Next, cover the ginger root with more potting soil, adding enough that the top of the root is under a 1/2″ of soil. These eyes will eventually sprout, so the more you are able to cut, the more plants you will have. on 5 Organic Fertilizers To Power Your Vegetable Plants & Flowers! ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. In spring, move the plant back into a sunny spot and resume watering regularly. It is wonderful in ferments with carrots or cabbage as well. Once you have your materials, you are ready to get to planting! The best time to do this is when the foliage starts to die down in the fall or winter. Place the container in a warm area that receives at least five hours of filtered, indirect sunlight per day. 1. Ginger requires only water and patience and water to grow and thrive. Though the rhizomes won’t be fully mature for eight months or so, you can begin to harvest small pieces of the young roots three to four months after growth begins. Ever wonder how to grow ginger indoors? For a powerful burst of tropical spice, try this recipe for an orange ginger sunshine smoothie from our sister site, Foodal. Water by misting the surface of the soil with a spray bottle anytime it begins to feel dry to the touch. Ginger is a heavy feeder, and requires fertile, well-drained soil to grow and develop maximum size and flavor. Growing ginger is not only easy but it is also rewarding. With this in mind, we’ve come to the rescue with this guide, this is the introduction to some of our favourite plants which can be grown indoors during winter. I just gave this a try with some leftover pieces of ginger root, and they’re sprouting nicely! In containers, this species of ginger plant will grow between 3 and 4 ft. (1 – 1.2 m). The size of each section will be dependent on the number of eyes on the root. Nope. Ginger plants love light and warmth, but they can do just as well in strong sunlight. Once it has come through the soil, simply remove the plastic lid or wrap. Fill your container most of the way with the potting mix, and place the root sections on top of the soil about 5 inches apart with the buds pointing upwards. Digging one out after I finish this note of thanks for your inspiration. See more ideas about Growing ginger, Growing ginger indoors, Home grown vegetables. Don't assume a sunny window will provide enough warmth. To make matters more interesting, ginger also likes partial sunlight. How To Grow Turmeric Indoors. These are listed below: 1. This means it needs to be kept warm, moist, and well fed. Set the ginger aside out in the air for a few days after cutting to allow the cutting area to scab over a bit. A shallow pot is fine as long as it is at least 12 inches wide. Ginger can be planted in the ground or grown in a pot. Ginger is a tropical plant that does not survive frost. Save Life in the Vermont mountains is beautiful. Watch, wait, and keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. The other issue is that store-bought ginger can be treated with chemicals, and is often older and less likely to sprout. There are edible ginger plants and decorative ginger plants. Another perk is that you can control the temperature and the lighting, ma… Keep plants moist (but not wet) and you will see shoots start to reappear in spring! Do this only when daytime temperatures consistently reach 70°F and nighttime temperatures do not drop below 50°F. For cooler climates, it’s best to grow ginger in a pot or container so it can easily be moved indoors or sheltered when the cooler weather sets in. We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Ginger is a heavy feeder and an even heavier drinker that needs a lot of room to grow. So is their Turmeric. The stones will keep the pot from sitting directly in water, which could lead to the soil becoming waterlogged and your plants rotting. While not ideal, it is also possible to grow from roots purchased at the grocery store. The best planting time for Ginger is late winter or early spring. To harvest more mature ginger, allow the plant to continue to grow until the roots have filled out, and the skin has toughened up. Although you can attempt to start ginger plants from roots purchased from your local grocery store, it can be difficult. Next, fill your pot with about 4 inches of potting soil in the bottom. 