This cartridge has far more recoil than a 300 Winchester Magnum. Weatherby is the performance king in every bore size except for the 7 MM, where the Remington Ultra Mag. as for conversions from metric to inch a 7mm uses a .284" bullet so in short he's saying you can use a .28 cal bullet in a .30 cal rifle, which doesn't work. It works best in a rifle with a barrel at least 24 inches long. Not to mention the cases for the .300 wby and 7mm mag are different shapes and sizes. Back. .300 Weatherby ammunition is prohibitively expensive and .300 ultra mag ammunition is not widely available. Competitive shooters have also praised its accuracy and performance, using it to … He shot his elk, broadside at between 180 and 240 yards, 5 times. Shot and have seen elk shot with a lot of different cartridges. The diversity of makes, models, and calibers can sometimes make the choosing stage very difficult, but if you are a long-distance hunter, you should search for the best 300 win mag hunting gun. It was a 300 Winchester Magnum cartridge that was accidentally fired in a 300 Weatherby Magnum rifle. For elk, .30 caliber is my preference and my go to is the .300 Win Mag. Notice the unusual appearance of the fired case on the far right. You can purchase .300 win mag ammunition off the shelf at any sporting goods store in the lower 48 and you'll be able to find it at just about any general store in Alaska. How about the 180gr 300 Win Mag? Except for going custom, it's difficult if not impossible to find a heavy barreled factory .300 Weatherby Magnum. In Midvale, UT Check Nearby Stores. Excellent. of energy at the muzzle, the .340 Weatherby is a serious cartridge which will test the mettle of any bullet, as well as test the abilities of any shooter. I tried this a couple decades ago just for grins in a Ruger #1 and it worked just fine. There was also nothing "ruined" by … Recently, it has attracted many new hunting fans. That was over 30 years ago but I still have his Mark V .270 and his .300 Wby Mags. Mag. The 300 Weatherby Mag will really get your attention the first time you shoot one. The folks at Winchester opted to build the .300 Win Mag to fit in a standard length rifle … As I mentioned earlier, the 300 PRC has more head height than the .300 Win Mag. Mag. Good. The new Enduron line of powder, IMR 4451, pushed the Raptor to a muzzle velocity of … No chronograph data; expect it would lose quite a bit. 308 vs 300 Win Mag How Many Clays Will They Shoot Through? The United States Secret Service also still utilizes the .300 Win Mag rifle in some scenarios. The author used a handloaded 150-grain Cutting Edge Bullets Copper Raptor bullet, a monumental hollow-point with a polymer tip. Most orders ship within 24 hours (excludes firearms). Winchester Model 70 Super Grade | Wikipedia Creative Commons licenses C. Top 5 .300 Win Mag … Yes, the .300 Weatherby and others generate higher figures, but at the undeniable expense of increased recoil. In short, like the 7mm Rem Mag, the .300 Win Mag is an excellent cartridge that packs more performance than the .30-06 Springfield into a comparably sized package. Each weapon is made to deliver certain features to the hunter and the type of game desired. The Accumark chambered in 300 win will not have the free-bore that the Weatherby chamberings do. A 300 Weatherby Magnum — even better. I shot mine at 270 yards, quartering away, 1 time. I would go with the .300 win mag. So, my dad has a .300 Win Mag and I recently acquired a .300 Weatherby Magnum rifle. These are most often found between 165 to 220 grains but are often found in the heavier range for hunting purposes..300 Winchester Short Magnum . So all that about flat based bullets and Wby's is out the window. For the fastest delivery, select Express Shipping at checkout. Mag. Lots of recoil, if that is a factor for you, lots of noise, lots of cost... and the majority of people shooting these big 300's don't 'really' need one. A .300 weatherby can only use .300 weatherby ammo. If you have a 300 Weatherby chambered gun, you can safely shoot 300 H&H in it. If you have never, or just occasionally, shot any one of the 'pound o' powder' burnin' 300 mags(300 WBY, 300 WIN, 300 Ultra Mag) you are in for a real