best. After reaching Summit Lake, you have the option to turn around and finish the round-trip hike, or continue the last 1000'+ elevation to summit Mt. We also offer nightly and weekly cabin rentals—call us today to learn more about renting a cabin near Mt. Sea_2_Summit 342 … A few weeks after the hike I read a notice from CFI (Colorado Fourteeners Initiative) that discourages use of the Northeast Face trail. Evans summit. Spalding. Get directions, reviews and information for Mt. Evans, home to numerous classic problems such as Seurat, Bierstadt, Timeline, The Ladder, All Dogs Go to Evans, The Dali, and No More Greener Grasses. The hike is steep (very steep) and a mix of rocky areas and loose scree, but it is fun, short, and spectacular. (Mount Evans) at 14,265’. The hike up the broken slope was steep, and the overcast morning had left all the rocks and grasses slippery. 0 Flag Quote. Lake #15 - Chicago Lake Lower - On the road to Mt Evans. A hiker leaves Echo Lake on the Chicago Lakes Trail #52 toward the Chicago Lakes, 4 miles away, Wednesday, June 10, 2020. --George Saunders, last words, Memphis Mountaineers Climbing Colorado - '07, A Winter Traverse of the Bierstadt-Evans Sawtooth, Mt Evans- a gorgeous, but confusing morning hike. "Good-bye. The trail takes you down to a road, along the road for about a mile, then back up into a basin beneath Mt. 4 Reviews (303) 567-4017 Website. Evans Massif: Home; Uplift; Glaciation. Evans Trout Fishing in Idaho Springs, CO. Mt. Evans Road (SH 5) in the campground. ( Log Out / Change ) You are commenting using your Google account. The look on the car tourists face was quite interesting as I suddenly emerged from the trail below and walked into the parking lot. u/Adrawve12. Well, take a pole to check out Chicago Lake for an 11″ Native. Most of the birds have gone down below the snow-line, the plants sleep, and all the fly-wings are folded. Evans Wilderness, CO Distance: 6.5 miles Traveled: Traveled: Chicago Lakes Trail (6,234′) “Hushed now is the life that so late was beating warmly. If you have any questions, please contact me. You then must walk west, across the Mt. share. I hope you enjoy your time perusing my website. Base of Mount Evans- Chicago lakes route. Evans Road and continue west to the SW corner of Echo Lake where the Trail #52 (Chicago Lakes) will then head south. Hiked to Chicago Lakes from Echo Lake on May 14th, 2020. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Email (required) (Address never made public) Name (required) Website. Evans News. Evans road back instead of retracing my route in order to avoid the steep drop down into the Chicago Lakes basin. Now the real fun started. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. 98% Upvoted. 0.5 mile to reach a trail junction for the Chicago Lakes trail - 3. From Idaho Springs take W. Chicago Creek trail south to Echo Lake. OutWestWoods Presents Featured Lakes. Flora & Fauna After passing Idaho Springs Reservoir and the cabins, you'll find many wildflowers along the trail to the Chicago Lakes in the burn area. Park near the Echo Lake lodge and locate a trail which starts on the west side of the lodge parking area - 1.Follow the trail west through the forest for approx. I woke up at the unreasonable hour of 4:30am so that I could make the Echo Lake trailhead by 7am. From here the trail gets really cool. All rights reserved. Evans Road (SH 5) in the campground. There was a thick layer of low lying clouds hovering over the divide, and most of the upper elevations of the Evans area were hidden by clouds. The trail circles Echo Lake and connects to several other trails: Chicago Lakes, Bear Track Lakes trails, which give you access to Mount Evans Wilderness Area which is full of other great hiking trails,and Mt. The trail eventually leads to the Lower and Upper Chicago Lakes. 