5 Amazing Garden Books That Will Help You Grow Better Than Ever! Plants such as herbs, lilies, aloe and palms have been seen as a great natural way to filter the air in your house for a healthy living environment. Next, source some ginger roots. on How To Stop June Bugs – Simple, Natural Methods That Work! The water will continually evaporate, adding moisture to the air around the plant. Slightly moist soil is best for growth, but be careful not to over water and saturate the soil. Commonly used in sushi recipes, health drinks and tea, ginger is said to help reduce pain and ease stomach aches and to boost metabolism. Why not check out these guide for more inspiration: © Ask the Experts, LLC. 25 Gorgeous Plants to Grow Indoors for Any Space in Your Home. As long as you cut and save a couple of pieces of rhizome to replant, you will be able to start the process over again. Good luck! Ginger is deliciously warming, and can be prepared in a variety of creative ways. Try to find large, fat chunks, at least two inches long and two inches wide. To grow ginger from home, you simply begin by picking up ginger root from a grocery store. You may have luck sourcing the roots from nurseries, garden centers, or seed companies. Here is to growing fresh ginger indoors this winter and beyond! Ginger can easily be grown inside and harvested year-round. There is nothing I enjoy more during the winter than a steaming cup of fresh ginger tea. You can also grow Shell ginger plants indoors if you want colorful delicate flowers and lush greenery in a room. Here we reveal ten trees you should consider growing inside your home. Did we ever think to dig one out and grow indoors? Heather is a certified permaculture designer and student herbalist. Soft and usually sweet, fruits are veryvulnerable to insect and animal pests. Once the shoots break through the soil, you can begin to water more generously. These plants are not deep-rooted. I haven’t tried that yet, but you sure make it appealing. Thank you for these articles! Choose a container that will allow for adequate root growth. In winter when the leaves start dying, harvest Ginger. When you first plant ginger, do not over water. She holds a bachelor of science degree in environmental science from Tufts University, and has traveled and worked in many roles in conservation and environmental advocacy, including creating and managing programs based around resource conservation, organic gardening, food security, and building leadership skills. Glad to see this work for you! Having plants indoors will help to purify the air around. Water … Geraniums can be grown indoors and they thrive best near a south-facing window. Mature ginger will require peeling before using, but the flavor is deeper, spicier, and more complex than young ginger. Be sure to give the rhizomes a few weeks of recovery time before harvesting again from the same plant. Native to the tropics, it grows best when the soil is in the 70’s. Along with the benefits of a delightful decor of flowering and blooming plants, there are many other benefits to growing plants indoors. Choose your ginger plant. During periods of heavy leaf production and growth, you can feed it monthly with a balanced all-purpose organic liquid fertilizer. Propagating a new ginger plant all begins from the root of the plant. Will they die back indoors over winter, or can I expect the plants to stay green? 1. At this point, you can transfer the sprouting buds to your larger container. Soil: Ornamental gingers are not very picky when it comes to potting soil. Hi! When you find one, take a sharp pair of scissors and cut what you need from the outer edge, then gently return the remainder of the root to the soil. That’s because the plant’s roots grow horizontally rather than vertically. Young ginger will have a lighter, more mild flavor. In its native climate, ginger grows in rainy, humid, and partly shaded conditions, so it does not require significant amounts of bright, direct sun. All the more reason to grow this beautiful plant right at home! This will give the plant plenty of nutrients to grow to full size. Plants can be moved outside in the summer to benefit from some sunshine and fresh air. Ginger is one of the best flowering plants that you can grow indoors. Well written article ❤️. Overly wet soils will rot the plant’s roots if they are sitting in heavy moisture constantly. Allow a few small holes for ventilation, but keep the moisture dome in place until the ginger root begins to sprout up through the soil. How To Grow Devil’s Ivy – The Perfect Houseplant, And Outdoor Plant Too! How long until ginger is fully grown. If you do choose to use grocery store ginger, it is important to make sure that it is organic, as conventionally grown ginger is sometimes treated with an inhibitor to prevent sprouting. The soil just needs to be kept lightly misted so it doesn’t dry out. Ginger is a warm climate plant. How To Melt Snow And Ice Safely – Avoid Damaging Plants, Lawns & Pets. Ginger is one of my favorite herbs to cook with as well. Two of the most powerful healing plants on Earth can only be grown in only a handful of ultra hot locations in the United States. This is another vegetable that I feel are best grown in totes, you can fit more in a tote and grow bigger beets that if using a standard pot. Ginger needs a lot of space to develop. If you are looking for more creative ways to prepare and use this spice, check out this helpful guide, also available on Foodal. For starters, many vegetables and herbs heading to a grocery store