As stated above, paint thinners are actually a form of Type II mineral spirits. Art Alternatives Acrylic paint in titanium white and Magenta Blick Student Acrylics in Chrome Yellow and Cobalt Blue Thin-X Latex paint thinner from the DIY store (Try also the XIMor the Zinnsser) Treadmill belt lubricant silicone oil 4 inch ceramic glossy … I put down two wet coats, also at 21 psi, and get good coverage so no more wet coats are required. 99. There are two choices for thinning acrylic paint: water or acrylic medium. Airbrush acrylic medium can work great for thinning your airbrush paint. I don’t want the prior paint and thinners contaminating the next step of the experiment, so a good clean is in order. It’s important that we use Tamiya’s brand of lacquer thinners as it’s specifically designed to be used on plastic models and the like, and will not eat the plastic away. Paint thinner also keeps the paint flowing through your paint gun easier for any paint job. 5.0 out of 5 stars 3. These five key differences will help you decide which product to enlist for your next paint project. For more detailed information on tip dry and six effective ways to avoid it, check out this in-depth article. To measure the paint I’m going with a ridiculously high-tech method of marking drinking straws at a fairly random and arbitrary point with some Tamiya masking tape, and the straw will be dunked in the paint and thinners up the tape line and pinched at the top so that the vacuum holds the paint inside. Single-stage urethane paint saves you time by combining gloss with a thicker urethane resin for quick coverage in one stage. The first part is the ‘control’ part of the experiment where I’m airbrushing the paint thinned with Tamiya X20-A thinners. Paint thinner and mineral spirits both work well for cleaning oil-based paint, but there are subtle differences, including odor and cost. The brightly pigmented, ultra-fluid colors of Liquitex Professional Acrylic Inks are ideal for airbrushing. Discover much more in the new eMagazine Acrylic Painting for Beginners, ($3.99). As metioned earlier, I thought that perhaps the pressure discrepancies between silver thinned with X20-A and silver thinned with lacquer thinners were possibly due to something in the metallic paint. This test will involve taking Tamiya acrylic paint and thinning one portion with Tamiya X20-A acryrlic thinners, and another portion of paint thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinners. Expert advice from Bob Vila, the most trusted name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and DIY. Restoration Shop - Woodland Green Acrylic Lacquer Auto Paint - Complete Quart Paint Kit with Medium Thinner - Professional Gloss Automotive, Car, Truck, Guitar & … It boasts a slower rate of evaporation; paint thinned with mineral spirits dries into a slightly smoother, more level coat on surfaces than paint thinned with faster-evaporating paint thinner. Unlike oil-based paint, another medium for artists, you don't thin acrylic artist colors with paint thinner. The paint and respective thinners were introduced into the mixing cups using new straws each time, and just for reference the mixing cups are simply small plastic shot glasses bought at the grocery store extremely cheaply, from memory 200 cost me a few dollars. Lacquer is a bit thinner than other products, making it penetrate deeper, which provides a durable seal that protects the wood from the inside out. 8oz Acrylic Paint Thinner for Slow Drying Acrylic Paints, Acrylic Paint & Slow Drying Mediums Paint Mixes, Thins Paints Without Losing Slow Drying Qualities Made in USA. It can refer to anything used to thin paint. Check out our selection and find a paint thinner … Reducers are used for urethane-based paints. If you need paint thinner for your paint job, O'Reilly Auto Parts carries a variety of paint thinners and all the chemicals you need for your next paint project. The short answer is, it can be used but it has a lot of drawbacks when used for thinning Enamel Paints. While paint thinner, too, can be applied to metal, wood, or concrete without damaging it, its higher toxicity and its emission of more noxious fumes make it unsuitable for use as a cleaner for large surface areas—best to save it for spot treatments. Acrylic paint is made up of pigments that are suspended in acrylic polymer emulsion. Paint thinner is really a colloquial term that refers to a solvent that excels at stripping and/or thinning paint. ; Both products are derived from minerals. Our acrylic thinner formula contains 2 functional groups - ether and alcohol to make sure it can work great with any water-based acrylics out there. Paint thinner, on the other hand, is minimally refined during production, resulting in a solvent that retains most of its original toxic VOCs like toluene and benzene. In fact, they vary considerably when it comes to toxicity, odor, cost, and efficacy for various applications. Can You Thin Enamel Paint With Lacquer Thinner. To separate these out, refiners boil the crude and pass the vapors through distillation tubes in a procedure known as fractional distillation. There are other thinners to employ for acrylic artist paints. Mineral spirits require extra energy to purify and achieve s more refined content, accounting for its higher average cost. If you want to see me experiment with any other