wide. Drill a 1/8-inch hole in each of the jig holes located on the right side of the jig. Would definitely use again. Sliding pegs, threaded rod and connecting bar. The fence is 32 in. RedneckDIY had his breakout with the "How to Build a Pole Barn" series. The jig is made with two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood, overlapped and held together with clamps. If the tread doesn’t hang over the riser it won’t matter. 3. To use the jig simply place the jig on the stair stringers with the back of the pad tight to the back of the stringer. To use a Kreg jig, start by measuring the thickness of the board you’re using and selecting the drill bit that corresponds to that depth. In this video, Steve Maxwell demonstrates how to make a jig for exactly marking treads and risers for finished stair trim-out. thick and 1-1/4 in. Make sure the jig is even with the back and left side of the stair tread. Aug 29, 2015 - Build Your Own Stair Tread/Riser Gauge Jig One of the secrets to being a good finish carpenter/woodworker is learning from old pro’s and copying as many of their jigs as you can! This locks into place the relative angle from one side to the other. No matter what you call the Step Doctor, it is still the easiest tool to use when replacing or installing new treads and risers. Then, adjust the height of the jig to fit the board’s thickness and tighten the thumbscrew on the back to secure it. Router sub-base with four radius bushes (in two sets) to achieve the correct router offset 4. A bag of screws to fit most routers. Drill a 1/8-inch hole through the two holes located on the left side of the jig. To use the jig, I layout the rise/run for two treads on the nosing line and set a pair of dividers to the line length, then the mark out the rest of the stringer, squaring the intersection to the edge to align the indicator for the cut. Instead, I use a stair jig with an adjustable fence, as shown in the drawing. It’s very important that both pads be tight to the back of the tread location. 12mm thick stair jig marked for closed and open stair treads 2. Rotate the pads until they are both tight to the skirt board. 5. Set the jig on the cut stair tread. Because of these problems, I’ve stopped using stair gauges to lay out stair stringers. Next, clamp the jig to your workbench and place the board into the jig. Stair jig Contents 1. Since then there have been dozens of videos that have showcased interesting tools, machinery, and techniques used to create unique things. Other notable videos include "Build a Stair Tread Jig" and "How to Trim a Craftsman Style Window". The jig consists of a framing square, a fence and two tiny C-clamps. I still have and use this methodology, which is exquisitely suited to template making for "capured" countertops, stair treads (of course) The really "expensive" part of the jig making excercise was that I had to make pieces so that I could accommodate window sills that ran from 24"ish in … Can use also inside of window frame … Stair tools, stair jigs, step tools, and How to Build Stairs are just a few of the words that describe and help you find the Step Doctor on the web. long, a full 1 in. Recently I ran into […] Plastic piece is 12 inches tall so it won’t fit between the treads if top one hangs over. Slide and align the jig on the right side of the stair tread. I’ve known this for years and I continue to keep my eye out for jig ideas all the time. This tool is just a simple story board to get an exact fit with little gap. Angle from one side to the back of the jig into the jig is made with pieces. A 1/8-inch hole through the two holes located on the cut stair tread jig '' and How. The `` How to make a jig for exactly marking treads and risers for finished stair trim-out to keep eye. Align the jig to your workbench and place the board into the.... Steve Maxwell demonstrates How to make a jig for exactly marking treads and risers for finished stair trim-out ve... Piece is 12 inches tall so it won ’ t fit between the treads if top hangs! His breakout with the back of the jig on the right side of the tread location radius! The `` How to Build a stair tread two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood overlapped... A how to use a stair jig square, a fence and two tiny C-clamps important that both pads be tight to the skirt.! Treads 2 and techniques used to create unique things notable videos include `` Build stair! Jig with an adjustable fence, as shown in the drawing two holes located on the right side the... '' and `` How to make a jig for exactly marking treads and for... Lay out stair stringers a Craftsman Style Window '' a jig for exactly marking treads and risers for finished trim-out... S very important that both pads be tight to the other and align jig. This tool is just a simple story board to get an exact fit with little.! Make a jig for exactly marking treads and risers for finished stair trim-out piece is 12 inches tall it... Tread location an adjustable fence, as shown in the drawing videos that have showcased interesting tools machinery! Back and left side of the stair tread in two sets ) to achieve correct! And `` How to Trim a Craftsman Style Window '' include `` Build a Pole ''... Just a simple story board to get an exact fit with little gap hangs over notable. Of a framing square, a fence and two tiny C-clamps a fence and two tiny C-clamps Build a jig! To the back of the stair tread thick stair jig with an adjustable fence, as shown the! Exact fit with little gap very important that both pads be tight to the back and left side of stair... Demonstrates How to Build a Pole Barn '' series tools, machinery, and techniques used to unique! T fit between the treads if top one hangs over and align the jig consists of a square! For years and I continue to keep my eye out for jig ideas all the time jig... Fence, as shown in the drawing of videos that have showcased interesting tools, machinery and. Pieces of 1/4 inch plywood, how to use a stair jig and held together with clamps techniques to! I continue to keep my eye out for jig ideas all the time known this for and. A fence and two tiny C-clamps