4 reviews of Mt. On the left is a portion of the Chicago Lakes Trail as it begins to wind and switchback down into the valley. Near the parking area, you’ll … Mt. The Mt. Much More To Discover At OutWestWoods. For a longer hike you can continue hiking south to Summit Lake and on up to the summit of Mount Evans. The road was naturally longer then I had expected, but after 8.5 miles (I took a couple shortcuts) of steady walking I reached the Echo Lake trailhead at 2:30pm. 74. share. The first mile is downhill to the Chicago Creek. Well, take a pole to check out Chicago Lake for an 11″ Native. best top new controversial old q&a. This thread is archived. Both lakes offer excellent views of surrounding peaks. The park is accessible by the paved Mount Evans Road, and while you have to pay to access the road, it is one of … Evans wilderness via Chicago Lakes Trail, CO. Close. The trail begins behind Echo Lake Lodge at Echo Lake. Page 1 of 1 ... Post a Reply to "Camping at Mt. The Chicago Creek Road was built by the Forest Service and the city of Idaho Springs in order to provide access to Chicago Creek Reservoir. The trail takes you down to a road, along the road for about a mile, then back up into a basin beneath Mt. Photo © copyright by Rob Greebon. The trail is about 9 miles round trip and offers amazing views of the Chicago Lakes as well as the 14er seen here. – From Sort by. Evans. Pikes Peak Hwy is Colorado’s second highest road (not all paved), reaching 14,115 ft. Evans … Spaulding and Warren. The Chicago Creek Road was built by the Forest Service and the city of Idaho Springs in order to provide access to Chicago Creek Reservoir. I took it easy for the first 5 miles, and reached … Mt. Most of the birds have gone down below the snow-line, the plants sleep, and all the fly-wings are folded. The approach is just awful, which makes it relatively pleasant compared to other Mt. For the final 300 feet, I joined the tourists and other climbers from different routes, and walked up the gentle trail to the rocky summit. Sat, Jun 18, 2016, 8:30 AM: Two lakes in one hike, and plenty of beautiful mountain scenery.Chicago Lakes Trail near Echo Lake (just prior to the pay station that leads up Mt Evans).Skill level - mode The road itself and Mt. The Chicago Lakes Trail starts about 14 miles from Idaho Springs. Evans. A grand total of 17 miles in 7.5 hours. Just search Colorado’s Ultimate Fishing Map for Chicago Lake Lower for more details. The Chicago Lakes Trail starts about 14 miles from Idaho Springs. Echo Lake was dammed by a lateral moraine of the glacier that formed Chicago Canyon . Located approximately 38 miles west of the metropolitan area, the Chicago Lakes Trail and two Mountain Parks at either end of … 14 comments. The final score for the ascent was 7.2 miles and +4,000 FT. After descending 1.2 miles back to Summit lake via the northeast face, my quads were pretty much jelly. Chicago Lakes Trail Webpage (USFS) Directions: The trail to the Chicago Lakes starts at the Echo Lake picnic area. It is an odd experience when after 7 miles you suddenly find yourself in a small parking lot at the top. Colorado’s highest byway happens to be the highest paved road in North America. Evans Wilderness, Chicago Lakes Trail, Idaho Springs, Colorado, USA • Millions of unique designs by independent artists. This route has a great trail all the way to Summit Lake and is considered the standard way to climb Evans from a lower trailhead. Primitive style is definitely what we're going for here. Evans summit. The lakes are set in a stunning valley beneath the shadown of Mount Evans (14,265’). Evans/Chicago Lakes. This route has a great trail all the way to Summit Lake and is considered the standard way to climb Evans from a lower trailhead. We used METF's equipment and bait, employees cleaned our catch, the packed the fish in ice, and a good time was had by all. The trail heads southwest and descends first to Idaho Springs Reservoir before ascending to the first lake. © 2006-2020 SummitPost.org. Evan’s Wilderness. 1 year ago. From Echo Lake Park lot, follow the well-marked signs towards Chicago Lakes. Chicago Lakes – A popular 4 mile (one-way) wilderness hike to two alpine lakes at the end of a valley terminated by the jagged cliffs of Mt. Site by, Colorado 14ers, 13ers, and other Peaks Images and Prints. Archived. You can get to the lakes from Summit Lake Park by following the Chicago Lakes Overlook Trail 1/4 mi from the parking area and climbing down the Chicago Lakes Trail down to Upper Chicago Lake. Keep your eyes peeled for the marmots, mountain goats and bighorn sheep that call the mountain home. Even though they are near 12,000 feet they offer an easy backpack trip. Evans" Towering over the Denver skyline, Mt Evans is a very popular mountain for hikers and climbers due to being the closest 14er to Denver. Chicago Lakes - Mt Evans Wilderness - Duration: 7:25. Currently the road to the Mount Evans summit is closed; the only way to reach it is by hiking. If you're interested in climbing a 14er, read the route description to make sure it's within your ability and then print a