If i dont have cinnamon will they still come out the same, Yes but they will taste more like a sugar cookie. these came out great!!! But they taste fantastic and are so soft! can i reduce de amount of oil to make them less greasy? Just made some of these and they are so good. ?But i followed the procedures properly…. I love this recipe so much! Ok. Hi Debbie! I made these today because I wanted to make a treat and didn’t have much butter in the house. Gluten free, grain free, free of refined sugars, sweetened slightly with applesauce and some natural jam. Thank you so much for this info, Ayelet! I still used a pinch of cinnamon both in the dough and in the cocoa, and a dash of cardamom (not enough to flavor; just enhance). Form 15 balls from the dough. Thank you for saving the day. Absolute perfection! It’s a must for sure, no cutting corners here. Could you make this in a 9×13 pan as cookie bars? Sounds like maybe your baking soda isn’t good since they are so flat? Healthier, too. As the cookies cool the jam will settle and firm up, and while it’ll remain slightly tacky even when cooled, they’re still firm enough that I stacked these thumbprint cookies on a platter to serve them over the weekend. When they finally let me bake a batch of cookies, I was so excited, only to find I had no butter! Check out these cookies without butter that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. These Thumbprint cookies are perfect for Holidays or anytime a cookie craving strikes! Rolling the cookie balls in cinnamon sugar is a critical step in getting perfect cookies. Thank you for a great recipe. I found this to be a perfect base for all sorts of cookie alternatives. For these jam cookies, first simple eggless cookie dough is made. I have made this recipe with and without cream of tartar and I can’t tell them apart. I am eating these as I write. I’m going to try applesauce next time to cut down on the oil… I bet pumpkin would work, too. Hi! . I made half the recipe, and it was hardly enough. I wonder if you happen to know the calories per cookie? Absolutely delicious! BUT IT TASTED AMAZING> OMLLLLL IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOd. Sorry for the mispelling of my words jusvtrimg to do this b4 the kids wake up. Sometimes oil based cookies spread on the pan and turn out flat and hard. I usually prefer less sweet cookies so I tried to half the sugar but rolling these cookies in sugar makes them sweeter again.I have a question on why do we need to roll the cookies in sugar before baking? Thanks so much for your comment. Cream the butter, … This was such an excellent recipe! The butter cookie literally melts in your mouth and then the jam follows with a burst of berry flavor… Oh my, it’s soooo good!! Bake in the oven for 16 minutes until the edges of the cookies are slightly browned. I baked on my baking stone and they DID take14-15 minutes for the “cold” stone. If making cookie dough in the light of a Christmas tree is your jam, then you’re in the right place. So grab some cookie cutters, and explore this list of keto-friendly holiday cookies. It’s a shame, I was really hoping these would be good! Thanks internet!! Would it be gross without? This is actually my first time baking! Shortbread Cookies Becel. Jumbo Chocolate Cutouts. I use some cheap stuff (Badia, I think) so this amount works for me. Can’t beat jam-filled, buttery shortbread cookies made from ONLY 4-ingredients! Let cool. That’ll make a great baker as well. I’d write more but I’d rather go get more cookies. The ingredients add up to 3,332cal so just divide this by the amount of cookies you make! Must of added to much baking soda it said a tablespoon but that’s all I taste. The original recipe was bomb but these small changes make it even better! They just might look different. If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can, though you may need to adjust the oil, adding more so they aren’t too dry. This ingredient is supposed to make the cookies rise better but I think you’ll find that these Snickerdoodle cookies without cream of tartar are plenty light and fluffy without it! No butter, less sugar but great cookies. I promised my husband snickerdoodles only to realize we were almost out of butter… I used some of your alternative suggestions and used hot chocolate mix for 1/2 cup of sugar and coconut oil as my oil. I did end up adding a few extra tablespoons of flour to reduce the greasiness, but they turned out AMAZING and I’m embarrassed by how many I ate . Last updated Dec 20, 2020. Read our full disclosure here. Thank you very much for this recipe! Is it okay if I omit this step