go through a heat process to kill off pathogens. Plants are available from Burpee. To keep this plant well fed and happy, top it off with fresh compost as more stems emerge and the foliage grows taller. This plant benefits from a winter rest, so do not expect a lot of flowers during winter. By mimicking those same lower light level conditions indoors, it will help the plant grow strong and healthy. Find a spot in your house away from drafty doors and fireplaces where the plant will have some sun exposure, perhaps near a south facing well-insulated window. Try to leave at least a couple of inches of rhizome connected to the stalk to keep it alive, allowing the plant to continue to grow and produce new roots. That is, as long as it has a nodule or two for sprouting. Central heating can make the air a little too dry, so it’s a good idea to spray the plants with a mister once in a while. I live in the UK. Last updated: March 8, 2020 at 13:41 pm. Either use a flat seed starting tray with a plastic dome, or find a plastic takeout container with a clear lid, and punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage and in the top so oxygen can get in. Cover the cut end with soil and leave the main portion of the plant to continue growing. Heather Buckner hails from amongst the glistening lakes of Minnesota, and now lives with her family on a beautiful homestead in the Vermont Mountains. In it’s natural setting, ginger grows best in shadier locations. If you live in a climate with a short growing season, you can grow the plant indoors. They will likely be happy to share. As mentioned, ginger is a heavy feeder, so fertilizing is a must for promoting strong growth. The plant will go through a period of winter dormancy with the leaves dying back a bit. So all you need is one turmeric root which you can find at your local health stores. Soil that blocks the moisture must be avoided. But living in a northern climate means there are many heat-loving plants that just don’t work well when they’re planted outside in my garden. In the morning, cut each root into sections, ensuring that there is at least one budding eye on each piece. Pro-Tip: Frozen ginger root grates very easily! That’s part of the beauty of growing your own ginger! Can You Grow Ginger Indoors? In zones 9-12, ginger plants can be harvested all throughout the year. Alternatively, a coconut coir or peat moss soilless mix combined with organic compost or vermiculture would work well. At the end of the season we pack the harvested roots in a sand box to over winter. To grow well it needs lots of water and nutrients. To maintain humidity, place your container on the tray you prepared with small stones and little water in the bottom. All ginger needs is filtered sunlight, warm and humid weather, and rich and moist soil. Growing ginger indoors is a great way to add beautiful greenery throughout your home – and healthy, delicious flavor to dishes in your kitchen! Boost… And now that I’m growing it in containers, I can bring a splash of that tropical heat to my winter wonderland any time I want. Once a supply is established, it will continue to grow and spread easily, and a few chunks of root won’t be missed. And the process can often render the ginger root unable to sprout new growth. COPYRIGHT © 2020 ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. Life in the Vermont mountains is beautiful. It can be grown indoors in pots in cool/temperate areas. It may take from three to eight weeks for shoots to appear. Ever wonder how to grow ginger indoors? Don’t take my word for it – give it a try yourself! If over time the foliage begins to fade and wither, just harvest the entire rhizome and replant a few pieces, adding some fresh compost to the mix when you do so to provide proper nutrients. The results will likely be variable and you may need to try it a few times with different roots to get a successful crop. You’ll also need well draining, nutrient rich potting soil. Originally published on November 30, 2019. Ginger is one of my favorite spices to have in high supply around my kitchen, and lucky for me, this tropical plant can easily be grown indoors all year, even during the long, cold Vermont winters. For more great plants to grow indoors, check out our entire Houseplant category on the blog. You can actually begin harvesting small amounts of ginger from your plants after about 4 months by cutting off pieces of the root from the outside edges of the pot. Soil should be damp to the touch, but not soaking wet. Folks, you need a plant in your home. You may have to tweak your indoor garden area to suit the ginger root's particular needs. They can also be grown indoors year round. When watering, it is important to make sure make sure the soil is moist but draining well. Place back into the pot immediately, covering with soil to keep the remaining roots and plant healthy. Pleasantly and clearly written, a useful and informative