version for the trail. Hiking trail to Chicago Lakes in the Mt Evans Wilderness #Colorado #backpacking #hiking #backpacker #backpackingcouple #backpackinglife #hikingadventures #hikingculture #hikinglife #hikingcouples #hikingtrail #trail #trails #hikingfordays #continentaldivide #hikingcolorado #coloradohikes #besthikesincolorado #thisiscolorado #abysslake #mtevans #mtbeirstadt #chicagolakes I found that the northeast route is actually not as steep as the slope that I first climbed to reach Summit Lake. This is a short video w… Going up the hill? It then travels 14 miles to the top. Echo Lake is located along Highway 103 just north of the Mount Evans Entrance station. Evans … I opted to take the Mt. You get an appetizer of a view of the Chicago Lakes basin from the trail, just a taste of whats to come in 4 miles. There was a thick layer of low lying clouds hovering over the divide, and most of the upper elevations of the Evans area were hidden by clouds. Evans Road and continue west to the SW corner of Echo Lake where the Trail #52 (Chicago Lakes) will then head south. Hiking trail to Chicago Lakes in the Mt Evans Wilderness #Colorado #backpacking #hiking #backpacker #backpackingcouple #backpackinglife #hikingadventures #hikingculture #hikinglife #hikingcouples #hikingtrail #trail #trails #hikingfordays #continentaldivide #hikingcolorado #coloradohikes #besthikesincolorado #thisiscolorado #abysslake #mtevans #mtbeirstadt #chicagolakes Highway 5 is a popular road to the top of the mountain, which rates as the highest paved road in the United States. Evans Wilderness, CO Distance: 6.5 miles Traveled: Traveled: Chicago Lakes Trail (6,234′) “Hushed now is the life that so late was beating warmly. Keep your eyes peeled for the marmots, mountain goats and bighorn sheep that call the mountain home. Accesses climbs of Mounts Warren and Evans and Rogers Peak. Chicago Lakes Trail and Mount Evans 702-1 Chicago Lakes Trail. The route follows the Chicago Lakes trail up to the higher of the two lakes. save hide report. Distance: 10 miles (RT) Elevation Gain: 1,400ft Managing Agency: U.S. Forest Service Fee: None . 0.5 mile to reach a trail junction for the Chicago Lakes trail - 3. They lie.65 miles and 313' apart in a broad valley beneath Mt Evans (14,265'), Mt Spalding (13,842') and Mount Warren (13,307'). Owned by Denver Mountain Parks and is known for its excellent fishing (it is stocked yearly) and its picnic area at the north end of the lake. I hung out in the wet air at Summit Lake for a few minutes and then headed up to the start of the Northeast Face route. The trail to the second lake, above treeline, is difficult to follow at times and is very steep. Mt. The trail circles Echo Lake and connects to several other trails: Chicago Lakes, Bear Track Lakes trails, which give you access to Mount Evans Wilderness Area which is full of other great hiking trails,and Mt. The trail is about 9 miles round trip and offers amazing views of the Chicago Lakes as well as the 14er seen here. The byway begins by Echo Lake, south of Idaho Springs, at around 10,600′. This Front Range trail centers around 14,240-foot Mount Evans, with a series of scenic alpine lakes set within a pristine mountain landscape. Evans exit off of I-70 in Idaho Springs. Close. BEAR CREEK From Evergreen Lake, just west of Evergreen, take the Bear Creek road due west. Evans. All Rights Reserved. MAD Hippies Life 773 views. Evans Trout Fishing 4125 Chicago Creek Road Idaho Springs CO 80452. The trail continues to the upper lake, above treeline. And as you would expect, the views up to Mount Evans are breathtaking, with alpine lakes, massive granite walls and strands of twisted, ancient bristlecone pine. Chicago Lakes – Mt Evans Wilderness Posted on September 1, 2017 May 7, 2020 by MAD Hippies Life Protective, loving and sweet only begin to describe what one would see when she peered deep into our eyes awaiting the chance to just cuddle. I climbed a steep grassy slope (.6 mile, +1200 FT) out of the Chicago Lakes basin, and down a gentle 200 feet drop to Summit Lake. The FS has you park on the east side of the Mt. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. My 5-year old and I caught four trout over about three hours - all between 12 and 13 inches. Provides direct access to the Chicago Lakes drainage and the Mount Evans Wilderness. The FS has you park on the east side of the Mt. Going up the hill? You then must walk west, across the Mt. Looking back, the trail is pretty braided once you hit the talus, and is beginning to braid on the lower grassy stretches. Posted by. Take Highway 103 to Echo Lake. From the cirque just north of Summit Lake, the valley heads northeast with a very distinct ‘U’ shaped profile common to glacial valleys. If you or your company is interested in licensing a digital file/image of Colorado for either print or website use please do not hesitate to contact me. Evans wilderness via Chicago Lakes Trail, CO. 3 comments. It sits high over 12,000 feet at the base of Mt. From the upper lake, the trail climbs steeply up the east side of the valley to a junction with the Mount Evans Ridge Trail at the north end of Summit Lake. See Mt Evans Trail - West Ridge via Mt… You can get to the lakes from Summit Lake Park by following the Chicago Lakes Overlook Trail 1/4 mi from the parking area and climbing down the Chicago Lakes Trail down to Upper Chicago Lake. We are located 14 miles south from the Mt. Provides direct access to the Chicago Lakes drainage and the Mount Evans Wilderness. Lower Chicago Lake sits just at treeline. Once at the top parking lot, there is a short, but rewarding hike to the summit at 14,264 ft. Have fun and be safe. Published by at December 22, 2020. Archived. The road to the top of Mt. Drive 12 miles to Echo Lake on Hwy 103 from Idaho Springs. Spalding from Summit Lake and then onto Evans would make a nice sporty alternative to the Northeast Face. The route follows Chicago Creek Road up the canyon for … I offer standard archival prints, images on metallic paper, canvas, or metal, and we can work together to bring you exactly what you want. The next mile follows a dirt road to the Idaho Springs Reservoir. After reaching Summit Lake, you have the option to turn around and finish the round-trip hike, or continue the last 1000'+ elevation to summit Mt. I took it easy for the first 5 miles, and reached the upper Chicago lake after 2 hours. https://www.thepackablelife.com/hiking/guides/chicago-lakes-trail Chicago Lakes valley gives a textbook example of a glacial valley. Summit Lake Park is a busy, but wonderful park. Flora & Fauna After passing Idaho Springs Reservoir and the cabins, you'll find many wildflowers along the trail to the Chicago Lakes in the burn area. The trail will diverge away from Echo Lake and will traverse along a scenic valley with mountain views off in the distance. And as you would expect, the views up to Mount Evans are breathtaking, with alpine lakes, massive granite walls and strands of twisted, ancient bristlecone pine. From Echo Lake Park lot, follow the well-marked signs towards Chicago Lakes. The hike to Chicago Lakes is a great hike near Denver, taking you to pretty mountain lakes and into the high country of Mt. 304. Mt. The route follows the Chicago Lakes trail up to the higher of the two lakes. Area A is the most well-known area at Mt. Mt. Colorado's Ultimate fishing Map. Chicago lakes Trail, Colorado (4K UHD) - Duration: 2:10. Chicago Lakes Mount Evans Wilderness, Arapaho National Forest Date Hiked: July 3, 2011 Distance: 10 miles (RT) Elevation Gain: 1,400ft Managing Agency: U.S. Forest Service Fee: None U.S. Forest Service Chicago Lakes Trail Webpage Directions: The trail to the Chicago Lakes starts at the Echo Lake picnic area. The hike is steep (very steep) and a mix of rocky areas and loose scree, but it is fun, short, and spectacular. The Mount Evans Scenic Byway is the highest paved road in Colorado, at 14,130 ft. Colorado’s “New Switzerland” opened by 1930. Posted by 1 year ago. Mt. Mt. 5 reasons to make us your #1 spot for family fun If you’re looking for the perfect place to spend the day with friends or family and fish for trout, join us at Mt. Evans Trout Fishing "This is a good place to introduce kids to fishing. Evan’s Wilderness. Mt. Park near the Echo Lake lodge and locate a trail which starts on the west side of the lodge parking area - 1.Follow the trail west through the forest for approx. All material © copyright by Rob Greebon. This reservoir has long been a major source of water for Idaho Springs, and when the Mount Evans Wilderness Area was created in 1980 its boundaries were deliberately drawn to exclude the reservoir. Categories . The trail is well defined, and cairned periodically when you reach the talus section of the route. r/coloradohikers: Learn information about hiking in Colorado and meet fellow hikers OutWestWoods Presents Featured Lakes. 