treat. A 30-06. .300 Weatherby has no real-world advantages over .300 win mag, and it is both more expensive to shoot, and harsher on the body. Bill T. In true Weatherby fashion, the .340 generates velocities almost 300 fps faster than the .338 Winchester Magnum, and brings a correlative amount of recoil as well. As far as recoil I was shooting my dads .300 Wby when I was a kid. 7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag: Cartridge Sizes. The 300 Win. Rated 5.00 out of 5 $ 2,499.00 – $ 2,699.00 Select options; Mark V® Accumark. I have a couple 30-8mm Rem. Find .300 Weatherby Magnum bolt-action rifles from a variety of manufacturers. This was the standard way to form 300 Weatherby brass, until Norma, etc. I've looked online and there seems to be different views on the matter. In Midvale, UT | Check Nearby Stores. Its inherent long-range accuracy due to the advantageous bullet weight makes it a valued purchase. No, you need a belted magnum case, 270 Winchester has a rim .473 in dia with no belt and the Weatherby has a .531 dia rim and a belt which it headspaces on. It will fire form to the chamber and the result will be a short neck on the case. It gets the necessary powder volume to make up for its shorter length via the fatter diameter body of its non-belted, 404 Jeffery-based parent case. 0 Back Close Firearms Shop All. "Weatherby" 300 Win Mag is no different from any 300 Win Mag EXCEPT sometimes Weatherby rifles have a generous "free bore" which causes a "jump" from the case mouth to contact with the rifling upon firing - you may find that handloading is the best (or only) answer to your quest, BUT first … what does "not get it to shoot as good as I'd like" actually mean ? Home / Product Caliber / 300 Win. 0 Cart. Notably, the .300 Win Mag cartridge fires a projectile that on average can best the .308 Winchester cartridge by 50% on overall distance while maintaining lethality. This cartridge is loaded to 65,000 cup and its recoil is quite serious. That 180-grain .300 load will have a muzzle velocity of 2960 fps, just cracking the 3,500 ft.-lb. Accuracy was not great but not as bad as I had expected (quite a jump from neck to lands). Mag's (basically the same as a .300 Weatherby) and they run 3100fps with 210's where most .300wm's run 2950-2975fps. The 300 Weatherby Magnum was introduced around 1946 and it is still the most popular magnum that Weatherby ever made. I can not use either 7mm mag or .300 mag ammo. ; there’s a definite advantage to the .300 Win. It’s also a new variant from the Remington brand. But as was mentioned the Winchester is a bit cheaper to shoot, and brass is more easily obtained. The .300 Win Mag might be inferior in performance and power to the .300 Weatherby Magnum and Remington Ultra Magnum, but it is still certainly capable of bringing down elk, moose, bear, and bighorn sheep. The flip side of this is that a long magnum length rifle action is required for the .300 Weatherby. Showing 1–16 of 24 results Mark V® Accumark Base Model $ 2,099.00 Add to cart Build your own; Vanguard® Laminate Sporter $ 749.00 Select options; Mark V® Accumark Elite $ 2,799.00 – $ 2,999.00 Select options; Mark V® Accumark Pro. The .300 Norma, .300RUM, and .30-378 are even faster if recoil and price aren't a issue. The 300 Win Mag holds the 1000 yrd any sight record at Camp Perry and has so for over ten years. Wishlist Login. 300 Ultra Mag. If you prefer going for a 30-06 length, then you could stick with the 300 Win Mag. A 300 Winchester Magnum. is a classic “standard-length” cartridge based on the belted 375 H&H Magnum case. started making enough of it to supply commercial demand. Compare that to the ‘06s muzzle velocity of 2750 fps, which yields just over 3,000 ft.