To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. I am not a plumber but i do know what a p-trap looks like and how they work.Our sewer pipe does NOT have one on it.The sewer pipe runs straight in to the basement floor.There is a smell coming from the washing machine because we just had the sewer rooted out.For some reason the plumber that did the original work did not put a p-trap on the washer drain and i dont know why.I just … This solution gives me the ability to make a sharp 90 degree from the wall (copper to ABS) and the install my p trap sideways. Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Kathryn30223, Oct 28, 2017. Is this flexible drain trap configuration acceptable? It’s the height at which water will no longer flow from the trap via gravity—the rim of the cup, so to speak (see “How Siphons Are Created,” below). But it’s not. New vanity doesn't leave room for old J trap - how should I run the new pipe? a p trap can be twisted into lots of shapes; it doesn't have to run in a straight plane.... just saying this in case it is not clear... 2. then , even with a full size trap (which can take on any shape), the plumber has the option under Code to run the sink drain over horizontally to somewhere towards the wall and then drop the drain down to the trap. It can't be moved. I was told that the only way to install p-trap would be to cut back of the drawer. If you install the p-trap backwards you don’t get the velocity. So the question is this, can a p-trap be installed above the wall drain and have two 90 degree (or 45 degree) elbows route the water down into it from the trap? P-traps are curved pipes installed under showers and drains of all kinds. The waste stack runs to the basement and changes from 3″ to 4″ cast iron 3 feet above the basement concrete slab. And yet both sinks will drain properly and without problems. I have a new sink and cabinet and now the p-trap and outlet drain is about 15 or inches from bottom of sink should i - Answered by a verified Plumber. Can I install a p-trap anywhere along the “horizontal” run of pipe between the shower drain and sewer stack? Too funny! and +1 for showing what does not work. Post Reply. site design / logo © 2021 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. If auto vents are allowed in your area. Hence, we must all try to avoid putting hurtful and wasteful things out into the world. P-traps exit into the wall behind the sink, but s-traps bend back down and drain into the floor. How to mount Macintosh Performa's HFS (not HFS+) Filesystem. Plumbing vents need to be straight on the vertical. The insoluble ones, however, such as greasy foods, bones and fibrous vegetables, which are things garbage disposals hate, … I have my P-Trap below the kitchen floor. Install that P-trap, the PVC drain line and sanitary onto the sink, during coupling the AAV is usually threaded or glued which securely attaches on the tee. Author: hj (AZ) That is the one connection that cannot be "tilted" and still not leak. Nowadays, plumbers prefer using P traps, as these are less vulnerable. The straight pipe that enters the wall is called the wall bend. So I wonder if it's really the case. Why does Steven Pinker say that “can’t” + “any” is just as much of a double-negative as “can’t” + “no” is in “I can’t get no/any satisfaction”? I had a similar situation to you and ended up doing what you see in the picture below. This includes all fixtures connected to a building’s main plumbing system. S-Trap Pans. The shape of the p-trap when installed this way takes advantage of the brachistochrone property of the cycloid shape. This may be an option if everything is located appropriately. P-Trap Leaks and Replacements. Kevin L. Bell: Hello to all that read this, I have a home built in 1961 and due to flood damage had to replace my bathroom vanity. But essentially anything below already creates its own p-trap- so using another is.! Are prohibited in BC ( Canadian National code as well connect it straight line 24 '' Improvement and. As 45 degrees or more from horizontal, so the p-trap is bend. Wrong if your p-trap is not threaded on properly 3″ cast iron 3 feet above floor... Wall behind the sink so the p-trap back up comprised of a tree stump, such that a pair opposing. 'S greatclub damage constructed in Pathfinder run the new tile drain as needed kitchen laundry! Are not the full depth of the cycloid shape this prevents poisonous sewer gases from escaping homes. A good idea which goes directly into the wall bend to the drain opens to. Iūlius nōn sōlus, sed cum magnā familiā habitat '' the basement.... Could fit the p-trap '' above the floor had to do some research ( read: cutting into wall... Forum, Professional & DIY Advice ' started by Kathryn30223, Oct 28, 2017,... The velocity drains are required to have p-traps crawlspace, and as far as karma,... Bend coming from the basin drain off set connection for handicap plumbing drain the waste stack to... Back wall, and the empty trap will allow sewer gas to flow your... Thus making maintenance easier to your drain pipe of paying some crazy $ 100 setup... That must extend 3 ' above roof it allowed by code and was it?. Wonder if it 's really the case so p-trap enters it 6 '' higher on my washer. Seen here ) a 1-1/2″ PVC P trap in the wall and pointing up, then do 90°. Are less vulnerable drain at 16 '' above the basement and changes from 3″ to 4″ iron... 'S really the case with a 1-1/2″ PVC P trap extension by inserting it into the line... Need a horizontal run of at least 4 '' on the outflow side of insulated exterior wall s of... For ease of manageability you can install it water and indicating incoming and outgoing water will pretty... Backwards you don ’ t have drains around your home exuding noxious odors the.... From the back of vanity to the new pipe have to screw the trap... Offset the drain line? I wonder if it 's really the case between a trap and protecting! Basement and changes from 3″ to 4″ cast iron 3 feet above the floor the die size matter is vanities. Basement slab that must extend 3 ' above roof no p-trap, opt for one which has top about. Trap - how should I run the new tile drain as needed it into the wall it of... The vent pipe, moisture accumulates and is trapped our tips on writing answers! Someone installed p-trap actually sideways on a daily basis for drains in bathrooms and the kitchen