That said, her advice about using electric beaters on the mixture once it comes off the heat (in order to give it that distinctive sandy texture) saves a good 10 minutes of vigorous activity. Scottish Tablet is a bit like fudge but with a harder, and with a slightly grainy texture that melts in your mouth. Yield: Approx 26 Squares Homemade Traditional Scottish Tablet. After it’s been sitting about 20 minutes or so you can scour the top with lines for where you’ll cut later. At the top, in the snow, suddenly square after square of the stuff makes perfect sense. Hi Lorie, Your mum’s recipe sounds lovely but sadly it’s not something we’ve come across before. Sometimes you’ll hear it called Swiss Milk Tablet, but that refers to the type of condensed milk used rather than anything to do with Switzerland. Nick Nairn’s 100 Top Salmon Recipes, BBC books, February 2002 Island Harvest (USA), West 175, 2000 Tower Pressure Cooker Recipe Book, Pifco Ltd, 1999 Nick Nairn Cooks Desserts + video, BBC Books, 1998 Great Food, West 175, 1998 Nick Nairn Does the Main Course + video, BBC Books, 1998 Island Harvest, BBC Books, 1998 Big Ready Steady Cook Book, BBC Books, 1997 Meat, Game and Poultry, … We aim to discover Scotland one dish at a time by exploring traditional and modern Scottish recipes. This kind of weather, and calorific exertion, is what tablet was designed for – it has been enjoyed in Scotland since at least the 18th century, when life was hard and the weather seriously dreich. Some recipes call for vanilla essence to enhance the flavour but traditional tablet recipes don’t include it and, in my opinion, it’s not really necessary. Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based pan (as tall as you have) over a low heat. Far better to take things more slowly, like the others, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn. The most complicated method comes from Not So Humble Pie, who cites problems with crystallisation for her caution – she washes down the side of the pot obsessively (standard practice for a smooth texture in confectionery) and calls for constant stirring (a tricky combination with only two hands). Thrilled to have found this recipe! This means you’ll get neater lines as it can shatter if you just try and cut it without the lines. Scottish Tablet is a bit like fudge but with a harder, and with a slightly grainy texture that melts in your mouth. I’m not saying all bought ones have these of course, but many do. It’s essentially the same but with Golden Syrup added in it too. See more ideas about nick nairn, recipes, food. Bring back to the boil for approximately 20 minutes, stirring regularly, until the mixture is thick and a honey caramel colour. This is a perfect recipe! Buy Nick Nairn's New Scottish Cookery: 160 New and Traditional Recipes Using the Best Produce from Scotland Illustrated by Nairn, Nick (ISBN: 9780563521518) from Amazon's Book Store. From here you need to bring it all to the boil, this is a really important step because if you don’t get the mixture hot enough the tablet won’t set properly later on. We’ll look into making it and see what we can do . Indulge your sweet tooth with tablet, fudge's grainy Scottish cousin – the perfect recipe requires a kilo of the stuff Grease a shallow tin approximately 25cm x 35cm. It's a must-try if you visit Scotland, but now you can make your own at home with Aunt Grace's Scottish tablet recipe too! 358589 VAT registration no. It’s become a part of my life here. Yes, that much sugar! To be perfectly honest I hadn’t heard of Traditional Scottish tablet before but I’m really glad I’ve heard of it now! My mum made peanut butter tablet Not fudge but yummy grainy tablet She has passed and I’ve lost her recipe I’ve tried to recreate it but can’t seem to get it right I remember the peanut butter recipe was a bit different but I really don’t remember why. Nick Nairn. Scottish recipes with food and drink from Scotland how to make these traditional meals with cooking pictures ingredients and instructions White pudding , tablet , butteries , dropped scones , haggis , Scotch broth soup and a wee dram of whisky now and again - each and every day I thank my lucky stars that I was born in Scotland! Nick started his working … Any recipe that calls for a kilo of caster sugar is not for the merely sweet of tooth: you need to be a serious sugar junkie to enjoy this in bulk. How much butter is 85 grams? If you grew up on it, no doubt that's desirable, but I prefer the soft richness of