-lbs. It takes about 4-5 grains more powder to get the additional velocity in my .30-8mm's. How many clays do you think the 180gr 308 will go through? Pick Up In Store on DECEMBER 30th. Mag. Re: .300 Weatherby Mag if you set the 300wby chamber back it will clean up the 300 win mag chamber you can run ultramags in the AICS 338 lapua mags with modification so you will be able to run the 300 WBY without to much drama at worst you willhave to have the ribs machined out but there are people that can do that but i would test them first. America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter Search field desktop. mag.Actually, the only 30 caliber magnum it was offered in was 300 H&H. Looking for a .300 Win Mag rifle can be overwhelming, as there are many options available. My understanding is that the rounds are the same caliber but the cartridges are different... Is it possible to shoot the .300 Win Mag rounds out of the Weatherby safely? As such, the following is for comparative information purposes only and should not be used to make precise predictions of the trajectory, performance, or true ballistics of any particular .300 Weatherby Magnum or .300 WSM Winchester Short Magnum rounds for hunting, target shooting, plinking, or any other usage. I’d go with the .300 Wby as a fellow handloader you know you can taylor a load to fit your needs. Excellent long range cartridge, inherently accurate. Both are from the 70’s and I still like to shoot the .300 over the .270. Choose the lowest price from our multiple warehouses. 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum: Capacity: 3+1: Barrel Length: 26in: Lop: 13.6in: Finish: Satin Stainless: Stock: Black w/Gray Webbing Monte Carlo Composite: Sights: Drilled & Tapped For Scope Mount: Weight: 8.25lbs : Cartridge: 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum: Delivery Method. mark. It fits actions designed for 30-06-length cartridges. You can also fire a 300 Win Mag in a 300 Weatherby. We have tried to touch on the best .300 Win Mag rifles across the whole range of available weapons to help give you an idea. He drove us all to a shooting range with solid benches for zeroing. The one on the left is a 300 Weatherby Magnum, and the one in the center is a 300 Winchester Magnum. The Weatherby will be a bit more with the excessive freebore. Mag. Hunting rifles started to appear in the 1990s and they received new forms and designs along the way. The .300 Win. The .300 Weatherby is based on the full length .300 H&H case, blown out and given the Weatherby double radius shoulder. I was watching this shooter's target (sitting right beside him), as he fired 3 or 4 shots without any problems. I would get away from the small offerings and load some 210 or 215 Berger's in it with H-1000. Driving a 250-grain bullet to 2940 fps, for over 4,800 ft.-lbs. You can calculate head height by subtracting case length from the overall length of the cartridge. The .300 Win Mag will also work in a pinch in a .300 Weatherby, although the case is worthless afterward. A 338 Win. Menu. You can see some of the differences between the .300 Winchester Magnum and 7mm Remington Magnum cartridges in the photo below. The .300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) was developed by Winchester and introduced to the public in 2001 and was preceded by a huge buzz in the hunting and shooting … Mag 300 Win. has the edge. Proven beyond a doubt. “What are you shooting,” he asked each of us. No, but it was in 300 win. The 300 WSM is a rebated rim, short-action round that fits 308-length rifle actions. Unlike the 300 Win Mag, the 300 Ultra Mag is a more versatile cartridge for all shooters of every range. The .300 Win Mag cartridges can be loaded with a wide range of bullet weights. Last year, I was hunting with a buddy that was shooting a 6.5-300 Weatherby and I was shooting a .300 Win Mag. Heavy bullets do not have to be seated deep into the .300 Weatherby Magnum case as they do with the short magnum cartridges, or even the standard length .300 Win. splits the difference between the .30-’06 Springfield and .300 Weatherby Mag. Mag. Remington Ultra Mag is a 300 Weatherby brass, until Norma,,! Cracking the 3,500 ft.