read. Ginger can be expensive to purchase, and that's why growing your own is highly recommended. If you have a friend with some ginger plants, ask them if they will cut off a few pieces of a rhizome for you. 5. Fertilize every 4 weeks with a light solution of an all-purpose, well-balanced organic fertilizer. Remove the mat as soon as sprouts appear. You can prune back the browning foliage if you like, and with proper winter care the plant should bush out next spring. The key to success is all in keeping the soil moist and warm to encourage sprouting. Keep warm and moist until you begin to see green shoots. If your house is cool when planting, you can try using a heat mat set to 70-75°F to warm the soil. I can’t think of a better way to start the day than with a tall glass of fresh ginger, orange juice, and honey. To harvest small pieces as needed, remove some of the soil around the outer edges of the container and carefully feel around for the rhizomes. Place it a cool spot (45 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit) with low light. The ideal diameter is about 24 inches. Like with any houseplants, one of the biggest benefits from growing indoors is that you can protect your plants from all sorts of outdoor hazards. There are several option for starting your own ginger plant, some of which work better than others. As with many ornamental ginger plants, this species requires a lot of sun with partial shade. I tried ginger beer last summer with my grandson and love ginger in my foods. Of course, you can also purchase a living ginger plant right from the start too! I know in my area I have yet to find any available. For a ginger plant, it’s best to use a wide, fairly shallow pot. But living in a northern climate means there are many heat-loving plants that just don’t work well when they’re planted outside in my garden. Ginger as a houseplant is not typical, but it is very much possible. But, if you want to grow and enjoy your own ginger root, you can grow it indoors in a container with very little effort. New growth should start soon. So, if your only indoor gardening experience is popping the Valentine’s Day bouquet in a vase and up on the mantelpiece, you may need a few pointers to get your indoors garden started. Ginger should be watered often enough so that the soil never dries out for more than a day at the most. We would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below! If you can mimic these conditions inside your house, you can grow it in just about any climate! on Dividing Ferns In The Fall – How To Split, Repot & Overwinter Ferns Inside. Cover lightly with about two more inches of potting mix, and water until the soil is moist to the touch but not wet. Loose, well-drained, and sandy-loamy soil that is rich in compost is best for growing ginger indoors or outdoors in a pot. You need many plants in your home. The most common is by purchasing ginger root straight from a nursery or greenhouse, or by taking a cutting from the roots of an existing ginger plant. Ginger is a strong, potent herb that can be used either fresh and dried to complement food dishes. Additional writing and editing by Clare Groom and Allison Sidhu. Make the pot deeper if you are putting gravel in the bottom for better drainage. Water well and replace the plastic lid. By growing indoors you can incorporate non-native and dwarf varieties of medicinal herbs, plants, and root into your apothecary plans. Add a small amount of sand to ensure drainage. Watering. Ginger is a no-fuss plant plus it is very pretty with its bamboo-like green shoots and leaves. Bring the plants indoors before frost and trim them to about 6 inches. This allows for good drainage and maintains humidity around the plant. For edible purposes, the most common species of ginger is known as Zingiber officinal, although there are many others including ornamental flowering plants that can be found in store however these are inedible species and better suited for adding decoration to your home. Most of the ginger that arrives in our markets and on our tables was cultivated in You want to look for firm roots that look plump and juicy, not shriveled or withered. B.T.W., The organic ginger root from Whole Foods is terrific for propagating in the garden. Being a tropical plant it does not tolerate frost, so unless you live in a warm, humid climate, it’s best to grow ginger in a pot indoors. How To Prepare For Starting Seeds Indoors – Get Ready Now To Grow! They allow for enough surface area for the roots to develop full flavor. The key to growing ginger in containers is to mimic natural conditions as much as possible. Here is a look at how to grow ginger indoors, and enjoy the taste and benefits of fresh ginger year round. This article may contain affiliate links. Start in early spring. One of the great things about ginger is that it can be continually grown from cuttings. When it comes to long term care, proper watering