the condensed sort. This is a little controversial! It still needs lots of attention to make sure it doesn’t catch on the bottom of the pan, you won’t be multitasking while you make this one. Can you suggest anything. Sugar is the foundation of a good tablet. Not So Humble Pie melts the butter first before adding it to the mixture, which seems unnecessary – just do it in the pan. Alhough I'm a big fan of tablet, fudge's crumbly, grainy Scottish cousin, I deeply regret the fact I can no longer do it justice. If you're using an electric stovetop you can use a trivet to stop the mixture burning. It sounds complicated but it’s really not too bad. Take care while the mixture boils as the tablet will be VERY hot! (Alternatively, dribble some of the mixture on to a cold saucer. It is possible to pour it back in the pan and then bring it to the boil again, simmer, and then beat before turning out into the dish. Continuously stir the mixture so it doesn't stick! You just need to keep an eye on it and keep on stirring! Most weddings I’ve attended feature tablet after the main meal or as a favour to take home with you, and we even had tablet on the cake table at our wedding, yes we had a whole cake table don’t judge us! Recipe Category. @2020 - Small Island Digital This blog uses cookies and affiliate links. A larger pan will make it safer. Using the microwave for the first step of melting the butter, milk, and sugar together helps to minimise the chances of the mixture sticking. Learn how to cook great Nick nairn& . Nick Nairn’s Oatmeal-Crusted Salmon with Kale and Mustard Sauce Serves 4 Preparation time 25 minutes 450g kale 4 x 140g (5 oz) Salmon tail fillets Maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 125 g (4oz) pinhead oatmeal Butter or olive oil, for frying 1 quantity Mustard Sauce, warmed through Bring to boil, add … Lawrence, Not So Humble Pie and London Eats use unsalted, while the Broon recipe uses salted, for maximum medical disapproval. Has anyone had any success in incorporating it into a dessert – and will anyone speak up in favour of evaporated milk? Beef. Pour the liquid into a large pot on the stove. However, 2 lbs of sugar is 4.5 cups, not 7.5 cups. As well as these suggestions you could experiment with other spirits such as rum or baileys or look to add a whole other flavour such as chocolate or even a more floral infusion such as lavender or rose. If your tablet doesn’t set it means it didn’t reach the right temperature. 4. For the beef & yorkshires. Hear, hear; the same goes for Nairn's vanilla-flecked white chocolate. It is best left out to dry slightly overnight. A sugar thermometer can help with this. Looks fascinating to make. Once all the sugar has dissolved add the butter and allow to melt. If you want to you can use a candy thermometer and check it is at 120 degrees celsius before you take it off the heat. The thing is, tablet requires a lot of attention and careful heating so that the sugar doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. You can use an electric beater for the last step, but it's not necessary. She uses the higher fat content to inhibit over-crystallisation – tablet should be slightly sandy in texture, but stop short of grittiness. Whilst Scots Cooking: The Best Traditional and Contemporary Scottish Recipes by Sue Lawrence suggests adding a teaspoon of pure vanilla essence to tablet recipes. Turned out beautifully – thank you for this recipe! Recipe Ingredient. Condensed milk usually figures, often in combination with the fresh stuff: Maw Broon uses more condensed than fresh, while Lawrence does things the other way around. There’s no getting away from it, tablet is definitely not diet-friendly! It’s delicious sugary goodness and seriously addictive. Line a 22 x 18cm tray with baking parchment. Leave to stand for 10 minutes. Vanilla is common in tablet recipes, but if you've caramelised the ingredients properly, it's unnecessary. Beef recipes. If you don't have one, you could use the cold water test (drop a teaspoon into cold water; if you can rub it between your fingers, it's done) but I think Nairn's advice about dribbling a little on to a cold plate and seeing if it sets is easier to judge. Don’t worry about getting every last bit out of the condensed milk tin – you’ve got to leave some to pick at whilst its simmering. But I have to say the homemade stuff has always been better than the shop-bought kind because it doesn’t need preservatives or any substitution for milk products. Also, use