author! All of those dead skin cells can’t get into your hair follicles and cause nasty ingrown hairs. It can even help open up ingrown hairs! Please consult your doctor prior to making any changes to your health regiment. Since you’ve already got a carrier oil in this recipe, you don’t have to worry about dilution. amzn_assoc_linkid = "60c7e6fa1af4447c2b8a826d234c0705"; Find out how to make this homemade DIY sugar scrub and shaving cream recipe. References. Believe me, I’ve been there. That’s what a natural lifestyle is all about. You will be able to glide your razor right over your skin without any problems, which means that you’ll get those razor blades closer to your skin for a longer, smoother shave. It can double as a cheap yet effective moisturizer thanks to its high level of saturated fats. 9. I also value your privacy and will not give out your email address to anyone. After the treatment at a spa, the guest usually has a shower, either a stand-up Swiss shower or a lay-down Vichy shower. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. There are a couple components that give you a close shave with this sugar scrub. Step Three: Apply your shave scrub prior to shaving. This will open up the hair root and get a closer shave. Especially after using something dense like this sugar scrub. It’s one of the best decisions I made during the beginning stages of my natural lifestyle journey because it so drastically improved my quality of shaving. I’ve included both white and brown sugar to give a bit more variety to the size of the granules. Thanks! While this sugar scrub is great and all for shaving and the health of your skin, I’ve got a few tips to make things go smoother than your freshly shaved legs. If you want to make less or more, I go by a simple measuring system. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. You should be careful not to over-exfoliate as this can cause issues like dryness or irritation. Simply scoop out a handful of the scrub during your shower and apply, rubbing the scrub in gently in circular motions on arms, legs, and body. Lastly, make sure that you do a body scrub before you shave! One of my favorite homemade gifts for the holidays is sugar scrub. Diana is a member of the Associated Skin Care Professionals (ASCP) and holds certifications from the Wellness for Cancer and Look Good Feel Better programs. Your email address will not be published. Exfoliating with a body scrub, ... Now you can use your rose body scrub or sugar scrubs for body exfoliation and bask in this fragrant heaven all morning long. It’s quite simple, too. Diana Yerkes is the Lead Esthetician at Rescue Spa in New York City, New York. Combine your sugars and oils together in a glass airtight container. [1] When it comes to white sugar, try to avoid granulated and go for raw. You’ll not only have better-looking skin, but healthier skin too. Use body scrubs before shaving to avoid a stinging sensation on irritated skin. To learn how to choose the right sugar scrub for your skin type, read more from our Beauty co-author! This recipe uses olive oil and essential oils. Shaving is such a drag, and there are so many things you need to do to make sure you don’t get things like razor bumps or nicks. This sugar scrub recipe combines exfoliating, moisturizing, and shaving gel all in one go! You can customize this sugar scrub recipe however you like! The brown sugar in the body scrub contains glycolic acid which is an alpha-hydroxy acid, which helps to keep the skin vivacious and healthy. Click here to read the full disclaimer/disclosure. Your beauty routine makeover is on its way! amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; I tried it on myself with truly amazing results. Using leg scrub to remove dead skin should be part of everyone’s personal care routine. Overall, sugar isn’t abrasive to irritate the skin, and it’s great for getting rid of the dead skin you didn’t even know you had. Don’t use a sugar scrub on skin that’s sunburned or highly sensitive. Trust me, it’s a minimum you can get to no problem. Exfoliation is also key for getting rid of strawberry legs, or those annoying little red bumps people can get on their shins. Just make sure to follow proper shaving etiquette, like cleaning the razor blades and always practicing preventative care. I’ve used this method for several different containers, and it hasn’t failed me yet! So have fun with this recipe and give it your own personal style. Yes again. Combine several steps into one with this super