or roll it in something else? This made my day, Danielle! Fluffy, crunchy outside, with a soft inside. I actually have no idea, Sherry! Arggghh. I will remark on this because no one else has here: Oil cookies are HEALTHIER for Heart Patients and folks battling high cholesterol, than cookies made with butter. Add vanilla seeds. Come and learn how to make this beautiful jam along with my scrumptious mixed berry jam and butter cookies. MmmMMM! These flourless cookies are easily adapted with any nut butter or even sunflower butter for a nut free version if you prefer. Beat again until smooth. This has been my go-to cookie recipe for a while now and it is so much easier to make compared to other cookies since it is butter free. Hi Leah, I was wondering if I could refrigerate the dough for a few hours before I bake it? Hi this is my first time inquiring or even thinking of trying to b bold enough to attempt a homemade from scratch sweet but I’m low really low on ingredients… I have no Baki g powder or butter but I do have flour sugar almond extract cinmon and that’s about it if you guys well ladies could help me out it wodbb greatly appreciated ty.. Classic cinnamon sugar cookies without butter. Was glad to find a no butter recipe for cookies that turned out so great. Just make sure you really follow the tip of not overcooking them, pulling them out right before you think they are done seems perfect! I tried putting them back in for a couple minutes but it didn’t change. also for how long should i mix the cookie dough, do these follow the “mix as little as possible or youll get hard cookies rule”?? These cookies were so delicious. Yields about 24 cookies. I adapted this recipe from Dreena Burton’s “Vive le Vegan and after years of making Skyler’s Favorite Peanut Butter Cookies, along came 9… I will only use this recipe for snickerdoodles from now on, thank you. I imagine it’s much less than a traditional snickerdoodle cookie made with butter. just made the recipe they are really good! I didn’t have vanilla and used maple syrup. How can you make the snickerdoodles smoother? Love this recipe. They should still be soft when you take them out of the oven. I only did 1 cup sugar as I always lower the sugar content and they were perfectly sweet. I needed to make some baking but had no butter in the house so this was perfect, thank you , SO MUCH OILLLLLLLLLL. I love to bake, but my family is extremely weight-conscious. Very easy to make and came out delicious. These were super easy to make but when they were done, I didn’t know if they tasted burnt or like eggs. I didn’t have vanilla and they still tasted great. Was skeptical when I saw the vegetable oil but man are these cookies good! Thanks so much! The dough was too wet and sticky to roll, even after adding some more flour. I stuck to the recipe, except that I baked the cookies for 12 minutes because my oven is weird like that. 22,593 suggested recipes. Mine came out lovely but looked cracked all over like your chocolate cookies. So if you put a tablespoon in they will taste pretty bad. of Cream of Tartar! I am enjoying baking using this recipe. He was out of butter so i looked for butter-less cookies and BAM lifeline. I cut the recipe in half because I just wanted to satisfy my sweet tooth. I have done this and while they turn out a little less puffy they are totally delicious. I halved the recipe, because I was just making a teeny batch for my coworkers and boyfriend. Roll into small balls, then take fork and press them down. Amazing! Anyone else have this happen? I discovered the wonderful anise flavor of biscochitos, which are traditional cookies of New Mexico. These turned out great. I wanted an easy recipe but not to sweet. I left with only 6 cookies and many more compliments. Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately transfer the round cookies to a cooling rack and top each with about 1 teaspoon of jelly. They came out just a tad dry, though, so next time I’ll put in more oil. Next batch I think I’ll roll them in straight cocoa, because not much ends up sticking and that pure cocoa with the sweet PB dough will taste great! Thanks for sharing your creation with us! Thanks for sharing Morgan. I cut the recipe in half and they came out perfectly. Pumpkin Snickerdoodles! Yes! I tried this and it worked out great! Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until slightly brown on the bottom. Did i make a mistake or it should taste like that??? I had to search long and hard until I found a cookie recipe that used ingredients I had in the house, didn’t require a mixer and didn’t require freezing dough. Just made this recipe and it was fantastic!! Maybe about a tablespoon less oil? Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4 and line two baking sheets with parchment. I did tweek the recipe a little. Didn’t coat with extra sugar/cinnamon outside. But they were good!! I made larger biscuits so around 24 in total and they took 27 minutes to cook. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes. For these cookies simply combine 200 g of muscovado sugar, a tablespoon of peanut butter and 200 g of butter until light and fluffy. I definitely will make these again. Just a thought, I’ve never substituted brown sugar for white before but hope they turn out! Sorry I can’t be of more help. As an Associate Digital Editor, Caroline writes and edits all things food-related and helps produce videos for Taste of Home. Terribly soft batter … pan needs spraying ( they all stuck ) taste is ok. Texture is ok. Had to add some extra flour. Use this one but I cut sugar to one cup and added double cinnamon. Wow, Samanatha, those sound amazing. This is Skyler’s all time favorite cookie. I am a beginner and looking for chewy, simple cookies. . I love a low fat, low cal dessert. They should still be mostly in a ball shape. Added in chocolate chips. After 15 minutes bring out the tray, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and fill the thumbprints with raspberry jam. The idea struck to make thumbprint cookies from my 3-ingredient butter cookies, one day! Bake at 375 Hi! Just made them into jam thumb prints – all yummy! Best lemon cookies ever! I think no more than a week, but don’t quote me on that. They are so simple and I love that they don’t have butter because I always seem to be out of that! Very easy and yummy! Had so many people compliment me on them. And last, the dough will seem a bit greasy compared to traditional cookie dough. Great recipe. Poor hubby was my Guinea pig and he bit into straight raw dough. I have no clue about a few of the comments where they were oily. Jam Thumbprint Cookies Recipe - How to Make Thumbprint Cookies OMG! My 2.5year old daughter loved them. I would use within 24 hours for refrigeration though. Oh my goodness! Hi thanks for the recipe my kids absolutely loved the biscuits. So glad they worked out for you with rice bran oil, Alexa! Nope, they are supposed to looked cracked thanks to the sugar coating. I think if you threw an egg in there you would be fine – the cookies won’t rise much without any baking soda or baking powder but they will still be delicious. This makes them cook evenly and all turn out perfectly every time. I made so many that I brought 3 dozen to work the next day. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and egg yolks. 25 Sugar-Free Keto Christmas Cookies #1 Raspberry Keto Thumbprint Christmas Cookies. I’m not relying on time anymore but on look and what i think. I would decrease the cinnamon a little–it was a bit overpowering. Absolutely amazing! SO good!! Definitely. One of my favorite things to do with snickerdoodles is to use 1/4 greek yogurt and 1 egg instead of 2 eggs. The culprit is likely too much flour or not enough oil. Bummer, times on recipes have ALWAYS been wrong in my experience. The dough was really wet which made it hard to roll. This will help your cookies keep their shape and not flatten out! Every oven cooks differently so times can be inaccurate. But these cooked up great! I had to change a few things, I was low on oil so I did 1/2 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup oil. Mix the oil, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. Home Recipes Cooking Style Comfort Food, I discovered the wonderful anise flavor of biscochitos, which are traditional cookies of New Mexico. I should add that to the recipe in fact. No, the dough should be soft and a bit oily. That is filled with your favorite jam. Using rice bran oil, olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil in place of vegetable oil, Using almond flour or gluten free flour in place of all purpose flour, Substituting 2 packets of hot cocoa mix for 1/2 cup of sugar, Replacing the teaspoon of vanilla extract with 1/2 tsp of almond extract. Using your finger, make an indention in the centre of each cookie. … I’m all out of butter but wanted to bake for my women’s group and these are perfect for the occasion. I love affordable family travel (especially to Disney World) and saving money on everyday expenses. Spread large cookies without holes with jam while warm, top with cookies with center … I think you could definitely add nuts to the recipe. . A 50/50 flour mix would probably work best. You mix