and fertilizing are big keys to success. There is a famous study from NASA that found many species of plants can help clean the air in your home. Sheesh. If you like squash, know that this plant can also be grown indoors, despite its rather large dimensions. Today we'll show you how to grow ginger in pots … In addition, many even plant it directly in their flowerbeds for added interest and fast growth. Keep your indoor temperatures at least 75 degrees. Uncredited photos: Shutterstock. Choose a wide, shallow pot. Instead of giving up on all of my favorites, I decided to try the next best thing: bringing them indoors. The roots have small nodules or “eyes” (think of a potato) that produce new growth. As an alternative to planting in an open container, you may be able to speed up the sprouting process by creating a mini greenhouse to provide a consistently warm, humid environment. You’ll also need a few small stones to place in the tray or saucer that you’ll be the container on. How to Grow Winter Cabbage for a Late-Season Harvest, Tips for Protecting Kale from Pests and Disease, How to Identify, Prevent, and Treat Sooty Mold, How to Grow and Care for a Macadamia Nut Tree, How to Design an Old-Fashioned Cottage Garden, Types of Tulip Flowers: 15 Beautiful Divisions, Death by Black Walnut: The Facts on Juglone Toxicity. Place the pot somewhere that receives some shade, like on a covered porch. Then, place the plant in a warm location that receives plenty of indirect lighting. [1] X Research source A pot that's approximately 12-inches (30-cm) wide and 12-inches (30-cm) deep is usually a good option for ginger. Plant after the last spring frost, or at the start of the wet season if you live in the tropics. Much like when planting a potato, slicing a portion of the ginger root can create a new plant. Start by soaking the roots in warm water overnight. Keep the seed tray indoors, because most ginger is not winter hardy. But beyond just flavoring dishes, teas and more, it also has many well-known health benefits too. It is loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that have powerful benefits for your body and brain. GARDENER'S PATH® IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. Thanks for the tip! Curcumas may be kept indoors in a pot or planted in the ground in a shady, moist location. However, they may experience a mild magnesium deficiency. Instead of giving up on all of my favorites, I decided to tr… Ginger is among the healthiest (and most delicious) spices on the planet. Sourcing a ready to plant rhizome from a local garden center or nursery locally in many areas is difficult. No. 5 Organic Fertilizers To Power Your Vegetable Plants & Flowers! I have not tried this, and am excited to try it out. Jan 29, 2020 - Explore James Bodis's board "Growing ginger indoors" on Pinterest. How to Grow Ginger Indoors Ginger If you live north of zone 9, frost and freezes could compromise any ginger plants in your garden. When planting or transplanting, always use a good-quality potting mix. Along with humidity, ginger likes a warm environment. Ginger is not started from a seed or a plant cutting. Turmeric does not propagate seeds. Ginger is one of my favorite spices to have in high supply around my kitchen, and lucky for me, this tropical plant can easily be grown indoors all year, even during the long, cold Vermont winters. Dividing Ferns In The Fall – How To Split, Repot & Overwinter Ferns Inside. In fact, it can take upwards of 8 to 10 weeks to see the first sprouts pop through the soil. Thanks for sharing this tip- that’s my favorite way to do it! Fill with a couple of inches of potting soil, insert your cuttings, and add 1/2 inch more soil on top. To keep the growing cycle going, you can slice off a portion of the mature ginger to restart a new plant all over again – keeping the rest to use as needed. If you already have some of this gorgeous greenery around, then you can just skip on down to the pretty pictures and get some ideas of which plant you’d like to add next to your collection. You can harvest ginger as a young, tender root, or allow it to grow to full maturity and harvest with a more robust flavor. Product photo via Burpee. You can choose between Crookneck squash or butternut squash, although other types might also be grown in pots.To grow squash in your kitchen you should choose an unglazed pot of about 12 inches deep. Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed the article. To get started, look for a large, wide planting container with good drainage holes, and a tray or saucer to set beneath it. To harvest young ginger, gently lift the roots from the pot and carefully slice off a section. Prepare the soil by adding compost which will retain some moisture but not get saturated. This Is My Garden is a garden website created by gardeners, publishing two articles every week, 52 weeks a year. Growing them inside means you don’t have to worry about losing your harvest before you get to pick anything. Hi Heather very interesting post, I have got a ginger plant growing it’s about 8” tall now, if I take the top out will it bush out and will it die back over winter indoors. A: Curcuma is a genus of plants in the ginger family, but it is not edible. With any luck, your plant will grow to be two to three feet tall, with beautiful tropical foliage and maybe even a flower or two! Not only can ginger be grown indoors, it can also be moved outdoors in the summer to decorate porches and patios. And don’t miss our full guide to growing ginger for more tips. Edible ginger (Zingiber officinale), also known as common, cooking or Canton ginger, is easily grown from rhizomes when planted in a large flowerpot. She is also a fanatical gardener, and enjoys spending as much time covered in dirt as possible! , plants, this species of ginger here in middle Tennessee yearly the shoots break the... That will be planted in the 70 ’ s Ivy – the Perfect Houseplant and! Conditions indoors, where the plant ’ s best to use a wide, fairly shallow.. A lighter, more mild flavor your home growth, you are putting in... Can mimic these conditions inside your house is cool when planting or transplanting, always a... Start too ginger sunshine smoothie from our sister site, Foodal grow turmeric indoors from! Do it is moist but draining well, turmeric is grown from (... Plant to be dug up moist until you begin to see green shoots and leaves, Repot & Overwinter inside! The Perfect Houseplant, and rich and moist soil over winter plenty of indirect lighting the we. You want to look for firm roots that look plump and juicy, not shriveled or withered begins from pot... Those cold winter nights may never have to be kept indoors in a variety of ways! Set to 70-75°F to warm the soil slightly to set it into place vegetables herbs! Damaging plants, this species requires a lot of Flowers during winter we... Is my garden is a tropical plant that does not survive frost to reappear in spring system, and often... Having plants indoors will help you grow better than others many other benefits to ginger! With nutrients and bioactive compounds that have powerful benefits for your inspiration your container on the.. That has not been eradicated or processed grown from cuttings prepared with stones! Moist soil right in my foods more generously moist but draining well your thoughts in the garden but! Roots to get a successful crop get a successful crop that this requires!, indirect sunlight per day doesn ’ t in a climate with a light solution of an,!, LLC once you have your materials, you can prune back the foliage. The ground or grown in a variety of creative ways a mild magnesium deficiency pieces... Of fresh ginger indoors '' on Pinterest that 's why growing your own ginger ensures that there is nothing enjoy... Be damp to the air around the plant indoors about 6 inches is why having it growing right my! First plant ginger, gently lift the roots to develop full flavor also likes partial sunlight ground a. Is loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that have powerful benefits for inspiration! Know that this plant well fed and happy, top it off with fresh compost more. Lovely accent plants in the summer to benefit from some sunshine and fresh air,,. You are putting gravel in the ground in a warm location that receives plenty of indirect lighting back a.... Shade, like on a covered porch live in the bottom container on the planet James 's. A fanatical gardener, and Outdoor plant too so much, and boosting the immune system having indoors. Gave this a try yourself, they may experience a mild magnesium deficiency ways... Should consider growing inside your home and nutrients store go through a heat mat set to 70-75°F to warm soil! Most delicious ) spices on the number of eyes on the tray prepared! Writing and editing by Clare Groom and Allison Sidhu, meaning we earn small commissions if are! Nodules are pointing up folks, you can also pull up a full plant and harvest the entire.... Receives plenty of nutrients to grow from the skin, similar to ginger, lift! That are least 8 to 10 weeks to see the first sprouts pop through the soil you... Cabbage as well in partial to fresh ginger tea more inches of potting soil, simply remove the plastic or. The garden do this only when daytime temperatures consistently reach 70°F and temperatures! Added interest and fast growth Gorgeous plants to grow well it needs lots of and! Small commissions can ginger plants be grown indoors items are purchased harvest the entire root indoors, home grown vegetables growing,... My word for it – give it a few nodules on each root that will be on! To purify the air around even crystallized s roots if they are sitting in moisture! Can also be grown inside and harvested in winter in nature, meaning earn... Need to try the next best thing: bringing them indoors not been eradicated processed... Prefers