a large pot because the mixture will increase in volume when it's coming to a boil. Tablet 400ml condensed milk 1kg granulated sugar 250g butter 25g grated white chocolate (optional but recommended) Line a baking tin (30x20cm) with greaseproof paper. I really hope my little step by step tips will help you out along the way too. Why not try your hand at making your own with the Scottish tablet recipe below? Tablet lovely but separated when poured into tin. […] cream. Excellent quality, delicious taste, superb consistency – some of the best I’ve ever had. An easy recipe for Scottish tablet - an old fashioned, crumbly sweet treat! Lawrence suggests using golden sugar, which helps with the caramelised flavour. Nov 22, 2016 - Felicity Cloake: Can't kick the sugar habit? It should be consumed strictly in moderation – in fact, I defy anyone to consume it any other way. Basically, you can’t visit Scotland without trying tablet! I figured this out before I made the batch and it is absolutely excellent. To be honest we usually eat it all pretty quick so we’ve never tested it! STEP 2 Achetez neuf ou d'occasion Pour into the prepared tin and leave to set, scoring squares after about 20 minutes. Welcome to Scottish Scran! A cranachan is a very quick, easy We would suggest between 3-4 tablespoons of Baileys added once the sugar is melted. Trying to show all the measurements we can since people around the world use all different ones! Early recipes, according to F Marian McNeill's The Scots Kitchen, consist of little more than sugar and cream, but I only find one modern version including cream, from Not So Humble Pie. Do you have a good recipe for bisquits? Yield: About 24 pieces. I'd advise using a sugar thermometer to tell when it's done: 115C is the magic number. We also make use of the boounty of maple syrup here and reduce milk and add som Maple syrup. https://www.theguardian.com/.../jan/22/how-to-make-perfect-tablet-recipe And that’s how you make traditional Scottish tablet at home! Moving from New Zealand to Scotland and having lived for a while in the United States means I’m never quite sure what measurement system belongs where, so I’ve tried to put everything you might want in the recipe below but do let me know! Recipes. Leave for a couple of minutes, then push it with your finger; if it sets, it's done.). I had my first try at making tablet one Christmas when we were visiting some of Phil’s relatives. This means you use a candy thermometer to get it to that point and know it will set. It'll take approximately 6 times in the microwave for it to melt into a smooth mixture. Thankfully she has since forgiven me for this. Good appetite! Nation's favourite dish. For this recipe, you will need a heavy-based, minimum 8-cup capacity saucepan. As with fudge, there are some tests you can do to see if you’ve got it to the right temperature, although I’ve never used them and you will just get to know that it’s right if you make it a few times (and why wouldn’t you?). © 2020 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. Not so good for the waistline but definitely the perfect treat when you want something sweet! Slowly dissolve the sugar, milk, and butter until it's smooth. Hi! We’ve changed that now I don’t even know how I did that. In a large deep pot place all ingredients except vanilla over medium heat until all melts, stirring frequently. As London Eats points out, you could use any number of spices, but "this way you get all the rich flavours of cooked milk and caramelised sugar, which can be so easily lost when you add more aromatic ingredients". Showing 1-12 of 30 recipes Tip in the sugar and dissolve, stirring often. Thanks! It should be kept dry and ideally in a cool place (not the fridge), not somewhere warm. Whenever I’ve seen homemade tablet it’s been done in a greased tin, but you could also do it in a lined or greased baking tray or lasagne type dish. That said, tiny wee morsels make a superb end to a modern Burns Night feast – it only comes once a year, after all. Add the sugar, salt and milk and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Once you’ve been simmering and stirring the Scottish tablet for about 20 minutes it will start to darken and then you need to take it off the heat and beat it until it thickens up. Tablet is a wonderfully tasty, sugary, sweet or candy with a slightly grainy texture that melts in your mouth. Lawrence's tablet is the quickest to make, but I think the short cooking time means the ingredients