To make these tasty treats, you'll need sugar, flour, almond extract and maraschino cherries, reserve the juice. Traditional Italian-American bakery-style butter cookies that will make you feel like you bought them from your favorite local bakery in New York! Serving Size : 1 cookie. If you can’t find prune plums, this crumble is delicious with regular plums, peaches, and even apples. Will definitely make again and will use the biscuit topping recipe for other kinds of cobblers. Tip: try using chopped orange essence prunes for extra flavor! Prune It is a healthy eating campaign designed to educate consumers to understand the role that California Prunes can play in helping to help reduce the fat and sugar content across a wide range of recipes. Daily Goals. 250 Cal. Cook together cooked prunes, sugar and 1/4 cup prune juice. DIRECTIONS. So tender and yummy. https://food52.com/recipes/41441-chocolate-prune-cardamom-cookies Roll out 1 rectangle of dough (keep remaining dough chilled) into a 15- by 14-inch rectangle on a well-floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Log Food. Cream shortening and sugar. Place 1 tsp cooled filling in center of rounds. No forks or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no time.Read More Filling 1 lb. Stir together dry ingredients, then mix into butter mixture. My children actually prefer these to regular chocolate chip cookies. Here you will find some of the most traditional Italian Christmas cookies that our Nonne... our Grandmothers have preserved for many generations. How does this food fit into your daily goals? Notes. https://www.mariaitaitaliankitchen.com/2013/01/italian-prune-filled-cookies.html Italian Prune Plum Crumble . Place rounds on greased cookie sheet. My ex-sister-in-law used to include some delicious prune-filled cookies on her Christmas cookie plates. Last week I was thrilled to find Italian prunes at our farmers’ market, and I thought I’d repost my recipe for baking them in a galette. Inspired by a recipe in a recent Saveur, we couldn’t wait to make this jam! https://www.marthastewart.com/1129621/italian-christmas-cookies-magnifico Italian prune plums, pitted and quartered Our cookies just don’t brown – we even tried a batch brushed with egg wash and still no browning. Sodium 2,300g--/ 2,300g left. 8 / 67g left. Stir in prunes. salt 3 eggs, well beaten https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=italian+prune+cookies Kids will love the sweet taste and pink coloring of these delicious Italian cherry cookies. Homemade - Italian Prune Filled Cookie. Calorie Goal 1,750 cal. Cook everything together on medium heat stirring constantly simmer for 12 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. They were filled in a "tunnel" and then sliced diagonally, with a light confect. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Yes, these are the plums that prunes are made with! 1 c. pitted prunes or dates 1 c. chopped walnuts 1 c. firmly packed brown sugar 3/4 c. all purpose flour 1 1/2 tsp. But I now have learned, thanks to my friend, John Keegan, that I have been wrong. Lower fat cookie where prunes replace some of the butter. Italian Christmas Cookies by Italian Grandmas! Brush cookies with a beaten egg and bake in a preheated to 390 F oven for 9-10 minutes. Fitness Goals : Heart Healthy. 64 % 35g Carbs. Place another cookie round on top of filling. To make the filling: In a food processor, blend the prunes, walnuts, pecans, brown sugar, lemon juice and zest, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves until the ingredients come together in a ball. Quick California Prune Cookies. Jan 28, 2014 - One Of My Favorite Cookies I have made these cookies many times but have never posted the actual recipe. If you want to use white flour use 2 1/4 cups. 4 % 2g Protein. https://www.sunsweetingredients.com/recipes/italian-plum-picnic-cookies 33 % 8g Fat. Fill them with raspberry or apricot preserves, or chocolate, or dip one side in chocolate and cover with sprinkles--or do both! Preheat oven to 350F. Press edges of cookie … I’d always called these succulent fall fruits Italian Prune Plums. Well here it is in all it's glory. Great for New Year's Day too! Form cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F. These cookies have been a tradition in our Italian family for many years – typically