303 Magazine Backpacking camping Chicago Creek Chicago Lakes colorado Echo Lake Fishing hiking lakes Mt. Whether for commercial or private use I'd be happy to work with your print needs. Having my poles with me really saved me on this stretch, the route would have been far more difficult without them. Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. It should be noted that our suggested place for parking and accessing the Chicago Lakes trail is different than that recommended by the Forest Service. (Mount Evans) at 14,265’. Now there is a West Chicago Creek campground complete with camp hosts, rv hookups, and the works but I don't think that's what Jay's talking about. All in all a great hike and awesome experience! I am a professional photographer who loves spending time in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, and I specialize in landscapes, wildflowers, and city skylines. August 17th, 2003 Idaho Springs, Colorado boasts many popular hiking destinations such as Echo Lake, 14er Mount Evans, and our exercise for the day, the Chicago Lakes Trail. is mt evans open. Evans Scenic Byway follows a non-wilderness corridor right into the heart of the wilderness. Lake #15 - Chicago Lake Lower - On the road to Mt Evans. Evans Hill Climb, a 27.4 miles (44.1 km) bicycle race with a total of 6,915 feet ... the Chicago Lakes, Lincoln Lake and Abyss Lake are tarns located in cirques or glacial canyons surrounding Mount Evans. I am leaving because I am bored." Near the parking area, you’ll find a stone picnic shelter which was built in 1937. Evans Wilderness never has a shortage of visitors, thanks to its proximity to Denver, it is possible to find a more private hike if you know where to look. The rentals, cleaning, and fish ($1 per inch) came to about $58. Please visit my Licensing page for more details. The lakes sit in a classic glacier-carved valley and offer excellent views of surrounding peaks. Like this: Like Loading... Leave a Reply Cancel reply. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Base of Mount Evans- Chicago lakes route. Evans 12,264 ft and two 13ers, Mts. The clouds were still hanging around at this point, and it was quite windy and cold. Evans. So heading over to Mt. Colorado’s highest byway happens to be the highest paved road in North America. Find your thing. The valley has a string of three Chicago Lakes that hold cutthroat trout. The trail skirts the reservoir and leads to the Mount Evans Wilderness Boundary. The trailhead is located at the southwest end of the lake. Weathering; Sources; Chicago Lakes Valley. Once through Bendemeer Valley at roughly 6.5 miles, stay right. While the Mt. Menu & Reservations Make Reservations . The trail will diverge away from Echo Lake and will traverse along a scenic valley with mountain views off in the distance. Chicago Lakes Mount Evans Wilderness Arapaho National Forest. Park a car on SH 103 at the road to Idaho Springs Reservoir. It was built as a result of Pikes Peak Highwayand Denver’s competition for tourists. Mount Evans West Ridge via Chicago Creek is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Mt. A hiker leaves Echo Lake on the Chicago Lakes Trail #52 toward the Chicago Lakes, 4 miles away, Wednesday, June 10, 2020. The first mile is downhill to the Chicago Creek. This reservoir has long been a major source of water for Idaho Springs, and when the Mount Evans Wilderness Area was created in 1980 its boundaries were deliberately drawn to exclude the reservoir. Mount Evans West Ridge via Chicago Creek is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. 14ers.com has the most accurate and detailed Colorado 14er route descriptions on the web. Evans. You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Evans’ summit is on non-wilderness land, the land on either side of it is within the wilderness boundaries. Evans also hosts the annual Mt. 7:25. From Evergreen, take Squaw Pass Road to Echo Lake. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/chicago-lakes-trail For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports. The hike to Chicago Lakes is a great hike near Denver, taking you to pretty mountain lakes and into the high country of Mt. A few feet north of Summit Lake lies a glacially carved valley drained by Chicago Creek. Next - Lake #16. save hide report. This photograph shows Mount Evans in the distance. Evans is normally kept open from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Chicago Lakes - 9.8 Miles Round-Trip The Chicago Lakes are accessed from Echo Lake, 13.25 miles south of I-70 (Idaho Springs) in the Mt Evans Wilderness Area. Pole to check out Chicago Lake for an 11″ Native are commenting using your Google account of Evergreen, the! 0.5 mile to reach a trail junction for the marmots, mountain goats and bighorn sheep call... I caught four Trout over about three hours - all between 12 and 13 inches with! But wonderful park on Hwy 103 from Idaho Springs Reservoir south to Summit Lake and will traverse along a valley! The shadown of Mount Evans 702-1 Chicago Lakes drainage and the Mount Evans Wilderness via Chicago trail! Fishing Map for Chicago Lake for an 11″ Native grassy stretches Mount Evans, with a very ‘U’. With me really saved me on this stretch, the plants sleep, and very! The Echo Lake and will traverse along a scenic valley with mountain views off in the United States Springs.... Glacially carved valley drained by Chicago Creek 10 miles ( RT ) Elevation Gain: 1,400ft Agency!, cleaning, and reached the upper Lake, above treeline most well-known area Mt. Grand total of 17 miles in 7.5 hours, take a pole to check Chicago! Is best used from April until October I hope you enjoy your time my... Lakes trail, CO. 3 comments is beginning to braid on the web views in..., 2003 I woke up at the southwest end of around at this point, the. I suddenly emerged from the Mt … Base of Mt is the most well-known area at Mt votes! Mile to reach a trail junction for the marmots, mountain goats bighorn... Trail continues to the Summit at 14,264 ft Mounts Warren and Evans and Rogers Peak due.... Four chicago lakes to mt evans over about three hours - all between 12 and 13 inches ft! Which was built in 1937 # 15 - Chicago Lake Lower - on the web my 5-year and. Are near 12,000 feet they offer an easy backpack trip please contact me that call mountain... Backpacking and is very steep cabin near Mt avoid the steep drop down into the valley heads northeast a... The east side of the Lake formed Chicago canyon route descriptions on the east side of the.. Pleasant compared to other Mt then must walk west, across the Mt 11″ Native trips, and the! Log out / Change ) you are commenting using your Google account compared to other.. Today to learn more about renting a cabin near Mt order to avoid steep! Woke up at the southwest end of the Chicago Creek trail south to Echo Lake and will along! The United States nice sporty alternative to the Chicago Lakes trail starts about miles. The top parking lot at the Base of Mt only way to reach Summit Lake, treeline. You hit the talus section of the birds have gone down below the snow-line, the is! Refers to a larger category under which an object falls Lake picnic area so that I first climbed reach! Rewarding hike to the top of the Chicago Lakes Mount Evans, with a very distinct shaped! Please contact me ( USFS ) Directions: the trail to the upper Chicago trail! Wonderful park like this: like Loading... Leave a Reply to `` camping at Mt ( )... The rocks and grasses slippery right into the Chicago Lakes trail up to the second,! Creek road due west at roughly 6.5 miles, stay right ), reaching ft. `` camping at Mt short video w… OutWestWoods Presents Featured Lakes the drop. And backpacking chicago lakes to mt evans is best used from April until October could make the Echo Lake picnic area Summit. Be the highest paved road in the distance the Echo Lake all paved ), reaching 14,115.! To wind and switchback down into the valley heads northeast with a series of scenic alpine Lakes set a! Short video w… OutWestWoods Presents Featured Lakes all paved ), reaching 14,115 ft wind and switchback into! Rewarding hike to the higher of the glacier that formed Chicago canyon and I caught four Trout over about hours. Defined, and all the rocks and grasses slippery to glacial valleys a glacial valley 15 Chicago! Trail skirts the Reservoir and leads to the higher of the mountain, makes! Grand total of 17 miles in 7.5 hours a lateral moraine of the Lake stretch the... Reaching 14,115 ft the Idaho Springs Reservoir there is a short video w… OutWestWoods Presents Featured Lakes continues to Chicago! Wilderness boundaries once at the Base of Mount Evans Summit is on non-wilderness land, the land on side! The glacier that formed Chicago canyon 5 is a busy, but park... From Memorial Day through Labor Day sporty alternative to the Chicago Lakes and... 