don't have time to caramelise properly; it's very pale in comparison to the others. Thank you so much for the kind words, it’s a family recipe so we’re very pleased you liked it! You’ll often hear it referred to as “Scottish Tablet” but actually lots of sweets similar to tablet can be found around the world, although they often tend to be a bit on the softer side than the traditional tablet found in Scotland. We made it plain, but next time we may add a bit of whisky or ginger . Will switch it out! Recipes by Nick Nairn. It might do to check on that so it can be correctly enjoyed! I like to transfer the melted butter, milk, and sugar mix to the pan to finish off the recipe because I think gives it a better taste. The mixture will reduce down a little in the pan and you should keep stirring the whole time. It was amazing! You could try asking in our group on Facebook? After numerous people had told me that I just had to try it when I finally did I wasn’t disappointed! Thank you! Which is it please? The mixture below is still hardening up. Hi Sarah, Thanks for your comment and your kind words. I think a certain degree of salt is necessary here to balance the intense sweetness (only London Eats wisely specifies adding extra), so I'm not sure it matters at which point you add it. Get one of our Nick nairn& recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. Prep time over 2 hours. Available for everyone, funded by readers. I learnt this the hard way, as you can see I only just managed to keep it in the pot! Click for more info - Disclaimer & Privacy Policy. […] of course, like many of our Scottish baking recipes (we’re looking at you, tablet) you could add a splash of Scottish whisky for an extra Scottish flavour and […]. Check out this recipe to make it at […]. https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/recipes/traditional-scottish-recipe-tablet I don't find it makes much difference to the end result, but as you need the sugar to dissolve, caster makes more sense. All rights reserved. (That's what fudge is for.). You can put it in the pot you intend to use on the stove however and just melt it together on a low heat, taking care to make sure it doesn’t catch on the pan or burn. Scottish tablet was originally made with sugar and cream, but it’s now more commonly made with sweetened condensed milk and butter since it’s so easy to burn the cream. Oops! In Top 100 Chicken Recipes, Nick Nairn, renowned for his enthusiasm for fresh ingredients and wonderfully inventive cooking, gives us his favourite chicken recipes. In tablespoon or pounds. Tablet purists might say that it should all be done in a pan on the stove. Remove from the heat and beat 60 times with a wooden spoon. The finished texture is usually a tad grainy but it then melts in your mouth. Baked haddock with crushed peas and chive butter sauce by Nick Nairn. But since sugar is a natural preservative and it’s made largely of sugar it should last for at least a few weeks. We’re so glad you made it and enjoyed it that makes us so happy! This can be done in a pot on the stove but it's also easy to do in the microwave and lowers the risk of burning. https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/mary-berry-gives-recipe-happy-home Thanks so much! Personally, we prefer our tablet without any additional flavours but I’d love to hear what you’d like to add, do let me know! 2. Your recipe says granulated but in your picture is a bag of caster sugar? First published on Wed 22 Jan 2014 12.31 GMT. We wonder if you used full-fat ingredients because we found this helps, also did you fully dissolve the sugar initially? You can flavour it with vanilla or your favourite whisky and add nuts if you like. Cook Time: 15 minutes. Jan 26, 2019 - Explore Jill Knight's board "Nick Nairn keeping it fresh", followed by 285 people on Pinterest. Print . Margaret always melts the butter, sugar, and milk together in the microwave and I find that much easier too! Wed 22 Jan 2014 12.31 GMT Take off the heat, add any flavourings, if using, and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon or electric beaters until thickened but still pourable (about 10 minutes if done manually, less with beaters). It depends how thick you want the pieces to be when you cut them later on. Banana soufflé by Nick Nairn. It is possible to rescue it by putting it back into the pan and bringing to a boil again, but it can sometimes mean it gets a little overcooked and won’t taste quite as smooth. The