In a medium or large saucepan, add 1 cup butter, 1 cup water, and 1/2 cup cocoa. Thanks so much for leaving a review! How deep should the he baking pan be for this cake? Thin cake=more frosting ratio :). Where I live we don’t have sour cream!! ;). I’ve been wanted to try this for awhile now, and today was the day! Update! I will use a 12×18 cake pan with 2” sides( not jelly roll). pure comfort food. Colleen. My kitchen smelled heavenly before I put the cake in the oven! Tender and moist is the perfect description :) Thanks for commenting! You could decorate the top of this with strawberries and blueberries for your 4th of July festivities this week. ?” It was 10:30pm. We mess language up…a lot LOL!!! Sounds like the frosting may have been cooked too long? Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from A Family Feast Lemon Sheet Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Back for Seconds Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Caramel Frosting from Bless This Mess. This cake just never gets old! Enjoy! Okay seriously though, why are there not pint size buttermilks?? Amazing just made it!! We don’t get our food until 4:45. Every recipe i’ve tried was just okay or somewhat bland or dry. I’m glad you are enjoying all the recipes! Had to use 9×13 which resulted in a thicker cake which my family prefers. I followed the directions exactly as written, and this will be my go to cake from now on. I would like to post a picture! And of course this Texas Sheet Cake. But you can do whichever one, it will be fine. The second time the icing kept separating. Beat buttermilk, eggs, … My daughter commented that the texture was surprising – she was expecting it to be dense and brownie-like, but she was pleasantly surprised by how light and moist it is. I haven’t tried that with this recipe. Great idea Cheryl! Used GF flour and threw in a tsp of cinnamon. My favorite and yours is a great recipe – SOME aren’t! For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine butter, water and cocoa in medium saucepan on medium heat until butter is melted. I’ve heard espresso powder is a great way to bring out chocolate flavor Cathy! Start to finish in just under an hour. was CLOSED. I’m glad you liked it, thanks for commenting Carolyn! Hey Joanne! Can’t wait to make this version. There are baking times in the notes if you do want to make it in a smaller pan though. Hooray! Spread on Texas Sheet Cake as soon as removed from oven. Thank you for this delicious rendition of the classic sheet cake. Sep 24, 2018 - Top US food blog, Practically Homemade, features their most popular recipe: Texas Sheet Cake Cookies. Thanks for commenting! Pour ingredients into mixing bowl; add vanilla and powdered sugar; mix well. I’m so sorry it was dry, it’s definitely a very moist cake. First time I used the largest pan, 12×18, I found the cake to be a little dry. … (??? Isn't eating just so much fun? yes I wanted to ask I want to add coffee to the cake in the batter and in the frosting how much would I add. I am a lousy baker, but this was super easy and turned out perfectly. Turtle Texas Sheet Cake Recipe. What to do with leftover buttermilk? Perfection. I’ve become slightly obsessed with sheet cakes. We were hoping to make it for Easter but it does not look promising at this point. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipes/a52509/texas-sheet-cake-recipe Thanks for reviewing :). I usually have sour cream on hand but not buttermilk. Cake & Cupcakes Chocolate! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Anyway it was delicious. This cake turned out perfectly. Icing: In a small saucepan, bring butter, cocoa, and cream to a boil, stirring occasionally. Nope: Play Place is closed. I’m so glad I came across your recipe/site. Bring butter, milk and cocoa to rapid boil. Check the notes on the recipe, there are lots of different sizes you can use. The whole family thoroughly enjoyed it with a big glass of cold milk! I noticed most other recipes call for milk in the frosting. Six years ago: Chicken Shawarma. This version of Texas Sheet Cake is superb! Also, I saw in one of your other comments that three-day-old cake would just taste ok, but I can attest that on Day Three, the cake still tastes awesome! Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. You know, where they have the pizza and popcorn.) NEVER wash a dish unless you absolutely HAVE TO. Texas Sheet Cake, Pioneer Woman Merry Christmas Today I’m heading to Mindy and Fred’s house to have Christmas lunch and exchange gifts with my grand-kids. So happy to hear that Darlene!! Is it supposed to be unsalted butter? So happy you enjoyed it Carrie! Either one will work fine! Happy 4th of July everyone! Deliciously moist sheet cake, cooked to perfection, and topped with an ooey-gooey blend of melted caramel, toffee bits, chocolate chips, and sea salt. Meanwhile, make the frosting. Who can say no to a poke cake?? It’s perfection! I mean, crackle? Hey Janet! Should this be stored in the fridge or can it be left out? But I digress. turtle topping: 1/2 cup chopped pecans By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. So happy to hear that Penelope! Hey Kathy! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. It was fully cooked after about 16 minutes in the oven. I forgot my tip!! Thanks for the tip Elizabeth! I haven’t tried it, and baking something new is always an experiment, but I think it would be okay. I know this isn’t a sheet cake, but it is a TEXAS recipe, so I feel like I need to include it :). Thank you for coming back to leave a comment, I love hearing from you! Super YUMMY! I’m making it again today! Yum! OR, maybe I can play around with some recipes to make my own sour cream but I KNOW it will not be the same quality we buy at the store. Wow…best sheet cake I’ve eaten. The danger is that the remaining batter up the sides of the pan that you couldn't scrape out all the way could scorch. You may unsubscribe at any time. But THIS recipe is exactly what i was hoping for! Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with foil; butter the foil. Hi Heather! I made this cake and it was the best sheet cake l have ever tasted! Down here in the South, some call it “sheath” cake. You can make this cake in a 9x13 inch cake pan (thick cake), a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan (thinnish cake) or an 12x18 inch half baking sheet (thinnest cake). Water balloons! Thanks for sharing your tip! What are you baking these days? More sheet cakes to try from blog friends! I made this fantastic cake for a neighborhood party, and it was such a hit! Learn how your comment data is processed. We will be making Nana’s Fall-Off-the-Bone Ribs and “Barb”-ecue Sauce, My Favorite Coleslaw, and Mexican Street Corn Dip. I’m not sure since I wasn’t there with you. Enjoy! haha!! I’m guessing over baking was the issue? Hi Melissa! See, sometimes I feed them!!). I did add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee powder to the mix. Mississippi Mud Cake << kinda like Texas Sheet Cake…except there’s also a layer of marshmallow cream. I will also try others of your recipes. The only thing I do different is add a smidge of cinnamon to cake and frosting, it really adds a lot. Thanks! It was a big hit. I did!! cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled. The flavors are fantastic. What’s the Difference Between Cheesecake and NY Cheesecake? (??? Hi Julie! Here are the foods from our food nutrition database that were used for the nutrition calculations of this recipe. Whisk together the wet ingredients and baking soda in a bowl or measuring cup. I always have sour cream though. Combine sugar, flour, salt and baking soda in medium bowl. A lot of recipes call for buttermilk, which would work great too, but I never have buttermilk on hand. Hey Oya! Love it :). Click here! In a medium or large saucepan, add 1 cup butter, 1 cup water, and 1/2 cup cocoa. Put margarine (or butter), water and cocoa in a large pan and bring to a boil. I’ve never tried baking with coffee, but I imagine you could replace some of the water in the cake with coffee. Almond Sheet Cake << this is one of my personal favorites!! Thank you so much! You only want to let it boil for a moment before removing from the heat. That said, go for the sour cream in this one! I never even thought about that!! It was divine!! Will absolutely make it again. Sour cream adds the same tanginess that you’re going for. This cake is best on day one, great on day two, and just okay on day three. In the frosting, I threw in chopped walnuts. (That we made together!! My jelly roll pan won’t fit in it, so I’ve been baking w/quarter sheet pans. Spread the glaze over the cake. Happy birthday to your husband! So much fun stuff for the 4th, but the food court in Target (what do you call it? Thanks for commenting!! It was always my fave chocolate cake when I was a child. You will get all of the traditional Texas Sheet Cake flavors in a fabulous cookie . ooh I like the idea of a buttermilk smoothie! Pour into an 11 x 16 x 1.5-inch jelly roll pan. Add 6 tablespoons sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. I’m so glad we’re on the same page as far as dishes go Lisa. I love it! I like to store it on the counter, covered well. :). ;) I’m so glad you liked the recipe Linda, thanks for sharing your review!! Texas Sheet cake is just a classic. Let me know! GET WITH IT DAIRY PEOPLE!! Firework Oreos! So glad you enjoyed it Lauren!! cooling rack (this cake does not have to be completely cool to serve Southern food is the best. Mix with electric mixer until smooth. Did you try it out? I shared this cake with five other people and they all loved it. People who have had it love it and it takes less than an hour to... by Caitlin M. O'Shaughnessy | Since August 4 is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, we rounded up the very best chocolate chip cookie... Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week. Thank you so much for recommending it! If you are baking this in a 9x13 bake for 23-25 minutes.If you do a 10x15, bake for about 20 minutes.If you bake it in a 12x18, bake for about 18-20 minutes. When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes. Yum! Enjoy the cake, happy fourth of July!! Mix together. I made it for an office party and everyone loved it. i wanted to ask i already have a homemade cake that i mixed up can i use that to make this sheet cake, Thank you for your awesome recipe! Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Very very close to my husband’s nanna’s recipe. https://iwashyoudry.com/black-forest-texas-sheet-cake-recipe Although you pulled me in with wipe the bowl out and put it back in the cupboard. Happy Fourth!! I have lost a treasured recipe. Hi Jennifer! Thank you for nice recipe. Texas Sheet Cake Bites have all the delicious flavor of the classic dessert in a perfect little bite sized package. Ingredients: 2 cups granulated sugar 2 cups self-rising flour 1 cup butter 1 cup strong black coffee 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 2 eggs 1/2 cup buttermilk. Are you guys ready for the 4th of July?? I live in ohio, and i’ve only had a sheet cake once at a funeral when i was young. Your email address will not be published. They are so good. Texas Cowboy Cookies << one of the top recipes on the blog! I have My mom’s recipe that I have used for years but it calls for buttermilk. Add Steps 2 and 3 to Step 1. One of my favorites is to soak chicken pieces in it, with some salt and pepper, to make the most tender fried chicken, or oven fried chicken, ever! It is a hit. I gave a huge wedge to a friend to try and I’m waiting to hear her comments. So happy to hear that Gemma! I subbed out regular flour for Namaste’s gluten free flour blend and it was super good. They made it all the time! This is delicious. That’s awesome Bryson! Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes. Stir well, then add 1/2 cup sour cream and eggs. Meanwhile in a medium bowl combine 2 cups flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, salt, and baking soda. Dessert Fourth of July Game Day, posted July 3, 2018 by The Food Charlatan, Your email address will not be published. The recipe calls for salted butter in both cake & frosting plus salt in the cake. Wanted to try your recipe for a change and truly loved it. DELICIOUS!! In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. For the Cake: 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon fine sea salt 1 cup unsalted butter cut into tablespoons 1/3 cup cocoa powder 1 cup … Delicious. Haha! This recipe was so easy and delicious! It is called "Texas sheet cake cheesecake". I made this last week, and then immediately sent the leftovers to work with Eric. Using a 10×15 pan was perfect for me. I use dark! And good idea using coffee, I’m sure it amps up the flavor even more. If you leave out about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, the frosting will be a little more runny and will seep down into the cake and make it worth EVERY bite of cake, even the very bottom!!! Mmmmmmmm….I made this tonight in the 12×15 pan and it turned out perfect! I love bringing this cake to big get togethers, it never fails. Sheath cake, haha!! My daughter thought it was originally a recipe from Taste of Home, but we have been unable to located it anywhere on the internet. (Then wipe out the bowl and put it back in your cupboard.). Once it boils, take it off the heat. It was worth it guys. Let me know if it turns out well! That is, make the REAL cake but add some cherries like the recipe you post that uses a cake mix? This was so good! I prefer the 12x18. Christmas Cheesecake: The Most Wonderful Dessert of the Year, Christmas Crack: The Easiest and Most Addictive Holiday Gift, 15 Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes: You Be the Judge, January 2021 COTM Announcement — VEGAN JAPANEASY & JAPANEASY by Tim Anderson, Dish of the Month – NOMINATIONS, January 2021. That’s not messing it up, that’s just giving it character ;) I’m so glad you commented Lisa, it’s good to hear from another Texas sheet cake lover. Big glasses of milk are an absolute requirement when dealing with this cake! Note to dairy farmers: pint size cartons! Add the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. More sheet cakes you won’t be able to resist! You can definitely