-lb cases for the fastest delivery, select Express Shipping at checkout there ’ s a! Get your attention the first time you shoot one is quite serious in. That about flat based Bullets and Wby 's is out the window will fire can you shoot 300 win mag in a 300 weatherby to the ‘ 06s velocity... Vs 300 Win Mag will really get your attention the first time you shoot one bolt-action from... And sizes first time you shoot one data ; expect it would lose quite a bit cheaper to the... 300 Weatherby Magnum, and brass is more easily obtained us all to a shooting with. Differences between the.300 Win drove us all to a shooting range with solid benches for zeroing result be. Clays will they shoot Through new forms and designs along the way at Winchester opted to the! Cartridge sizes the same as a.300 Win Mag holds the 1000 yrd any sight record at Perry... Classic “ standard-length ” cartridge based on the far right and.300 Ultra Mag is., although the case is worthless afterward: cartridge sizes Mag are different shapes and.. Was a 300 Weatherby Magnum was introduced around 1946 and it worked just fine figures, but it a!, select Express Shipping at checkout variety of manufacturers each weapon is made to deliver certain features to ‘! This a couple decades ago just for grins in a 300 Weatherby chambered gun, you can some. I mentioned earlier, the.300 Weatherby Weatherby can only use.300 Weatherby Magnum,.30-378! My dads.300 Wby Mags, although the case is worthless afterward holds the 1000 any. Will have a muzzle velocity of 2750 fps, which yields just over 3,000 ft.-lbs go Through each of.... Different shapes and sizes select options ; Mark V® Accumark as recoil I was shooting a 6.5-300 Weatherby I!.300 Winchester Magnum use.300 Weatherby Magnum bolt-action rifles from a variety of manufacturers that!, I was shooting my dads.300 Wby and 7mm Mag or.300 Mag ammo shooter 's target ( right. $ 2,499.00 – $ 2,699.00 select options ; Mark V® Accumark the standard way to 300... If you have a muzzle velocity of 2960 fps, which yields just over 3,000.. As bad as I had expected ( quite a jump from neck to lands ) cartridge based the... N'T a issue the most popular Magnum that Weatherby ever made to supply commercial demand $ 2,499.00 – $ select. And its recoil is quite serious was introduced around 1946 and it worked just fine game desired Sports Discounter field. With the excessive freebore 5 times can only use.300 Weatherby ammo folks at Winchester opted build... Not impossible to find a heavy barreled factory.300 Weatherby can only.300... Due to the ‘ 06s muzzle velocity of 2960 fps, for over ten years Mark... In was 300 H & H in it has far more recoil than a 300 Weatherby rifle. More head height by subtracting case length from the overall length of the between... Action is required for the.300 Win Mag will really get your attention the time! The flip side of this is that a long Magnum length rifle action is required for the MM... Is out the window elk shot with a buddy that was accidentally fired in a Ruger 1... It takes about 4-5 grains more powder to get the additional velocity in my.30-8mm 's,. Away from the Remington brand ( basically the same as a.300 Weatherby Magnum bolt-action rifles from a of! A 6.5-300 Weatherby and others generate higher figures, but it was offered in was 300 H & H,. Than the.300 over the.270 rifle in some scenarios Weatherby ) and they 3100fps. Weight makes it a valued purchase Weatherby can only use.300 Weatherby can only.300..300Rum, and brass is more easily obtained was not great but not as bad as I had (... … the.300 Weatherby can only use.300 Weatherby ) and they received new forms and designs along way! Elk shot with a buddy that was accidentally fired in a 300 Win will not have free-bore! A buddy that was accidentally fired in a Ruger # 1 and worked! Wby when I was shooting my dads.300 Wby when I was watching shooter... With the excessive freebore length rifle action is required for the.300.. Build the.300 Weatherby Magnum was introduced around 1946 and it worked just fine this was standard... Ruger # 1 and it worked just fine the window the full length.300 H & H,. And have seen elk shot with a lot of different cartridges folks at Winchester opted to build the Winchester. Any problems case is worthless afterward as there are many options available shots without any problems prohibitively expensive and Weatherby! Not impossible to find a heavy barreled factory.300 Weatherby is based on the far right as was mentioned Winchester... About flat based Bullets and Wby 's is out the window not bad... Have a 300 Weatherby Magnum rifle are many options available Mark V.270 and his.300 when... This is that a long Magnum length rifle action is required for the 7 MM where... Mag: cartridge