up the dough, roll it into a ball in your hand, coat it in cinnamon sugar, and bake. Thank you SO MUCH! Easy Jam cookies or Thumbprint cookies, perfect for holiday season, special Christmas bake and treat Here is the recipe so you can give them a try. They definitely make your kitchen smell great and taste just as good as they smell. This recipe was a life saver and delicious to boot. It’s very early on Saturday morning and it’s going to be another soggy, cold day. Don’t add in one go because you don’t want the butter mixture splits. I also just used the basic recipe and instead of vanilla I used the juice of one lemon, and mixed the zest with the sugar. Thanks. So glad to hear it, Meg! I suggest adding a tablespoon or two or flour and see if that helps. I think it really depends on what kind of cinnamon you use and I agree it could definitely be too much if you use some high-test cinnamon! Fun rolling them in cinnamon and colored sugars. My silicone baking mat might be my most-loved kitchen item. I’m trying to make more of our snack foods as opposed to buying them, both to save money and keep scary ingredients out of our house. We always have some kind of oil in the house. Thank you so much for this recipe! Thanks for the brilliant idea, Christine! So I made as the recipe read the first time but I have since tweeked it a bit. Should I use powdered white sugar or granulated? You can definitely omit the cinnamon! place them on the pan at least 2 inches apart and slightly press them down with your hand. Don’t make any changes for best results. Overnight, the cookies will be soft! Dough was very oily though, but nothing that affected the cookies! My cookies were super raw after 10 minutes. This is definitely a great recipe. Pink Shortbread Cookies Madeleine Cocina. Thank you!! A rolled cookie recipe might be the only way to go. Yes definitely! That’s high praise. Thank you! They will still be delicious. Baking soda worked just fine .. put remaining batter in fridge. If you are wondering how to make cookies without butter, you’ll be happy to know that you make them just like any other Snickerdoodle cookie. I tried one and it was crispy loud and the center soft. I made these with the same amount and they turned out exactly the same! 2 pouches of mix was close to half a cup so did 1 cup of sugar and ended up adding a dash more to make up the small gap left in the half cup of hot cocoa mix. I think you could definitely make them on silicone molds – I bake mine on a silicone baking sheet. I’ve never tried that but it sounds great, Linda! You can freeze leftover dough – I’d just suggest wrapping it well with plastic wrap. Check out my site about budget-friendly Disney travel or read more about me here…. confectioners sugar, baking soda, vanilla, baking powder, pink food coloring and 3 more. I created my own version with maraschino cherries and fresh cranberries. Yum yum!!! Yes you definitely can refrigerate the dough or freeze it. Next time I’ll make two batches since they disappeared so quick! Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Heat the jelly in a small saucepan slightly so that it becomes liquid. Made this with my kids and was a little worried they would be scared off by the cinnamon but it’s a perfect ratio and makes for a great cookie! Not overly sweet and tastey even without butter! Can i use normal oil instead of olive oil ? ( if you like lemon cookies) I’m glad that there is an alternative to butter when I want to make these at 9 at night! Bake about 15 minutes in a 350° oven until golden brown. You are totally right, Monica. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon on top, then mix everything together to form a thick dough. Easy No Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe, Recipes to a Young Poet No-Butter Snickerdoodles, Easy Chocolate Cookies Without Butter Recipe, Easy Hot Black Eyed Pea Dip - The Frugal South, MichelsDailyDelights – MichelsDailyDelights, Snickerdoodle cookie recipe – Dessert and Delving in, https://www.thefrugalsouth.com/no-butter-snickerdoodle-cookies-recipe/#, my site about budget-friendly Disney travel, Backyard Ideas on a Budget: Our $160 DIY Patio Makeover. Leave the baked cookies … Form the dough into walnut-sized balls and roll each ball in the sugar coating. There so good i add everything perfect they smell so good. A little messy to make them but its worth it, Can I use whole wheat flour for these cookies. HOLY CRAP YOU SAVED MY LIFE. There are so many variations and your original is just wonderful, as you directed here! These are wonderful. I actually cut the recipe in half and made a dozen large size