thin it with a little milk if it is too thick! I add a teaspoon of espresso powder and one teaspoon of cinnamon each to the cake and icing. Any suggestions or thoughts? This Texas Sheet Cake recipe is perfect for big parties because it’s SUPER easy and makes a ton. Meanwhile, mix flour, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl. I’m so glad it was a hit. I mean really after you use it in a recipe what do you do with the rest of it! I’ve never baked this cake in a quarter sheet pan, but since that’s half the size of the half size sheet pan, I would imagine that about half the batter would go in the quarter. This Texas Sheet Cake Cookies recipe is THE most requested recipe on my site, these soft and moist cookies are made with cake mix and then covered in a decadent but simple cooked chocolate frosting. You will need to use two pans. Add pecans and mix well. But I don’t know since I wasn’t in the kitchen with you! This is the first time I made this cake and everyone loved it and wanted the recipe. The Most Amazing Texas Sheet Cake. And extra cocoa too. And he’s like, naw I’m on my lunch break. Hi there, could you please let me know if this is dark brown sugar or light brown sugar? :-(( Now all I can substitute is plain yogurt. Thanks for commenting! Making up for missed lunch. So happy to hear that Kristina! Three days later I made it again because I was regretting sending it in to work. I followed the instructions exactly (largest pan) and the cake is really delicious! © 2020 CHOWHOUND, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. I used half Domaca and half King Arthur GF. I’m wondering if the butter was overcooked? What do you think? It’s definitely a go-to dessert recipe! McDonald’s time: When the pool closes at 4pm, I feel so bad that the kids haven’t eaten that I give in when they ask me to go to the slightly-farther-away McDonald’s that has a Play Place. I did not ven have to go to the store; anyone with a well stocked kitchen probably has all ingredients on hand. I’m so excited. You’re photos made it look moist, any thoughts on where I may have gone wrong? Hi Paige! Thoughts on doubling the cake and icing recipes to make my cake appear fuller in the pan but with same ratio of icing to cake? Just a perfectly easy cake to whip up. Texas Sheet Cake is a tried-and-true recipe that has stood the test of time - put it in cupcake form and it is bite-sized perfection. The final batch of this cake was definitely the best. Hi Rebecca! My Mom always made us this cake, and I did the same for my daughters. That frosting though!! Thanks for this adorable post too. The other thing about this cake is that you’ve got to make it in a decent size sheet pan. While cake is baking, make the icing. Make sure you use full-fat. One last amazing thing about this recipe for Texas sheet cake: sour cream. Easy to make. Thank you for swapping the buttermilk for sour cream–that made my life easier. In this cake, we’re using half brown sugar and half white sugar, and doubling the cocoa. In fact, the controversy over the right way to make Texas Sheet Cake is so widespread, the Library of Congress did research on it to explain its … What a wonderful recipe! I’ve made this cake before and it is so delicious, tender, and moist. As in, the only one you will ever need. My son was verrrrrry happy to get to try this finally. It makes it extra rich and chocolatey! It’s hard to resist a good Texas sheet cake :) Thanks for commenting! I think it would work fine. Thanks for the comment! Great idea, thanks for the tip! Mix well. Eric heard me get the pan out and turn on the gas burner and said, “Again? Haha! Easy to make and an instant hit. Hi Stephanie! Use it in muffins; pour into a smoothie instead of yogurt. I can't even believe I added this note, probably washing the pan is easier! Great flavor but it was not the Texas sheet cake I fondly remembered. I had a friend ask me to bring a Texas Sheet Cake to a dinner; I’d never even heard of it! Use a whisk to stir in the powdered sugar. All of these times are going to vary because everyone's oven is different. ooh genius Gisele!! But that has been my only expectation of what it’s supposed to taste like. To get the best cake-to-glaze ratio, you need to bake this in an 18×13 inch pan, also called a baker’s half sheet. The sour cream for buttermilk is genius! Hooray! This vanilla sheet cake recipe uses the reverse creaming method, an easy technique that promises a uniquely soft and springy crumb with the most delicious buttery vanilla flavor. Chocolate cake forever :). That’s a great idea! Thin cake is the way to go! Required fields are marked *. I will definitely remake this recipe. I’m so glad you found the perfect recipe Jessica! I’m so glad you are enjoying the blog, thank you for telling me :). Thanks for the review!! So glad it was a hit at the party Susan! Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake Controversy. :D. Oooh now I’m craving a fried chicken dinner with this cake to follow up! Here’s a White Texas Sheet Cake that you are going to love, and here’s a Lemon Sheet Cake with Lemon Glaze, both based off the original chocolate version! I love the cinnamon idea too. My husband was thrilled with his “birthday” cake. Yogurt might work. Great idea Mels!! Yes same, I always have sour cream on hand but don’t always have buttermilk! Woohoo! More a question than comment…how many days will this last? THANK YOU. I never wash the saucepan before making the glaze either! Fun in the kitchen! Blend well until all the lumps are gone. Try my Texas Turtle Sheet Cake for another one of my sheet cake recipe favorites! SO SO SO YUMMY! Very nice recipie find. Thank you so much! Bake at 350 for about 18-20 minutes* (check times below), until a toothpick comes out of the center with no wet batter on it. So glad you enjoyed the Texas Sheet Cake Marilyn! I distributed between neighbors. I use the butter to rub the sides of the pan occasionally to avoid this. Thanks for commenting!! I made it because it called for sour cream instead of buttermilk. Separately mixed with the fork buttermilk, eggs and vanilla, than add to the flour mixture. Delicious cake recipe. Moist, tender and delicious…highly recommend it. I didn’t think of substituting water for coffee, but i did add espresso powder to the cake and frosting for a rich flavor. Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 13x18-inch cake pan with butter or non-stick spray. Although that does look good - the recipe i am looking for has a Texas sheet cake on the bottom, cheesecake in the middle, and the icing on top, put on right as it comes out of the oven. Hi Colleen! Glad we are in agreement, it’s really the best sheet cake! This would be a great dessert to bring to your festivities tomorrow!! But they loved the samples! Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the walnuts (from the frosting ingredients) on a baking sheet … Texas Sheet Cake Brownies are one of our go-to recipes when we need to feed a crowd! I hope this helps! I’ll be making the trip solo, since pappa will be staying home to babysit for our new pug pup, June Bug aka Ju Ju Bean. Does anyone have this recipe? Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly to the sides. I’m so glad the cake was a success Robyn! The fudgy frosting is poured over the hot cupcakes to … Thanks for the recipe! My oven is uneven so I only take the part that looks decent and my hubby and I eat the thin part. I adore your website – very easy to work with SOME aren’t! I refer a scratch cake but wouldn’t want to ruin those great ingredients if adding some poached sour cherries would do that. Where are you from? I’ve made my moms recipe before and the cake was very moist. Just wondering if anyone has tried subbing a gluten free flour mix for a sheet cake recipe? The 12x18 gives you the perfect ratio of cake to frosting in my opinion. AMAZING! My new go-to for Texas Sheet Cake! Question: I am in a new house and my oven is very small (sigh!) WOW! Preparation. I will make this cake again. Would it be work to combine two of your recipes? Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts. we rented in a house that had a small oven, it’s very frustrating! Thank you. Woohoo! Thanks for reviewing! *The size of your jelly roll pan is a matter of debate. I prefer 12×18 inch sheet pan. Forget to feed them lunch. Thanks so much for leaving a review!! After that I took the kids to Costco for some stuff we needed, because I like to torture myself on days when I skip the baby’s nap and drag it out even longer. You won’t want a regular sheet cake again! The only thing I did differently from the recipe was to put the icing on after only about 5 minutes cooling time. If your cake is not done baking when you finish the glaze, stir it every now and then to break up the hardened shell on top. Amazing! We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Sheath cake is better than what my boyfriend thought we were saying lol. Finally a texas sheet cake with rich flavor! We poured sweet chocolate icing over a cake hot out of the oven. My kids at this point have had nothing to eat since a 10am muffin. More cake isn’t necessarily better. These are the kind of risks that make me feel like I'm living a dangerous life. And that’s kind of convenient that you get to try the “thin part” before taking to your party! (Why is there so much traffic in Sacramento??). I love the recipes: easy to make, foods we like to eat and a great variety of new foods to try. |, 9 Baking Mistakes That Ruin Your Cakes, Cookies, Brownies & Bread, The Top Trending Fall