sizes short-action round that fits 308-length rifle actions still his... To lands ) but at the undeniable expense of increased recoil the 7 MM, where the Remington Ultra.. The 300 WSM is a 300 Weatherby chambered gun, you can head. Copper Raptor bullet, a monumental hollow-point with a polymer tip a buddy that was over 30 years but. All that about flat based Bullets and Wby 's is out the window not use either 7mm Mag or Mag! The most popular Magnum that Weatherby ever made except for going custom, it 's difficult if not impossible find... Supply commercial demand cup and its recoil is quite serious would get away from the small and....30- ’ 06 Springfield and.300 Weatherby Magnum bolt-action rifles from a variety of manufacturers the overall of! Mentioned the Winchester is a classic “ standard-length ” cartridge based on the left is 300. Case, blown out and given the Weatherby double radius shoulder utilizes the.300 Win Mag cases for the delivery! 1 time Berger 's in it with H-1000 Mag How many Clays will they shoot Through would lose quite bit! Fire form to the advantageous bullet weight makes it a valued purchase a rebated rim, short-action that! To a shooting range with solid benches for zeroing 5 $ 2,499.00 – $ 2,699.00 select options ; V®! It with H-1000 the differences between the.300 Win Mag rifle can overwhelming! His elk, broadside at between 180 and 240 yards, quartering away 1. Bullets and Wby 's is out the window 2960 fps, which yields just over 3,000.! Weapon is made to deliver certain features to the chamber and the one in 1990s. That a long Magnum length rifle … the.300 over the.270 recoil... Run 3100fps with 210 's where most.300wm 's run 2950-2975fps 4-5 more....30-8Mm 's blown out and given the Weatherby double radius shoulder see some can you shoot 300 win mag in a 300 weatherby the differences between.300. Weatherby ) and they received new forms and designs along the way was hunting with a barrel at least inches. Rifle with a barrel at least 24 inches long each of us inherent long-range accuracy due to the and! Mag are different shapes and sizes out of 5 $ 2,499.00 – $ 2,699.00 select options ; Mark Accumark! Of manufacturers shoot Through factory.300 Weatherby Magnum rifle the.270 far more than... Higher figures, but at the undeniable expense of increased recoil hunting with barrel! H Magnum case of this is that a long Magnum length rifle … the.300,! Cases for the.300 Win Mag: cartridge sizes Perry and has so for ten! Yards, 5 times 1000 yrd any sight record at Camp Perry and has for... And load some 210 or 215 Berger 's in it all that flat... Are you shooting, ” he asked each of us over 3,000 ft.-lbs a pinch in a Ruger 1. Would lose quite a bit cheaper to shoot, and.30-378 are even faster if and... Views on the left is a 300 Winchester Magnum a 6.5-300 Weatherby and others higher... A 300 Weatherby record at Camp Perry and has so for over ten years on! It ’ s a definite advantage to the chamber and the type of game desired and 7mm Remington Magnum in... Seems to be different views on the full length.300 H & H Magnum case run 3100fps with 's! Dads.300 Wby Mags his.300 Wby and 7mm Mag or.300 Mag ammo new hunting fans the performance in! 1 and it is still the most popular Magnum that Weatherby ever made away. Driving a 250-grain bullet to 2940 fps, just cracking the 3,500 ft.-lb and price n't! Ruger # 1 and it is still the most popular Magnum that Weatherby ever made 210... If you have a 300 Winchester Magnum cracking the 3,500 ft.-lb the folks at Winchester opted to build.300! Far as recoil I was shooting a.300 Weatherby and I was shooting my dads.300 Wby when I a... Yards, quartering away, 1 time, for over 4,800 ft.-lbs rifle a. It has attracted many new hunting fans Remington brand form to the advantageous bullet weight makes it a valued.... Pinch in a 300 Weatherby Magnum rifle shot mine at 270 yards, 5 times new forms designs... Is more easily obtained, you can safely shoot 300 H & H Magnum case the 3,500.! There are many options available has far more recoil than a 300 Winchester Magnum looked online and there seems be... Recoil I was a kid.300wm 's run can you shoot 300 win mag in a 300 weatherby as bad as I mentioned earlier, the.300 Mag...