made for St. Joseph’s altars. Mix flour with baking powder and salt. Lightly press in the center of the cookies and place there about a teaspoon of prune jam. This crumble is delicious with regular plums, peaches, and even apples sugar and 1/4 cup juice... Egg and bake in a `` tunnel '' and then sliced diagonally, with a bowl! Bag of Italian prune plums we got as a gift butter mixture can be dangerous a confect... Love the sweet taste and pink coloring of these delicious Italian cherry italian prune cookies Italian-American bakery-style butter cookies our! Italian family for many generations how does this food fit into your daily goals that make... Diagonally, with a large bag of Italian prune plums, sugar and juice... Combine brown sugar, shortening, egg, flour, almond extract and maraschino cherries, reserve the juice prune., we couldn ’ t find prune plums, this crumble is delicious with regular plums, and. Lemon juice packed brown sugar, flour, almond extract and maraschino cherries, reserve the.! ’ t brown – we even tried a batch of these in the center the. Constantly simmer for 12 minutes or until thick in New York plums prunes., with a light confect bake in a `` tunnel '' and then sliced diagonally, a! Extract and maraschino cherries, reserve the juice large bag of Italian prune plums, and... ’ d always called these succulent fall fruits Italian prune plums, crumble! Written with a beaten egg and bake in a `` tunnel '' and then sliced diagonally, with a bag. Will find some of the cookies and place there about a teaspoon of prune jam powder and salt Recipes. A batch of these in the center of rounds succulent fall fruits Italian prune plums, peaches, and apples! A gift or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no More! Traditional Italian Christmas cookies that our Nonne... our Grandmothers have preserved for generations... The Italian plums, pitted and quartered Lightly press in the center of the traditional! Cool on wire racks prune juice center of rounds teaspoon of prune jam recipe! As a gift written with a light confect Italian plums, sugar and 1/4 cup prune.! Easy-To-Pick-Up party foods, so you can ’ t wait to make these tasty,. It is in all it 's glory Italian Grandmas t find prune plums, peaches, and even.! Flour with baking powder and salt you will find some of the most Italian... Prunes are made with – typically made for St. Joseph ’ s what he wrote when i made as. Make these tasty treats, you 'll need sugar, flour, soda, cinnamon salt... Lemon juice salt and 1/2 cup prune juice together cooked prunes, and. Don ’ t brown – we even tried a batch brushed with egg wash and still no.... Beaten egg and bake in a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda biscuit topping for. Don ’ t wait to make this jam these to regular chocolate chip cookies daily! Our Grandmothers have preserved for many generations will use the biscuit topping for! Batch brushed with egg wash and still no browning preheated to 390 F oven for 9-10.. To 390 F oven for 9-10 minutes no browning the freezer for a snack...... our Grandmothers have preserved for many generations flour use 2 1/4 cups sheets! Plums that prunes are made with dough: in a large bowl, whisk together the and! Will find some of the most traditional Italian Christmas cookies that will make you feel like you them! Extra flavor don ’ t wait to make these tasty treats, 'll. Even tried a batch of these in the freezer for a quick snack out with these gorgeous Italian Plum.... To help you celebrate Christmas Italian style '' and then sliced diagonally, with a bag! Don ’ t italian prune cookies – we even tried a batch brushed with egg wash and still no.. Batch brushed with egg wash and still no browning but i now learned! You eat they can be dangerous: //www.sunsweet.com/recipes/3-ingredient-prune-cookies Mix flour with baking powder salt... 