Foods & Recipes, According to Google, The Best Places to Buy Baking Ingredients Online, Chowhound Christmas Gift Guide 2020: The Best Gourmet Food & Drink Gifts, The Cookbooks We're Most Excited for This Fall, Ready or Not, Pumpkin Spice Products Are Back Again, 7 Helpful Produce Subscriptions You Should Know About, Meal Prep Containers That Will Get You Excited to Make Lunch, The Best Food & Drink Advent Calendars for 2020, Chowhound Christmas Gift Guide 2020: Best Gifts for Food-Loving Families and Parents, Christmas Cookie HQ: The Ultimate Guide to Holiday Cookie Baking, How to Make a Memorable Christmas Morning Breakfast, How to Cook Christmas Dinner for 6 on a $75 Budget, A Last-Minute Guide for Those Hosting Christmas Dinner, This Easy Icebox Cake Is a Perfect No-Bake Summer Dessert. Fake it til you make it, I say! The guy’s walking off and I’m like hold up! (At least that’s what I did.) I was kind of skeptical about the frosting-to-cake ratio because I thought the cake was too thin (I made half the recipe in a 9×13 pan), but YOU WERE RIGHT! So glad you liked it Alice! You could also try using cream or half-and-half, and add a little vinegar or lemon juice to it to make it curdle a bit (that’s how you make homemade buttermilk). Spread on large cookie sheet. Okay I’ll be honest I think I was in denial about preparing another meal and just fled the house instead), Target time: Party Poppers! I have made this a few times for different functions. Chocolate Cherry Sheet Cake with Fudge Frosting << this is stupid easy. (The photos of this cake is of one that was baked in a 10x15.) I’m rooting for dark as I’m super low on light and present conditions have made it impossible to find more!! Clean out the saucepan you used for the batter** and add 1 stick of butter and 1/4 cup cocoa. But listen, I'm no chef. I love the idea of adding cinnamon Nancy! Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. I need to make one gluten free and this recipe looks amazing! Whip up a batch of these little cakes covered in homemade chocolate frosting and … Lunchish: Get kids out of the house to run errands. Ooh, good to hear that this cakes works well with a gluten free flour blend! So we leave and go swim. I have never tried freezing it but I have frozen other cakes before, and it worked great. And can it be frozen and then iced at a later time? The sheet cake caught my attention and decided to make it (while salivating) BUT! Calories per serving of Texas Sheet Cake 49 calories of Butter, unsalted, (0.06 stick) 47 calories of Powdered Sugar, (0.10 cup, unsifted) 46 calories of Granulated Sugar, (0.06 cup) 24 calories of Flour, whole grain, (0.06 cup) Frost it as usual, cover tightly, and freeze. I’m so glad you know what a Texas Sheet Cake is now!! One year ago: No Bake Cherry Cream Cheese Pie Four years ago: Some 4th of July Recipes for You! Nana’s Fall-Off-the-Bone Ribs and “Barb”-ecue Sauce, 18×13 inch pan, also called a baker’s half sheet, Powered by Simple Recipe Pro Recipe Plugin, Chocolate Cherry Sheet Cake with Fudge Frosting, Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Lemon Sheet Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. Yes, I made this recipe and loved it. For us the smaller size was preferred. The Most Amazing Texas Sheet Cake is light and fluffy with a deliciously decadent cooked frosting on top. If you can get your hands on some buttermilk though, that would be even better. I’ve made many of your recipes, they have all been delicious. And it’s so moist! Let me know how it goes! I have made the Texas sheet cake twice now. If someone doesn’t have a sheet cake pan/jelly roll pan, people can just use a regular cake pan and poke holes in the top. ), Pool time: I promised the kids we would go to the pool in the afternoon, but it’s already 3pm and still no lunch. Remove from heat and add the rest of the batter ingredients. Then last week I was writing out the final recipe and was doing some serious Texas Sheet Cake pondering, and decided I wanted to add brown sugar and even more cocoa, so I started making it again. It’s the best! Came out so good. Hey Pamela! It tastes delicious, however the frosting was wayyyy too thick so it didn’t spread well at all. Let me know how it goes!! Morning time: Poke around the house with the kids until they start strangling each other. I’m so glad the cake was a hit Brenda! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cream-cheese-sheet-cake Hello- I’ve made this cake before- it’s delicious! December 2020 edition! So sad about the smaller oven! Thank you for reading! I substituted coffee for all the water in the cake recipe and it was delicious! Thanks for a great recipe! I’ve never had that happen to me! Pour the batter into the prepared pan. chocolate frosting: 1/4 cup butter 4 tablespoons buttermilk 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Frosting was delicious and could taste it in every bite. by Jen Wheeler | Holiday baking season means lots of cookies, and we have plenty of great Christmas cookie recipes... by Jen Wheeler | At Christmas time, there are cookies galore, but true dessert lovers still crave something more substantial... by Mijon Zulu | Want some crack? I’m so glad the sheet cake was a success Gisele! The first time I made this awesome and I had no problems. I’m sorry it didn’t work out this time! I think some of us have different results with different size pans because of the difference in our ovens :) My mother and grandmother got this recipe from my Aunt Mary Elizabeth Carver in Tulsa, OK in 1967. Make frosting about 5 minutes before cake comes out of oven. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I have been making Texas Sheet Cake since the 1960s when I was a little kid. Had one piece and realized I had an entire cake to myself and that is bad news. would it come out as yummy? Then I realize that the pool closes at 4 and if we don’t leave immediately we won’t get to swim. Thanks for chiming in! But I can’t wait to try some of the others you have linked above. Combine sugar, salt and baking soda kitchen with you if this is the perfect ratio of to. Five other people and they all loved it wanted the recipe a,... And salt ) description: ) Thanks for sharing your review!! ) to McDonald ’ recipe! Moment before removing from the edge of the traditional Texas chocolate sheet cake again posted... Boozy Advent Calendars to Drink away 2020 have made the Texas sheet cake for another one of water... I fondly remembered sending it in a new house and my oven is different flavor even more that sounds.. Sugar or light brown sugar and about 1/4 cup cocoa a thicker texas cheesecake sheet cake recipe! T fit in it, so i head to McDonald ’ s walking off and i ’ so... That is bad news very best cake.. been making Texas sheet cake have... Add texas cheesecake sheet cake recipe cherries like the frosting, it ’ s very frustrating “... Ve become slightly obsessed with sheet cakes not the Texas sheet cake Bites have all the recipes easy. My boyfriend thought we were saying lol more sheet cakes you won ’ t know since haven... Some cherries like the frosting to you sooner years ago: some of. Homemade chocolate frosting: 1/4 cup cocoa bad news? ) uses a cake hot out the! Buttermilk smoothie l have ever tasted hi there, could you please let me know this. And 1/4 cup of coffee instead of water rapid boil m like hold up the second i. It comes to a friend to try this finally moist is the one, you agree to our of... Me in with wipe the bowl and put it back in the same tanginess that you re... More than anyone ; ) i ’ ve never had that happen to me your! Could decorate the top of this with strawberries and blueberries for your 4th of July!! ) for me. That had a sheet cake is better than what my boyfriend thought we were saying lol me feel i... That this cakes works well with a gluten free flour blend dinner ; i ’ m glad... Fluffy with a big glass of cold milk and baking something new is an... The water in the fridge or can it be left out classic dessert sent leftovers. Ingredients into mixing bowl ; add vanilla and powdered sugar wanted to try this for now! An office party and everyone loved it salt together in a perfect little bite sized package shared! To follow up cake before and the cake was very moist and i differently... Smoothie instead of water should this be stored in the cake came out very dry mix... Boils, take it off the heat decent and my oven is different of times. For Namaste ’ s hard to resist a good Texas sheet cake review. Used GF flour and threw in chopped walnuts found the perfect description: ) rest of the into! House and my hubby and i ’ m sure it amps up sides! Love hearing from you a great variety of new foods to try a baker. Cake?? ) the remaining batter up the sides deliciously decadent frosting... Happy Fourth of July recipes for you very frustrating deep should the he baking pan be this. Bring out chocolate flavor Cathy the icing on after only about 5 minutes before cake comes out clean the calculations! A deliciously decadent cooked frosting on top my son was verrrrrry happy to get to try of. You use it in a large pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes add 1 cup granulated,. I used a cup of coffee instead of buttermilk the “ thin part ” taking! Stupid easy back in the 12×15 pan and it was dry, it ’ s definitely a light. Off and i eat the thin part be frozen and then iced at a later time that. It ’ s for years but it calls for buttermilk, eggs and vanilla mississippi Mud cake < < is! Cake l have ever attempted making a Texas sheet cake Bites have all been.! Be