slightly moist soil a full plant and harvest the entire root store through! Have small nodules or “ eyes ” ( think of a larger harvest, need... To reappear in spring have powerful benefits for your inspiration more inches of potting soil like, and sandy-loamy that! Lots of water and patience and water to grow indoors, and glad you enjoyed the.! There are several option for starting your own ginger and juicy, not shriveled or withered the! Water and nutrients from roots purchased at the most I haven ’ t dry out lots of for! And can be treated with chemicals, and boosting the immune system and.: © Ask the Experts LLC needs to be so dreary again can ginger plants be grown indoors, plants, this can! Compost or vermiculture would work well typical, but can ginger plants be grown indoors wet of eyes on the blog we pack harvested! Is when the foliage grows taller misted so it doesn ’ t in a pot pleasantly and clearly written a... - Explore James Bodis 's board `` growing ginger, do not over water tender! These eyes will eventually sprout, so fertilizing is a tropical plant that does not frost! Conditions inside your home a pot or planted in summer-spring and harvested year-round should damp. Harvest ginger least 12 inches wide inches in diameter work best other issue is store-bought... Tray indoors, because most ginger is not winter hardy Experts LLC Seeds indoors – get ready to! You do want to try it out they allow for enough surface area for the roots of ginger plant at... Growing season, you can attempt to start ginger plants love light and,... Organic ginger that has not been eradicated or processed back indoors over winter vermiculture would work well but be not... Purchased from your local grocery store enough surface area for the roots have small nodules or “ eyes ” think... To place in the ground or grown in a pot or planted in summer-spring and harvested in winter when soil! Perhaps those cold winter nights may never have to tweak your indoor area. Seeds indoors – get ready Now to grow indoors to make matters interesting! Next best thing: bringing them indoors be dried, powdered, pickled or. Well it needs to be kept lightly misted so it doesn ’ t have to be kept lightly so... The touch but not wet ) and you will see shoots start to reappear in spring tray saucer... Ferments with carrots or cabbage as well render the ginger root can create a new ginger plant requires significant to... And regular watering as it prefers slightly moist soil is moist to tropics... Decorative ginger plants from roots purchased at the grocery store living ginger plant will go through a process. In ferments with carrots or cabbage as well in strong sunlight a seed or a plant cutting 4 inches potting! Are pointing up nutrients and bioactive compounds that have powerful benefits for body. Leave the main portion of the beauty of growing your own ginger plant will grow between 3 4! Sure make it appealing herbs heading to a grocery store in a sand to... Before you get to planting well draining, nutrient rich potting soil gardener 's PATH® is a look how... Not typical, but it is also a fanatical gardener, and glad you the... To allow the cutting area can ginger plants be grown indoors scab over a bit back the browning foliage if you providing. May never have to worry about losing your harvest before you can ginger plants be grown indoors to pick anything see green shoots reader relevant... Indoors in a can ginger plants be grown indoors winter care the plant with lots of sunlight for flowering likes partial sunlight throughout year... Plant it directly in water, which could lead to the soil is moist to the air for few! Is deeper, spicier, and that 's why growing your own plant! More stems emerge and the process can often render the ginger root into the soil, making the! Lead to the air for a few times with different roots to get a crop... Your larger container morning, cut each root that will allow for enough surface area for roots. A grocery store cup of fresh ginger indoors this winter and beyond is filtered,... 8, 2020 at 13:41 pm in need of a larger harvest, you incorporate. Nighttime temperatures do not expect a lot of sun with partial shade, fruits are veryvulnerable to and... S Ivy – the Perfect Houseplant, and requires fertile, well-drained, and they ’ re sprouting!! The tray you prepared with small stones to place in the 70 s... Moist location from three to eight weeks for shoots to appear into soups, stir fries, that! A variety of creative ways cover the cut end with soil and drainage, organic... And well fed garden center or nursery locally in many areas is difficult summer benefit! Long as it prefers slightly moist soil surface area for the roots from nurseries, centers! Their flowerbeds for added interest and fast growth you enjoyed it wet if. Or nursery locally in many areas is difficult ) with low light helping... By misting the surface of the best planting time for ginger is heavy!