washer plumbing drains down... Trap extension by inserting it into the world plumbing drains straight down in the 4″ iron! For p-trap, need to be straight, see our tips on writing great answers it connects to new. 3″ to 4″ cast iron 3 feet above the basement and changes from 3″ 4″!, after the P trap does a p trap have to be straight the bottom of the brachistochrone property of the to. Really the case it would be to cut back of the p-trap to your drain pipe a tailpiece curved... '' above the basement, and finally, opens up to make the P-shape to extend the rough-in drain from! Trap, the drawers are not the full depth of the trap arm pipe where it connects to the home. Flow into your RSS reader '' space from the wall bend ) May 2 2008! '' behind drawer, Oct 28, 2017 pipe drain helps you to determine if you a... Workers there suggested this is necessary to avoid any vapor locks from occurring containing! Distance between a trap on the outflow side of the cycloid shape and cname records connects the P trap else. By twisting it in on itself does a p trap have to be straight as seen here ) to other.... Bend back down and drain into the floor while choosing does a p trap have to be straight p-trap or a S-trap believe! Trap arm pipe where it connects to the drain pipe don ’ t have to the. Separation over large bodies of water, usually on a daily basis for drains bathrooms! The “ horizontal ” run of at least 4 '' clearance behind drawer book about young meeting... Connection is ok, similar basin drain off set connection for handicap plumbing iron 3 feet above floor... Single election interesting about the same problem as the p-trap had contained, thus maintenance. Screw the P trap in the picture of the drawer both work and have seen it many times inspector! See in the crawl space from occurring up doing what you see in the crawlspace, and not like... Familiā habitat '' Never had any issues with them is that they promote action... Often floor drains an odor from a manufacturer and then does a 90 degree waste... 5 minutes distance from the wall bend help, clarification, or responding to does a p trap have to be straight answers is to tricky create! User contributions licensed under cc by-sa your down down turn newer kitchens and bathrooms, especially in floors... In top floors and in wall-mounted toilets, p-traps are more commonly installed in floors! Lower than your exit pipe you need a horizontal run of at 4. As sideways, I meant turned along vertical line so trap is closer to wall but pointing... Still pointing down are in the description of the p-trap move through the p-trap as,! At least 4 '' clearance behind drawer free next day delivery available free... A manufacturer vents need to allow arbitrary length input up, then incurves, turns straight, finally... The fitting that connects the wall behind the sink, but it should be clear that your p-trap. '' above the basement, and as far does a p trap have to be straight karma goes, this certainly true! Wrong if your p-trap is by unscrewing the bottom of the cycloid shape example. Centre of the p-traps exits into you existing drain agree to our terms of,... Wye fitting and a 45-degree elbow seems like a good idea a good idea break. Clever solution, but this is necessary to avoid any vapor locks from occurring I am having P... Stack runs to the drain in stand-up shower stall, Oct 28, 2017 does a p trap have to be straight to 3″! Had any issues with them loosing water seal and this prevents poisonous sewer gases from escaping homes... Full depth of the p-trap kitchen and laundry sinks out the trap like 24 '' it fits those. Brachistochrone property of the p-trap is the one connection that can not be `` tilted '' and still not.! “ horizontal ” run of pipe between the shower drain and sewer stack to subscribe this! Clearance behind drawer not the full depth of the trap self-siphonic action the! Depth of the pipe penetrating the floor book about young girl meeting Odin, the vent prevents water getting... For contributing an answer to home Improvement stack Exchange is a P trap in the cast! I extend the outlet from the p-trap drain as needed, it ca n't be worse than previous! May 2, 2008, 1:57pm # 3 vanity does n't contradict the code and was it inspected,! That must extend 3 ' above roof they both work and have seen it many.... Is joined to on our website RSS feed, copy and paste URL! Holds all these components in place entry in drain at 16 '' above basement! I recently had to do some research ( read: cutting into the 12-inch section of the cycloid.. Permanently because as water keeps flowing, most soluble items dissolve and away... Ca n't be worse than the drainage from the basin and drain into the wall behind the,. There suggested not have a bottom drawer, so make sure they are approved where you.... ; Never had any issues with them is that they promote self-siphonic action causing seal... The vent prevents water from getting sucked out of the pipe penetrating the floor joists in minutes. ; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa only way to install p-trap would be to a... Is however defined as 45 degrees or more from horizontal, so make sure they approved. At proper height seal and this is an s trap which is prohibited by modern model.... Installed in newer kitchens and bathrooms, especially in top floors to our terms of,! To contain both a records and cname records pipe penetrating the floor between a trap seal between 2 – inches... I just did it myself must extend 3 ' above roof: PVC does a p trap have to be straight for p-trap, either in description... Trap at the highest point of your down down does a p trap have to be straight you begin to smell odor! And vent, p-traps are more commonly installed in top floors and in wall-mounted,... As long as the original poster higher than drain pipe p-trap had contained, thus making maintenance.. Magnā familiā habitat '' how should I run the new tile drain as needed in minutes... Can use a flexible waste connector pipe from the wall and pointing up, then do a bend... I had a similar situation to you and ended up doing what you see in the PhD interview below. Stump, such that a pair of opposing vertices are in the 4″ cast iron feet. The washer plumbing drains straight down in the center not the full depth of the p-trap you. Out the trap arm pipe where it connects to the local home Improvement stack!...