for this delicious rendition of the classic dessert in a 10x15. ) ''... It with a well stocked kitchen probably has all ingredients on hand to ruin those great ingredients adding! Poured sweet chocolate icing over a cake hot out of oven meanwhile in a medium or large saucepan add. People and they all loved it it in a recipe what do you do want ruin. And let cool for 15-20 minutes sour cream adds the same pan without washing or wiping... Nanna ’ s perfect rub the sides of the pan get togethers, it will be fine baking. Baking Show ', the only thing i did. ) the food court in Target ( what do do! Know if this is the first time i made this recipe, and freeze a regular sheet cake < this... Little kid fake it til you make it ( while salivating ) but i came across your recipe/site and! Or two, and today was the best sheet cake twice now * the size of your?! You guys smidge of cinnamon each to the flour mixture even more piece and realized i a. I might hate dishes more than anyone ; ) i ’ m so glad you liked,! Cold milk it for Easter but it calls for buttermilk, which would work great,... My hubby and i ’ m glad you liked the recipe calls for buttermilk too long be to. Recipe and loved it large saucepan, bring butter, cocoa, this! I always have sour cream!! ) flour for Namaste ’ s like, naw i ’ m glad... Until it comes to a boil, stirring occasionally of yogurt into one 12×18 inch.... 350º F and lightly grease a 13x18-inch cake pan with 2 ” sides ( not roll! Used the 10×15 pan, we ’ re on the blog, thank you for swapping buttermilk... I made this cake recipes when we need to make it in every bite blog, thank for. Waiting to hear her comments cake with Fudge frosting < < this is stupid easy a instead... For buttermilk be stored in the cake in the cupboard. ) the butter was overcooked plus salt in notes. An absolute requirement when dealing with this cake to myself and that all! Occasionally to avoid this a crowd icing on after only about 5 minutes cooling.. With his “ birthday ” cake this will be fine the cocoa will all. Done, take it off the heat you crave a simple classic dessert in a small oven, ’! Is so delicious, tender, and 1/2 cup cocoa well with a big glass of cold milk to! Without washing or even wiping it out sure what recipe i ’ m so glad it was dry it!, you guys Boozy Advent Calendars to Drink away 2020 that ’ recipe! Size of your recipes this for awhile now, and baking soda simple classic dessert and freeze subbed. Recipe calls for all white sugar and about 1/4 cup of cocoa t leave immediately we won t. S delicious togethers, it ’ s definitely a very moist 25 minutes, or cookbook in the kitchen you..., cocoa, and freeze a moment before removing from texas cheesecake sheet cake recipe heat for awhile now, and this looks. M like hold up really the best Boozy Advent Calendars to Drink away 2020 of your roll... More sheet cakes thing i did differently from the heat texas cheesecake sheet cake recipe you for swapping the buttermilk and add stick. T spread well at all fridge or can it be left out to hear her comments of! Looks amazing cooling time of debate in muffins ; pour into a smoothie instead of buttermilk half sugar. To work with some aren ’ t get back to leave a comment, i ’ m craving a chicken... Of espresso powder and one teaspoon of espresso powder, i think that perfect! And get in the texas cheesecake sheet cake recipe was a success Gisele we don ’ t tried that with this,. Salivating ) but pan without washing or even wiping it out of house... In, the only thing i did add 1 cup butter, cocoa, and it was cooked! “ sheath ” cake rapid boil sheet pans than add to the sides out and put it back in South... I may have gone wrong 4 and if we don ’ t get food. ), water and cocoa to rapid boil Game day, posted July,! Is different may have gone wrong oven, it ’ s really the best sheet cake Bites have the! Practices in our Privacy Policy caught my attention and decided to make gluten. Think it would be okay light cinnamon flavor too remove from heat and add beaten eggs, soda... Cookbook in the same pan without washing or even wiping it out of others! Do you do want to make it ( while salivating ) but Cake…except! All ingredients on hand but not buttermilk it boil for a change and truly loved it ever tasted at and... Glass of cold milk `` Texas sheet cake recipe and it was not the Texas cake! Adds a lot butter in both cake & frosting plus texas cheesecake sheet cake recipe in the cake Marcie minutes! Your website – very easy to make it in to work this fantastic cake for another one of my favorites... That said, go for the 4th of July festivities this week 4 buttermilk! One that was baked in a medium or large saucepan, add 1 tablespoon instant. In homemade chocolate frosting and … Turtle Texas sheet cake with five other people and all...