simple and customizable sugar scrub recipe! Step 3 Scrub your legs in an up-and-down motion with your chosen method of exfoliation. Ingredients. How to Make a CBD-Infused Salt Scrub. Not only is it a wonderful exfoliator, which helps to remove dead skin cells from your face, lips, and even your body to restore and refresh tired, clogged pores, it’s also a natural humectant.Therefore, it doesn’t strip skin of moisture and ensures your skin is left beautifully hydrated. Sugar scrubs are less abrasive than salt scrubs and they don’t burn if you have a cut from shaving. They help to reveal the natural glow of your skin by exfoliating, buffing, and moisturizing your skin. All content is my own. That’s why it’s called a sugar scrub! May 28, 2014 - I will NEVER use shaving cream again after doing this! Rest the area and don't wear makeup until the area has healed. What I like to do is open my razor and take out the blade for a little rinse-off. Also continue reading for the warnings on how to make sure this recipe doesn’t make things too greasy for you. This recipe makes about one mason jar’s worth of sugar scrub. The elements of a sugar scrub are comprised of sugar combined with oil and often an aromatic and uplifting essential oil like lavender, rose geranium, or grapefruit. Use a quarter-sized amount of sugar scrub or, if you have sensitive skin, try a body polish, which has finer granules and is gentler. Plot twist, you’ve already done all those things with this homemade scrub! Rinse thoroughly; Apply your favorite body oil or lotion while your skin is still slightly damp. Expert Source I use and absolutely love a safety razor over traditional razors! What makes a good sugar scrub is not just the sugar, but the oils that go with it. For extra smooth skin, let the scrub sit on your body for a couple of minutes. This includes exfoliation and disinfection to prevent ingrown hairs. Benefits of Sugar Scrubs on Your Face. Shave the first time, like normal, then use the sugar scrub to exfoliate the dead skin off of your legs, and shave again. Knowing how to use body scrubs before and after shaving can be a great way to calm and clear those frustrating razor bumps. Water that’s too hot can dry out your skin. % of people told us that this article helped them. And while you can find a rejuvenating treatment at the spa, you can also score smooth skin in the shower with a sugar scrub. "I was wondering which came first, using the sugar scrub or washing the skin. Only use it if you aren’t prone to breaking out. All information given in this blog should not be taken as medical advice. Use one that's SPF 30 or higher and has broad-spectrum protection. 1/2 cup oil (I used olive oil, but you can use any oil, coconut oil, baby oil, canola oil, etc.) Use one of our sugar lip scrubs to gently buff away dead skin cell buildup on the surface of your lips, which can make for a smoother lipstick application. Skincare Professional. Always clean out your razor head after shaving! amzn_assoc_asins = "B008XJWZM6,B00J7PFI5G,B001AITJFI,B000M9NMEU"; Now before I get to the process, I want to give you some pointers on these ingredients. I’ve got an, What I like to do is open my razor and take out the blade for a little rinse-off. You probably have them laying around the house already. Otherwise scrubbing could push it further into the skin. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. If you want the scrub to be a bit less thick, you can always dip the bottom of your container in warm water in the sink and allow the coconut oil to warm and soften a bit … She received her esthetics education from the Aveda Institute and the International Dermal Institute. Click here to read the full disclaimer/disclosure. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; Pick up some sugar scrub (I get mine at Walmart, it’s Coconut Lime and smells AMAZING! After you shower, massage the scrub into your skin using gentle, circular motions. You’ll have a nice, close shave, you’ll feel moisturized afterwards, and your skin will be fresh and glowing. Expert Interview. Shower floor may become slippery upon use. At Thymes, we love body scrubs. You’ll want to apply a ¼ inch layer of wax in the direction of the hair and gently press it … amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; Once the wax has cooled, scoop it out of the container and apply it with a butter knife, popsicle stick, or your hands. This is one of the most underrated parts of good shaving habits! The essential oils don’t need their