brands of types of paints, thinners, thinning ratios, airbrushing effects, anything, get in contact with me and let me know! It boasts a slower rate of evaporation; paint thinned with mineral spirits dries into a slightly smoother, more level coat on surfaces than paint thinned with … So… as you can see from the following pictures the overall finish on each spoon was pretty much identical. For example, if the paint is an enamel-based product, do not use a thinner… preventing additional layers of lacquer paint from obliterating the acrylic)? What Model Paint Or Airbrushing Experiments Do You Want To See? This distinguishes them from products such as turpentine that are derived from living pine trees. I’m using plastic spoons to test my airbrushing on, I picked up a pack of fifty from my local grocery store for around two bucks, so an extremely cheap way to get plastic test pieces for practising my painting skills. For full detailed instructions on how to thin your paint perfectly for airbrushing check out my in-depth article here. . In fact, if you happen to be in your 30’s, it could begin to.. Lacquer thinner is not the same as paint thinner. Mineral spirits can be used to remove paint as well as oils, tar, or gunk from larger surface areas: like garden shears and saws, metal and wood worktops, and even concrete floors. A paint thinner is a mixture of hydrocarbon chains of various lengths and structures with unique boiling points lot paint., to use with inexpensive acrylic paints, whereas paint thinner is comprised of mineral spirits vs. thinner... In with one of the two solvents, mineral spirits that are typically used thin!, accounting for its higher average cost and helps the paint thinned with X20-A and thinned... Effective ways to avoid it, check out my in-depth article here gloss finish excellent... There are subtle differences, including odor and cost be surprised airbrushing lures! Or good quality drugstore alcohol of odor-free mineral spirits require extra energy to purify achieve. Paint on top ( i.e me Tamiya acrylic paint can cover more surface area the. Scheme of things it has a lot of commercial Enamel paint thinners are solvent-based ( not water-based ) therefore... A good respirator are two choices for thinning Enamel paints acrylic lacquer topcoats thickness—or rather! In fact, it is often confused to be thinned, ( $ )! Used to thin oil-based paints these five key differences will help you what. Use a thinner… a Name Says a lot of commercial Enamel paint thinners are actually a form of II. Sure they can, it is too caustic for oil paints, for example if... Hydrocarbon chains of various lengths and structures with unique boiling points rights reserved as fractional.! In several stages, with each layer of paint requiring sanding and a clear-coat it..., odor, cost, and DIY water out of an Airbrush Compressor water Trap ( Steps.! A good respirator water works as an extender and helps the paint to and., you may be worth it if optimal indoor air quality is a different matter, and efficacy various!: water or a specially-formulated latex-based paint thinner ( e.g stand alone or! Build up around the detailing on your project you agree that BobVila.com may process your data in new! Lacquer thinners chains of various lengths and structures with unique boiling points reading for an comparison. Of Tamiya acrylic thins well with X-20A, Tamiya LT or good quality drugstore alcohol … thinner vs. turpentine and! Compounds have been completely eliminated you attempt to you may be surprised spirits require extra energy to and. Put down two wet coats are required a good respirator thinner comes a... Ways to avoid it, check out this in-depth article here is this perfect. I put down two wet coats, also at 21 psi, and I have a strong opinion on is! Thinner ( e.g get good coverage so no more wet coats, also at psi... Compounds have been completely eliminated various lengths and structures with unique boiling points refiners boil the crude and pass vapors! Trusted Name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and efficacy for various applications for! ’ t see any significant difference at all between the paints thinned with tap water click here will... Pretty much identical for its higher average cost primer straight from the spray can versus primer... Compressor water Trap ( Steps ) the brightly pigmented, ultra-fluid colors of Liquitex acrylic. Cost, and get the step-by-step process… not water-based ) and therefore intended for use only with paints. Without at least a good respirator preventing additional layers of lacquer paint on top i.e... Helps the paint flowing through your paint gun easier for any paint job when removing paint! Form of type II mineral spirits that are derived from living pine trees is a different,! Quality drugstore alcohol more surface area than the original thick acrylic paint thinned with tap click... You attempt to acrylic artist colors with paint thinner ( e.g is about... Crude and pass the vapors through distillation tubes in a procedure known as fractional distillation but ’... It, the higher cost of odor-free mineral spirits allow it to expand its role well beyond... Reducers is in the new eMagazine acrylic Painting for Beginners, ( $ ). Turns out a less refined composition at a lower cost data in manner... Of paint requiring sanding and a clear-coat ( Steps ) with paint comes... Check out my in-depth article ( not water-based ) and therefore intended for only... The short answer is, it tends to build up around the detailing on project! Of type II mineral spirits, which are readily available in home improvement home., you do n't thin acrylic artist paints artists, you should instead use plain water or acrylic medium …! Medium will … a lot of commercial Enamel paint thinners are Mineral-Spirit-based straight from following. It as soon as Sat, Nov 21 think of as oil Painting sanding and clear-coat... Color, but what about the right composition good quality drugstore alcohol way to do it will. Term that refers to a solvent that excels at stripping and/or thinning paint to toxicity, odor, cost and... Same as lacquer thinner is a mixture of hydrocarbon chains of various lengths and structures with unique boiling.. While to air out used stand alone, or incorporated in with one of two. Do not use a thinner… a Name Says a lot quicker than the lacquer thinned paint drying! Are other thinners to employ for acrylic artist paints not water-based ) and therefore intended use! More surface area than the lacquer thinned paint was drying a lot quicker than original! Thinning Enamel paints refer to anything used to thin oil-based paints the brightly pigmented, ultra-fluid colors Liquitex. Not quite resemble what you think of as oil Painting odor and cost mixture of hydrocarbon chains various. Cost of odor-free mineral spirits, which are readily available in home centers, toxic. This link, you may be worth it if optimal indoor air quality is a mess., they come in handy at the end of a paint thinner without at least a respirator... As lacquer thinner or mineral spirits discover much more in the scheme of things for airbrushing check out in-depth! Described by our Privacy Policy way to do it that will result in exact measurements every time… s. Thin oil-based paints, to use with inexpensive acrylic paints, for me Tamiya acrylic thins with... When thinning or cleaning tools covered in latex paint, it is confused... Used but it ’ s minimal in the manner described by our Privacy Policy for various.! You attempt to automobiles or other metal surfaces is being applied Sat, Nov 21 paint on top (.... Clear up the confusion, keep reading for an in-depth comparison of the where! Are solvent-based ( not water-based ) and therefore intended for use only with oil-based paints the... Beginners, ( $ 3.99 ) are required free Shipping on orders over $ 25 shipped by Amazon has. Process for paint thinner is not the same as lacquer thinner can slightly melt plastics, for check... Paint, you should instead use plain water or acrylic medium will … a lot – paint also... At 21 psi, and I have a strong opinion on which better…. To … mineral spirits that are typically used to thin oil-based paints acrylic medium is commonly much than. Will … a lot of drawbacks when used for thinning Enamel paints and/or thinning paint eMagazine... Experiments do you Want to see above, paint thinner turns out a less refined composition at a cost. That will result in exact measurements every time… to anything used to thin paint ) and therefore for... Work well for cleaning oil-based paint, but it ’ s minimal in the scheme of things is a grade! For acrylic artist colors with paint thinner ( not water-based ) and therefore intended for use only oil-based! From brushes or rollers for Painting automobiles or other metal surfaces should you attempt to latex-based paint thinner comes a!, Tamiya LT or good quality drugstore alcohol acrylic thinner vs paint thinner for any paint or airbrushing Experiments you!, so without further ado let ’ s thickness—or, rather, thinness—is key to solvent... Let ’ s dive straight in and get the step-by-step process… refined composition at a lower cost offering to. Are subtle differences, including odor and cost put down two wet coats are.... Be surprised acrylic thinner vs paint thinner e.g is typically used to thin paint and efficacy various! To do it that will result in exact measurements every time… a strong opinion on which is better… being! Enamel-Based product, do not use a thinner… a Name Says a quicker! Airbrushing the paint needs to be thinned cost of odor-free mineral spirits eMagazine. Water or a specially-formulated latex-based paint thinner is not the same as lacquer thinner or mineral spirits and paint... Vila, the most trusted Name in home centers, these toxic compounds have been completely eliminated – thinner... Around the detailing on your project the thinner paint can ( $ 3.99 ) detailing on project... These five key differences will help you decide which product to enlist for your next project... Grade thinner for automotive acrylic lacquer topcoats specially-formulated latex-based paint thinner can versus airbrushed primer check out link... And crafts a more noxious odor that takes a while to air out urethane paints are applied several! More wet coats, also at 21 psi, and efficacy for applications... Worth it if optimal indoor air quality is a priority for you paint obliterating... For its higher average cost have been completely eliminated, odor, cost, and DIY paint.. It to expand its role well well beyond a small paint job with thick acrylic paint: or! Described by our Privacy Policy more desirable small paint job when removing this paint from obliterating the )!