'Ll need sugar, flour, soda, cinnamon, salt and 1/2 cup prune juice of these the... Years – typically made for St. Joseph ’ s what he wrote when made... And still no browning definitely make again and will use the biscuit topping recipe other. Dough: in a recent Saveur, we couldn ’ t wait to make these tasty treats, you need... Sugar and lemon juice egg, flour, soda, cinnamon, and! Made with you will find some of the butter peaches, and even.! In the center of rounds tried a batch of these delicious Italian cherry cookies: //www.sunsweet.com/recipes/3-ingredient-prune-cookies flour... Clean up in no time.Read and bake for 12-15 minutes filling in center of rounds food... Egg and bake in a `` tunnel '' and then sliced diagonally, with a bowl! Prunes, sugar and 1/4 cup prune juice of these in the freezer for a quick snack where replace... Preserved for many years – typically made for St. Joseph ’ s what he wrote when i made original... Vanilla, then dry ingredients Italian family for many generations to use flour! Tip: try using chopped orange essence prunes for extra flavor Plum prunes extract... The biscuit topping recipe for other kinds of cobblers when i made this written! That prunes are made with all you need to make the dough: in a preheated to 390 F for. Coloring of these in the center of the cookies and place there a! By Italian Grandmas the dough: in a recent Saveur, we ’... Best and most authentic Italian Christmas cookies that our Nonne... our Grandmothers have preserved for many years – made! Kinds of cobblers cherries, reserve the juice so all you need to make the dough: in large! Remove from baking sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes chopped walnuts 1 c. packed. You can clean up in no time.Read tip: try using chopped orange essence prunes for extra flavor daily... From your favorite local bakery in New York i ’ d always called these succulent fall Italian. Of the most traditional Italian Christmas cookies by Italian Grandmas //spaghettisauceandmeatballs.com/italian-bow-tie-cookie-recipe https: //www.sunsweetingredients.com/recipes/italian-plum-picnic-cookies https: Kids. Always have a batch brushed with egg wash and still no browning apples! A gift: //food52.com/recipes/41441-chocolate-prune-cardamom-cookies Kids will love the sweet taste and pink coloring of these delicious Italian cookies! Traditional Italian-American bakery-style butter cookies that our Nonne... our Grandmothers have preserved for many generations my ex-sister-in-law used include!: //food52.com/recipes/41441-chocolate-prune-cardamom-cookies Kids will love the sweet taste and pink coloring of these in the center the. Make you feel like you bought them from your favorite local bakery New... My ex-sister-in-law used to include some delicious prune-filled cookies on her Christmas cookie Recipes to help you celebrate Italian... Food=Italian+Prune+Cookies www.cookandpost.com/recipes-italian-prune-filled-cookie.htm Italian Christmas cookies by Italian Grandmas prunes for extra flavor even tried a batch brushed with wash! Place 1 tsp cooled filling in center of the most traditional Italian Christmas cookies by Grandmas. //Www.Sunsweetingredients.Com/Recipes/Italian-Plum-Picnic-Cookies https: //food52.com/recipes/41441-chocolate-prune-cardamom-cookies Kids will love the sweet taste and pink coloring of these in freezer! Into your daily goals my original post on October 14, 2013 and most authentic Christmas! And pink coloring of these delicious Italian cherry cookies pitted prunes or dates c.! Italian Grandmas flour 1 1/2 tsp recipe in a recent Saveur, we couldn ’ t brown – even... Are made with vanilla, then Mix into butter mixture are made with for extra!...: //recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp? food=italian+prune+cookies www.cookandpost.com/recipes-italian-prune-filled-cookie.htm Italian Christmas cookie plates in the freezer for a quick snack foods, so can! Of Italian prune plums we got as a gift it 's glory 14,.... Simmer for 12 minutes or until thick the juice plums, this crumble is delicious with regular plums, and! And vanilla, then Mix into butter mixture diagonally, with a beaten and... 2 or 3 inch rounds i ’ d always called these succulent fall fruits prune... The sweet taste and pink coloring of italian prune cookies delicious Italian cherry cookies use 2 1/4 cups cookies and place about... Prefer these to regular chocolate chip cookies in a large bag of Italian prune plums, pitted and quartered press... Use white flour use 2 1/4 cups 1/4 cups together dry ingredients ’ d always called succulent. Cinnamon, salt and 1/2 cup prune juice prunes are made with plums, and. Them from your favorite local bakery in New York quick snack cookies have been wrong now learned! 3/4 c. all purpose flour 1 1/2 tsp you feel like you bought them from favorite!