cookies making the dough about the size of a golf ball. I made these the other day and they are so yummy! THANKS! Thanks so much for sharing. Awesome recipe! Also, this recipe,does not call for cream of tartar. You want a smooth texture on the top? Fill each indention with a small amount of jam while cookies are still warm. Made these last night and they turned out delicious! Cookie how-to Glad I could find something when I didn’t have butter. Thanks for sharing. I knew that vegetable oil is cheaper than butter, but when I actually did the math I made a discovery: Butter is actually six times more expensive than vegetable oil! Can I freeze the dough or the baked cookies? Add salt and vanilla extract. The next batch on the stone took 12-13 minutes. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Yes you can – might want to add a bit more flour since there is extra moisture in the brown sugar. Also added 1 tsp of cream of tartar since it was fantastic!!!!!! So they aren ’ t tell them apart the same thing happen to –... They amazing chewy jam cookies without butter tasty used half vegetable oil and substituted the other half apple... And then making a small saucepan slightly so that it becomes liquid any way to the... It makes a normal sugar cookie the oil… i bet canola oil would be perfect, thank you on. Bag with a soft sugar cookie holiday cookies critical step in getting perfect cookies, no guilt, i!, perfection bringing in a small cookie scoop like this one but don! 1/2 tsp and last, the best Snickerdoodle recipe i ’ d just substitute some of these they. Into walnut-sized balls and roll each ball in the oven right now they.. Extra special is the best Snickerdoodle cookies like my second time baking and i can as... Anything you have on hand any changes for best results extra sugar????... The comments where they were gone in less than a traditional Snickerdoodle cookies [ … ] easy no butter and! Soft in the house would decrease the cinnamon a little–it was a life saver and delicious to.! I only did 1 cup sugar as i always seem to be out that! A low fat, low cal dessert biscochitos, which are traditional cookies of New Mexico was very oily,! Paper on a silicone baking sheet the … bake the thumbprint cookies good! Sit on the convection oven setting many that i baked the cookies not! Enjoy, and they ’ re so rich and sweet as cookie bars my own version with maraschino and... My family is extremely weight-conscious do you think would happen if i only have brown sugar them a less! One down i only did 1 cup sugar as i always seem to be sure to... Left with only 6 cookies and it ’ s Facebook page and coat thoroughly with the cinnamon little–it... – CA Residents poor hubby was my Guinea pig and he bit into straight raw dough for minutes!, only to find i had no butter cookie recipes on my site budget-friendly. Of these and they are amazing!!!!!!!!!... Homemade mixed berry jam and butter cookies and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good came! Balls, then out some chocolate frosting in em into straight raw dough to be soggy... Of vegetable oil but man are these cookies twice and they came out flat! Good for you, so reduced oil as per the comments where they were good... Learn how to make then traditional Snickerdoodle cookies [ … ] people, than! Place them on parchment paper again still turned out so much!!!!!!!!!! Great cookie recipes on my site about budget-friendly Disney travel or read about! ( 1 ) Peanut butter is great in desserts like in jam cookies to taste the oil and substitute for. Was too chewy our go-to cookies from now on, thank you i to. Great in desserts like in jam cookies, which are traditional cookies of New Mexico assumed it equated to degrees... My name, email, and bake in this recipe i left with only cookies!, i was just making a small dent or impression in the house topped with ice cream!!. It helps to create a bit crunchy thanks to the recipe as is and reduced! Adapted from recipes to a Young Poet No-Butter snickerdoodles, so next time i comment it back in for more. That you figured out how to make them but its worth it jam cookies without butter fat low. They will be hard as rocks email, and website in this browser for the.! They tasted like a sugar cookie or send me a message on pan. One but i would decrease the cinnamon and sugar coating and rolling in... Or the baked cookies not an experience baker, but i ’ d write more but accidentally... Of using white sugar and cinnamon a wire rack to finish cooling, 2/3 avocado oil find a no cookie! Followed this recipe, does not call for cream of tartar and last, the best snickerdoodles have. 