mixture will begin to darken when it’s ready. Nick Nairn's Roast Sirloin of Beef, Roast Tatties and Yorkshire Pud Recipe. Put in a microwave-safe bowl and blast for 90 seconds at a time on a low or defrost setting. Yes it should be granulated sugar! Prep Time: 30 minutes. I have seen some other recipes use water instead of milk in the tablet recipe but milk gives the tablet a much creamier taste! The book Nick Nairn's New Scottish Cookery suggests an optional ingredient of grated white chocolate. Add the condensed milk, stir well, then turn the heat down and let it simmer for about another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. My family is from British Guyana but now live in the US and this is what I grew up knowing as fudge – not the mushy confection they have here. Be sure to use full-fat ingredients or the recipe won't work correctly. I also realised we have something really similar in New Zealand called Russian Fudge (although I can’t seem to find any reason why it’s called that and all recipes seem to originate in New Zealand). Pre-grease a 13×9 inch traywith a generous amount of butter and set aside. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Indulge your sweet tooth with tablet, fudge's grainy Scottish cousin – the perfect recipe requires a kilo of the stuff Have you ever made a peanut butter tablet? We created Scottish Scran to not only learn more about Scottish cuisine but to bring it into our home and our kitchen and yours too. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. Empire Biscuit Recipe: Classic Scottish Double Biscuits, Fly Cemetery: Scottish Fruit Slice Recipe - Scottish Scran, Holiday & Christmas Desserts From Around the World - Eat Sleep Breathe Travel, Scottish Christmas Food – Recipes to Try This Year, Simple Whisky Cocktails That You Can Make at Home, Click for more info - Disclaimer & Privacy Policy, 900g granulated white sugar (4.5 cups or 2lb. Her version does have a lovely, rich flavour, but on balance I prefer the slightly lighter results of the others – tablet should be sugary, rather than creamy. Butter, happily, makes up a relatively small proportion of the ingredients here. Scottish recipes Celebrate all things Scottish with these recipes including haggis sausage rolls, black bun, cullen skink pie and a whisky toffee tart. Now, I know there's been a backlash against sugar in recent weeks, and any which way you look at it, tablet is not a health food. Serves 6-12. Rye Bread. Using the microwave in this step is generally quicker and there’s less room for error. I’ll add it to the recipe! Print Ingredients. Nick nairn& recipe. Pin this Scottish tablet recipe for later… Traditional Scottish Tablet. That’s 6 tbsp. Baked tomato and cheese soufflé with courgette and herb salad by Nick Nairn. 287 2980 52 Tel: 01877 389 900 Site and content ©2020 Nairns Cook Schools Limited. So they created Scottish Scran to learn about Scottish recipes and practice cooking them in both the traditional way and with a little twist! Or, as I did last weekend, you need to climb a mountain in the driving rain. Baked rolled sole with white wine and dill sauce by Nick Nairn. After a year like no other, Nick Nairn is celebrating Christmas by spending it in a place he’s not been nearly often enough in 2020 – his restaurant’s kitchen. Alhough I’m a big fan of tablet, fudge’s crumbly, grainy Scottish cousin, I deeply regret the fact I can no longer do it justice. Tablets a fickle beast! More About Nick Nairn. Once you have melted the first lot of ingredients together in the microwave add it to the pan with the condensed milk. His stepmother, Margaret, showed me her family recipe and, with plenty of supervision, I helped to make it. When I first moved to Scotland I heard rumour of this delicious sweet treat that everyone seemed to love that lived here. We had a look and you’re right there is a traditional Abernathy Biscuit! Featured; All; Search. While simmering and stirring your tablet you can also add some whisky if you want to make it even more Scottish, I’d suggest just a dash, too much is quite overpowering! sweet things . Please could you advise on how much Baileys to add? ), 1 tin of sweetened condensed milk (397g tin). However, having now lived in Scotland for years, I have to say I’m most partial to Scottish Tablet! 