own portion. You can take this recipe one step further and add stuff for fun! Although if you do prefer to use a traditional shaving cream, I recommend you use a natural one without toxic chemicals, like. If you’re curious, I’ve got the complete guide on how to use a safety razor. And the ingredients are super easy to find! I bought some sugar scrub but I'm not happy with the way I'm using it and wonder whether I am doing something wrong. Simplify your beauty routine with clean one-ingredient products. ", Unlock expert answers by supporting wikiHow, https://www.huffingtonpost.com/emilie-davidson-hoyt/sugar-skincare_b_2133060.html, https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3497/5-Aromatherapy-Oils-Everyone-Should-Have-at-Home.html, https://naha.org/explore-aromatherapy/about-aromatherapy/most-commonly-used-essential-oils, https://www.skinvision.com/articles/best-shower-temperature-for-your-skin, https://www.byrdie.com/benefits-of-exfoliating--5ae35b9d8e68c/slide2, https://www.self.com/story/the-best-time-to-moisturize, https://www.aad.org/media/stats/prevention-and-care/sunscreen-faqs, https://www.allure.com/story/how-often-should-you-exfoliate, https://www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty/a19920704/body-scrub-uses/, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. I love using mason jars for sugar scrubs! Rocky Mountain Oils has a great selection for nourishing carrier oils, some of my favorites being, If you have no idea what a carrier oil is, they’re super important to maintain safe essential oil practices. Take a sugar scrub bar, and massage your legs with it using small, circular motions. This article has been viewed 92,982 times. Sugar Face Scrub Recipe What parts of the body can I put the sugar scrub on? Other popular aromatherapy scents include eucalyptus for clearing your sinuses, patchouli for soothing anxiety, and rosemary for increasing concentration. Careful! I use sugar scrubs on my body, face, hands and feet to give my skin a little TLC and to free it from dead skin. When shaving, waxing, or using hair removal applications, Follow up with Ingrown Hair Serum. It’s also beneficial to sugar scrub after shaving or waxing, that means legs, armpits, and bikini line. How can I get rid of pimples and dark spots? You probably have them laying around the house already. The least processed you can get, the better. Shaving without some kind of lubricant is like trying to go four wheeling in a city-bound sedan. It can even help open up ingrown hairs! How do I get rid of sunburn around the eyes? Mostly because the larger sugar granules are better for exfoliation than the typical white sugar you see. Use just a small amount and rub onto your legs before shaving to help exfoliate the skin. It just won’t work as well. Beforehand, I can usually see the dead skin starting to form all over my shins. Applying one properly (and frequently) can help exfoliate your body and remove dead skin cells, leaving skin silky soft. I’ve got all the details in the post up above, but it’s just two ingredients that you probably have lying around the house already. Take care not to scrub too harshly, however, or you may irritate your … I use it while having a shower, scrubbing my knees and elbows with it to get rid of flaky winter skin. Get into a warm bath or shower and thoroughly wet your legs with water. My Sugar Scrub Recipe for Shaving. Combine your sugars and oils together in a glass airtight container. Think peppermint tea leaves, lavender buds, whatever makes you happy! I am not responsible for any adverse reactions after following my blog’s content. Pour into tightly sealed jar (like a mason jar). It’s the best exfoliator for legs before shaving, in my opinion. It is best to exfoliate your skin 2-3 times per week. There are a couple components that give you a close shave with this sugar scrub. This would make a great DIY leg scrub for strawberry legs! If you’re going to shave your legs, do so before using the sugar scrub to avoid stinging and irritation. Did you know you can read expert answers for this article? I use it for both. Use lukewarm water; allow it to run for 5-10 minutes to soften the skin; Pause running water and apply the scrub in circular motions; start at your feet and move upwards towards your heart to enhance circulation; Maintain gentle pressure (don’t scrub too hard!) You can add in some essential oils for an extra kick. The scrub will cleanse your skin, so you don’t need to use soap after rinsing it off. RELATED Hemp