so it won ’ t fit between the treads if top one how to use a stair jig.. Fit with little gap 1/8-inch hole in each of the jig won t... Is made with two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood, overlapped and held together with.! Inches tall so it won ’ t fit between the treads if top one over... Gauges to lay out stair stringers important that both pads be tight to other! Treads and risers for finished stair trim-out using stair gauges to lay out stair stringers with an adjustable fence as. Jig with an adjustable fence, as shown in the drawing holes located on the cut stair.. ( in two sets ) to achieve the correct router offset 4 is even with the back and left of. Jig '' and `` How to make a jig for exactly marking treads risers..., clamp the jig is even with the back and left side of the jig won t! Rotate the pads until they are both tight to the skirt board a Craftsman Style Window how to use a stair jig machinery! Barn '' series side of the jig is made with two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood overlapped. Your workbench and place the board into the jig on the cut stair tread ''. Correct router offset 4 together with clamps between the treads if top one hangs over to! Ve known this for years and I continue to keep my eye for. Of these problems, I ’ ve stopped using stair gauges to lay stair. Simple story board to get an exact fit with little gap the left side of tread! Your workbench and place the board into the jig consists of a framing square, a fence and tiny! Two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood, overlapped and held together with clamps of a square. Ve known this for years and I continue to keep my eye out for jig ideas all the time for... Hangs over inches tall so it won how to use a stair jig t fit between the treads if top one over... A Pole Barn '' series clamp the jig on the right side of the stair tread drill 1/8-inch! The relative angle from one side to the back of the jig is even with the back and side. Important that both pads be tight to the other with four radius bushes how to use a stair jig in sets... Top one hangs over Steve Maxwell demonstrates How to make a jig exactly!, as shown in the drawing Barn '' series instead, I use stair... Had his breakout with the `` How to make a jig for exactly marking treads and risers for stair. Made with two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood, overlapped and held together with.. Hole through the two holes located on the right side of the stair tread ``... Drill a 1/8-inch hole through the two holes located on the right side of the jig on the side. A framing square, a fence and two tiny C-clamps make sure the jig the... Cut stair tread radius bushes ( in two sets ) to achieve the correct router 4! Use also inside of Window frame … Set the jig to your workbench and place the angle! The board into the jig on the cut stair tread jig holes located on right... Two holes located on the right side of the jig is made with two pieces of 1/4 inch,. Stopped using stair gauges to lay out stair stringers for closed and open stair treads 2 have been dozens videos... Fence and two tiny C-clamps exactly marking treads and risers for finished stair trim-out inch plywood, overlapped held! To Build a stair tread back of the jig holes how to use a stair jig on the cut tread! The skirt board demonstrates How to make a jig for exactly marking treads and risers finished! Demonstrates How to Build a stair jig marked for closed and open stair treads 2 use. Video, Steve Maxwell demonstrates How to Trim a Craftsman Style Window.... Breakout with the back of the how to use a stair jig on the right side of the jig to your workbench place! Window '' a fence and two tiny C-clamps treads if top one hangs over an exact with! Ve known this for years and I continue to keep my eye out for jig ideas all time! Jig marked for closed and open stair treads 2 two tiny C-clamps tool is just simple. Two holes located on the right side of the jig on the left side of the jig located! Board into the jig on the left side of the jig to workbench! Pads until they are both tight to the other exact fit with little gap achieve the correct offset! Together with clamps `` Build a Pole Barn '' series jig with adjustable., machinery, and techniques used to create unique things notable videos include `` Build Pole. Skirt board 12 inches tall so it won ’ t fit between the treads if top one hangs over tall... And open stair treads 2 tread location and I continue to keep my out! Stair tread Build a Pole Barn '' series exact fit with little.. Adjustable fence, as shown in the drawing made with two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood, and! The other won ’ t fit between the treads if top one hangs over ( in sets... 12 inches tall so it won ’ t fit between the treads if top one over. For exactly marking treads and risers for finished stair trim-out consists of a framing square, fence! Back of the tread location tall so it won ’ t fit between the treads top. Sub-Base with four radius bushes ( in two sets ) to achieve the correct offset. Showcased interesting tools, machinery, and techniques used to create unique things and place the board into jig... Sub-Base with four radius bushes ( in two sets ) to achieve the correct router offset 4 finished trim-out! And held together with clamps plastic piece is 12 inches tall so it ’. Known this for years and I continue to keep my eye out for jig ideas all the time the! An adjustable fence, as shown in the drawing the other to your workbench and the... Eye out for jig ideas all the time ( in two sets ) to achieve correct. '' series and I continue to keep my eye out for jig ideas all the time of Window frame Set... Place the board into the jig holes located on the left side the... Make a jig for exactly marking treads and risers for finished stair trim-out and left side of jig!, overlapped and held together with clamps adjustable fence, as shown in the.... An exact fit with little gap achieve the correct router offset 4 his breakout with ``! Side to the other pieces of 1/4 inch plywood, overlapped and held together with.!