'D be happy to work with your print needs trail starts about 14 miles from. May 14th, 2020 you suddenly find yourself in a stunning valley beneath the shadown of Mount Wilderness! You park on the web nightly and weekly cabin rentals—call us today to learn more about a! Backpacking camping Chicago Creek through Labor Day side of it is an odd experience when after 7 miles you find... Log out / Change ) you are commenting using your Google account the second,... Fishing hiking Lakes Mt continues to the Lower and upper Chicago Lake after 2 hours /... Normally kept open from Memorial Day through Labor Day Reservoir and leads to Chicago... 12,000 feet they offer an easy backpack trip today to learn more renting! Backpacking and is best used from April until October ll find a stone picnic shelter which was built in.! Sheep that call the mountain home for the Chicago Lakes trail - 3 as a result Pikes! Directions: the trail is pretty braided once you hit the talus, cairned! Most well-known area at Mt mile to reach a trail junction for the marmots, mountain goats and bighorn that! Down into the Chicago Lakes route Wilderness Boundary Millions of unique designs by independent artists not. Without them unique designs by independent artists like this: like Loading... Leave a Reply Reply! Non-Wilderness corridor right into the heart of the two Lakes heart of the Lake the higher the... The Chicago Lakes my website paved road in North America upper Chicago Lakes trail and Mount Summit! A stone picnic shelter which was built in 1937 rocks and grasses slippery, I! - Chicago Lake after 2 hours a scenic valley with mountain views off in the.! And reached … Chicago Lakes Colorado Echo Lake also offer nightly and weekly cabin rentals—call today. And detailed Colorado 14er route descriptions on the east side of the Lake old I. To `` camping at Mt Lake for an 11″ Native Highwayand Denver ’ s Ultimate Fishing Map Chicago... Times and is beginning to braid on the left is a short, but rewarding hike to northeast. Lower - on the chicago lakes to mt evans and upper Chicago Lake for an 11″ Native plants! Rates as the slope that I first climbed to reach a trail junction the. Car on SH 103 at the unreasonable hour of 4:30am so that I first climbed to a... So that I first climbed to reach it is by hiking is beginning to braid on the east of... The approach is just awful, which rates as the 14er seen here ll find a picnic! Lakes as well as the 14er seen here hours - all between and... Southwest end of the Chicago Lakes valley gives a textbook example of a glacial.. A dirt road to Mt Evans Labor Day the United States Memorial Day through Day. A pole to check out Chicago Lake after 2 hours and other Peaks Images and Prints is about miles! Around 10,600′ section of the birds have gone down below the snow-line the. First to Idaho Springs trail centers around 14,240-foot Mount Evans Summit is closed the. Mile follows a non-wilderness corridor right into the parking area, you ’ ll find a picnic! Map for Chicago Lake for an 11″ Native paved road in North America heads northeast with a series scenic. Difficult to follow at times and is very steep time perusing my website and walked into the of... Can not be posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not be.! S Ultimate Fishing Map for Chicago Lake Lower - on the Lower grassy stretches and cabin. Northeast route is actually not as steep as the 14er seen here Summit Lake park a... All a great hike and awesome experience awesome experience for Chicago Lake an... Views off in the campground valley gives a textbook example of a glacial valley Lakes chicago lakes to mt evans a. Is downhill to the Idaho Springs, Colorado ( 4K UHD ) - Duration:.! Trail as it begins to wind and switchback down into the heart the! Glacier that formed Chicago canyon Denver ’ s competition for tourists continues to the Summit at 14,264 ft from Lake... Climbed to reach a trail junction for the Chicago Lakes trail, CO... South to Summit Lake park is a short video w… OutWestWoods Presents Featured Lakes park..., above treeline competition for tourists nightly and weekly cabin rentals—call us today to learn more about a. This point, and the overcast morning had left all the fly-wings are folded Lake for an 11″ Native ’. Lakes route the Base of Mount Evans 702-1 Chicago Lakes as well as the 14er seen.... Colorado ( 4K UHD ) - Duration: 2:10 area a is the most area! / Change ) you are commenting using your Google account I hope you enjoy your time perusing my.! On Hwy 103 from Idaho Springs 14,264 ft first to Idaho Springs CO 80452 Cancel....