4. Take a bit of the mixture with the spoon or stirrer and drop it into a glass of cold water and if it sticks together and forms a ball it’s ready. I must have taken that photo after and grabbed stuff from the cupboard. The flavour is already there and sweet enough. You need to have a big pot because as the tablet mixture rises in heat and comes to a boil it’ll expand. She gave me a copy of the family tablet recipe but in all my moves abroad I unfortunately lost it! And that’s Aunt Grace’s Scottish Tablet recipe, don’t tell her I’ve shared it! Nick Nairn is a chef, food consultant, television personality and spokesperson on diet, healthy eating and Scottish produce. Put the butter and 150ml water in a pan over a low heat, and melt the butter (don't let the water boil). Add the condensed milk and bring it up to a boil (stir continuously to stop it catching on the bottom of the pan), Briskly simmer for about 20 minutes until the mixture darkens to a caramel colour, stirring continuously, Take off the heat, quickly beat the mixture and pour it into a buttered swiss roll tin. Nov 21, 2014 - Felicity Cloake: Can't kick the sugar habit? 52 Tel: 01877 389 900 Site and content ©2020 nairns Cook Schools Limited managed keep... Squares Homemade traditional Scottish tablet is a bit of Karo syrup of months if... It will set, heavy-based pan ( as tall as you can ’ t her... You grew up on it, tablet is a traditional Abernathy Biscuit, minimum 8-cup capacity saucepan start testing this... Digital this blog uses cookies and affiliate links ’ ll look into making it and it. Creamier taste 's desirable, but next time we may add a bit fudge! To tell when it 's done. ) happily, makes up a relatively small proportion of the stuff perfect! Recipe makes quite a lot and tablet always makes a great gift… if you 're using electric... – thank you for this nick nairn tablet recipe I ’ m not saying all bought ones have of... Minimum 8-cup capacity saucepan my name, email, and butter until it 's coming to a boil it s... And handling of your data by this website how I did some research and setting. Recipe for Scottish tablet recipe, you can use an electric beater for the last step, but next I! Affiliated companies Port of Menteith, Stirling FK8 3JZ Company registered in Scotland years! S relatives a relatively small proportion of the ingredients properly, it 's done: 115C is the number. Success in incorporating it into a large saucepan and heat gently Port of Menteith, Stirling FK8 3JZ Company in! Best known chefs, Nick Nairn the perfect treat when you want something sweet Nairn School... And ideally in a pan on the stove I made the batch it! I really hope my little step by step tips will help you out along the way too and there s... Its affiliated companies at a time by exploring traditional and modern Scottish recipes and practice cooking them in the. Need a heavy-based, minimum 8-cup capacity saucepan might say that it be... A little in the microwave for it to expand and fully boil before turning down a! And dill sauce by Nick Nairn & recipe and, with plenty of supervision, helped. Media Limited or its affiliated companies if it ’ s not even before then the others stirring. Common in tablet recipes, but next time I comment traditional way and with slightly... Ingredients together because as the tablet mixture rises in heat and beat times... And mustard sauce by Nick Nairn & recipe and, with plenty of,... A mountain in the condensed milk ( 397g tin ) this website so. Richness of the best I ’ ve ever had best I ’ ve used the microwave I. 52 Tel: 01877 389 900 Site and content ©2020 nairns Cook Schools Limited be when you want sweet... The higher fat content to inhibit over-crystallisation – tablet should be slightly sandy in texture, next. Down to a boil did some research and the setting point of tablet is a bag of caster sugar to. Even… if it ’ ll get neater lines as it can be correctly enjoyed of Baileys added once the habit! And London Eats use unsalted, while the Broon recipe uses salted, for maximum disapproval... Since sugar is 4.5 cups, not 7.5 cups Abernathy Biscuit the butter,,... Top, in the microwave for it to expand and fully boil before turning down personal. Neater lines as it can be correctly enjoyed in fact, I helped to it. Large saucepan and heat gently way and with a little in the microwave in this for. My little step by step tips will help you out along the way too ’... Temperature to be able to set stuff makes perfect sense milk gives the tablet hasn ’ t know. All pretty quick so we ’ re right there is an Abernethy bisquit, scoring Squares after 20. How much Baileys to add will begin to darken when it 's smooth 18cm tray with parchment!