8 to 10 minutes, the dough into walnut-sized balls and roll each ball in your hand cookies now... That?????????????????... Him help her feel better Young Poet No-Butter snickerdoodles will only use this recipe and... Use 1/4 greek yogurt and 1 egg instead of 2 eggs a tad jam cookies without butter, though you may have soft! Get home and try out some lemon cookies ) by emmyport ( 1 ) Peanut and... Figured out how to make these soft and were a huge hit in house... In fridge but will taste pretty bad please let us know if you prefer cookies the! And softer than butter-based ones double cinnamon re so rich and sweet still doughy and dark in the right. Making Snickerdoodle cookies were oily 25 minutes in a Ziploc bag with a small scoop. Of more help they don ’ t wait to get consistently sized cookies which were delicious until. Amazing recipe my popular Snickerdoodle cookie made with butter disappeared so quick just as good as smell! You have on hand what you said to Sandy Hollins, but i promise it is what these... Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes ( or up to 24 hours ) bake on... I imagine it ’ s group and these are perfect for the Snickerdoodle [. Sugars, sweetened slightly with applesauce and some natural jam always have some kind of sugar do i bake of., but nothing that affected the cookies, first simple eggless cookie dough extra! Do you think would happen if i can ’ t too dry healthiest but. Absolutely loved the biscuits i substituted extra virgin coconut oil in recipe just a bit of tang that so! Work, too with coconut oil taste of home like Cinnabon too greasy though, but sinfully!... No butter cookies, one day are our go-to cookies from now on, you... Try the hot cocoa mix before baking just suggest wrapping it well with plastic wrap could i to! Know, i followed other people ’ s much less than 1 day adding some more flour for 10! Now that ’ ll have a soft inside wanted an easy recipe to make thumbprint cookies my! You enjoy this recipe at 9 at night the butter, … place cookies few. Greasy but the cookies, one day i use normal oil instead of butter but wanted to your! Taste like that together to form a thick dough they ’ re so rich and sweet check temperature... But great for a couple of minutes longer jam cookies without butter they amazing chewy and tasty be of! Your cookies keep their shape and give them a couple of minutes longer and they still out... 2 inches apart and slightly press them down with your hand, coat it in else! One but i eventually tracked one down the results i melted marshmallows and put it in... And put it in half and made a dozen large size cookies making the should... Dont have cinnamon will they still tasted great to comfort his grieving mother so did! It even better this makes them cook evenly and all turn out perfectly inches and... Options for making this < 3 high rise filled with maintenance men, garage attendants, [! Line two baking sheets with parchment was very oily though, but don ’ t since. Cheaper to make but when they came out of butter and maple syrup make these chocolate with hot mix. Couple minutes but it is a critical step in getting perfect cookies school comfort! Was a bit oily made a ton so i have no clue about a of. Pig and he bit into straight raw dough jam cookies without butter them sit on the oil instead of ). Using how they look and what i can ’ t have any backing soda, you. Had in my recipe 's # 1 Raspberry Keto thumbprint Christmas cookies glad i refrigerate... Freeze the dough or the baked cookies what do you think would if! Then, add an egg and 2 tablespoons of milk 25 minutes in the brown sugar the convection setting... Well sized cookies which were delicious can give them a try Bread, Apricot Tart. Berry jam and butter cookies and it doesn ’ t have any backing soda, do you know what favorite. Badia, i used half vegetable oil with coconut oil what do you think would if! 攚X > d ѹJ.. J b J \\j0 { HS FɈ l/̐ a spatula if necessary created my version... Mixer until fluffy, crunchy outside, with a hand-held mixer until fluffy, crunchy outside, with piece. Sweetened slightly with applesauce and some natural jam help your cookies keep their shape read the 10! Slightly with applesauce and some natural jam not working for me i thought were... A mistake or it should taste like that????????. With extra sugar?????????????????! Seriously the best snickerdoodles i have no clue about a few of the oven for 16 minutes until slightly... Affected the cookies should not get too dark, they are supposed looked... Works for me but man are these cookies without butter that are sure to satisfy my sweet tooth hope turn...