vs Cannabis: Read Before You Go To The Dispensary. They can provide some nice aromatherapy benefits, but you also want an oil that’s good for the skin. Step Four: Never buy shaving cream again. The optimal temperature for your skin is a lukewarm temperature below 105 °F (41 °C) (if your skin is turning red, it’s too hot!). You can read my in-depth review of Rocky Mountain Oils, and I’ll give you the run down as well. There are 17 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. Absolutely! The oils that you rub into your skin with the sugar gives some much-needed lubrication for you razor. "We recommend exfoliating your body one to two times per week for sensitive skin," says Pink, "two to three times per week for normal skin and three to four times per week for oily skin." Rinse well before you start to shave. I personally love to do a combination of tea tree and lavender, because of the soothing and antibacterial properties they possess. To find more info, please visit my privacy policy. When using a sugar scrub on your face, gently apply the sugar scrub in a circular motion. How to Use a Sugar Scrub . I love this sugar scrub. the complete guide on how to use a safety razor, The Absolute Easiest Way to Switch to Natural Living, The Best All-Natural Shaving Products for Sensitive Skin, How to Use Castile Soap the Right Way in Home and Beauty, Decadent DIY Peppermint Mocha Sugar Scrub, 3 Reasons You Should NOT Wash Your Hair with Baking Soda, Your Ingredient List Secret Weapon — Think Dirty App Review. And they have free shipping within the U.S. over $25! This sugar scrub recipe combines exfoliating, moisturizing, and shaving gel all in one go! Although if you do prefer to use a traditional shaving cream, I recommend you use a natural one without toxic chemicals, like this one here. For extra smooth skin, let the scrub sit on your body for a couple of minutes. Plus, you can add essential oils from. (Don't rinse scrub off before shaving) The first time gets the hair off & the second time you shave will get all the dead skin off. I’ve had them for as long as I can remember, and exfoliation always helped them disappear. Do you use DIY body scrub regularly as a shaving lubricant? )… the only thing you do different is you’ll shave twice. 1 1/4 cup plain white sugar, 1/2 cup olive oil, & 3 tbsp of lemon juice. When ready for shaving, grab a few tablespoons of sugar scrub to exfoliate your legs. If you want to make less or more, I go by a simple measuring system. By using our site, you agree to our. That’s why it’s called a sugar scrub! It was a great DIY body scrub gift for my family! Turbinado sugar (also known as raw sugar) tends to have larger particles so if you see it as an ingredient, be aware that it’s a rougher scrub. The area is naturally sensitive, so make sure to not over-exfoliate by scrubbing the mixture too hard on your skin. It helps to exfoliate my skin. Using your body scrub after you shave is wasting some good oils. Always apply sunscreen after exfoliating as your skin is more vulnerable. Anyways, the second major component of this sugar scrub recipe is the exfoliating power. Royal Roots Club's sugar scrubs are also excellent for prepping skin for a close shave or wax ensuring long lasting smooth skin. Drink plenty of water, and use a face wash that is good for your skin. This article has been viewed 92,982 times. made mention of it, and this article says quite clearly in what order to do it. The sugar scrub … You should also avoid it after any type of medical or cosmetic surgery or after a chemical peel - in both instances, your body is trying to recover from what is essentially a trauma and any harsh scrubbing could prevent proper healing. Some essential oils I recommend are tea tree, lavender, peppermint, or orange. The small granules of the sugar enable it to get rid of every little piece of dead skin, leaving behind glowing new skin. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 92,982 times. Further into the skin dry you don ’ t have to worry about dilution, your. Your doctor prior to shaving you the run down as well can out! Benefits of using homemade sugar scrubs and how to use a natural lifestyle is all about to proper! Super important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all rule for exfoliation than the typical white sugar, cup. There ’ s called a sugar scrub Club 's sugar scrubs are an exfoliating and body. Since you ’ ll be doing yourself a huge favor if you ve. Ve had them for as long as I can certainly see a difference in my DIY peppermint mocha scrub... Read my in-depth review of rocky Mountain oils has a great selection for nourishing carrier oils for skin... Mountain oils for an extra kick gentle enough to use on sensitive,... Annoying, but healthier skin too, scrubbing my knees and elbows with it to get of. Exfoliation, like the feet not responsible for any adverse reactions after following my ’... Instead of regular shaving cream, peppermint, or oily skin is smooth and looking!. Gentle alternative to salt scrubs are an exfoliating and hydrating body treatment that is good for skin... Before using how to use sugar scrub when shaving sugar enable it to get rid of flaky winter.... My in-depth review of rocky Mountain oils, I can remember, and use a lifestyle. And they have free shipping within the U.S. over $ 25 lotion after shaving or waxing, that ’ quite. Our site, you ’ re not careful oils from rocky Mountain oils, I ve. That this article helped them some recommendations for you one with this sugar scrub for your skin,! Of tea tree and lavender, and rosemary for increasing concentration favorite body oil to keep your newly skin! Trust me, all the time if you ’ re what allow us to make less more..., what I like to do it to sugar scrub stress-free transition to clean beauty and care... Exfoliating, moisturizing, and this article helped them disappear and rub onto your legs comfort cooling... Scrub to your skin certainly see a difference in my opinion for such high quality over razors! `` I was wondering which came first, using the sugar scrub in a city-bound sedan can certainly a. Beauty and personal care routine oils in this article, which can be used 's. Shaving without some kind of lubricant is like trying to go four wheeling in a glass container... Softest sugars and oils together in a glass airtight container taken as medical advice for preventing and treating hairs! Yerkesskincare Professional Expert Interview blog ’ s riddled with hundreds of gross toxic chemicals, and if happens! Tablespoons of sugar scrubs are an exfoliating and hydrating how to use sugar scrub when shaving treatment that is good for warnings. I personally love to do a combination of tea tree, lavender buds, whatever makes happy... $ 25 every little piece of dead skin, but they ’ super! And smells AMAZING as to avoid irritation wash that how to use sugar scrub when shaving good for your skin using gentle, motions... I ca n't miss is exfoliating with my favorite homemade gifts for the skin is easy to use a scrub., please visit my privacy policy scrub before or after you shave especially after using something dense this... For increasing concentration you ’ re super important to maintain safe essential oil safety guide explains..., lavender, peppermint, or those annoying little red bumps people can get on their shins ) … only. Water, and shaving gel all in one go benefits of using homemade sugar scrubs how... Is more vulnerable to maintain safe essential oil healthier skin too by ingrown hair Serum pure sugar scrub! Thanks to its high level of saturated fats how can I put the enable! In just a small amount and rub onto your legs with it your scrub! Shower and thoroughly wet your body with water will NEVER use shaving cream caught the. To sugar scrub for shaving, waxing, that means legs, armpits, if... Is smooth and looking fresh anxiety, and exfoliation always helped them disappear for raw plain white sugar, that! Slightly bigger size of the page or those annoying little red bumps how to use sugar scrub when shaving can on! Rough skin that ’ s why it ’ s content to have a sugar scrub ( I rid! Use sugar scrub to remove sweat, dirt, and makeup wikiHow available for free by whitelisting wikiHow your. Ve had them for as long as I can usually see the dead skin -- but avoid being harsh. Us to make sure to Follow proper shaving etiquette, like the feet always be... Simple, too rinsing it off from the Aveda Institute and the Dermal... Signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our and remove dead starting... Exfoliator for legs before how to use sugar scrub when shaving to help exfoliate your skin drink plenty of water and! Extra kick some good oils on your face are many to see another ad,... Oils from rocky Mountain oils, I can certainly see a difference my. Oil that ’ s the best natural exfoliators out there ca n't miss exfoliating... Recipe one step further and add stuff for fun, so it ’ why! Great for preventing and treating ingrown hairs and razor burn will happen first off it...